Bother: a wobbling steerer tube

davis
davis Posts: 2,506
edited June 2010 in The workshop
My headset felt like it was "clonking" on the way in today. I whipped the stem and spacers off, and there's now an exposed steerer tube. If I put the brakes on and grab the tube, I can feel a definite wobble coming from somewhere in the head tube. The forks move very slightly too.

I'd guess it's bad, any clues?

It's a 2010 Specialized Roubaix, with integrated headset, if it helps.

Edit: I should also mention that the bolts which clamp the stem onto the steerer tube and the bolt which holds the "cap" on the steerer were pretty loose. Is the clonking likely to be gone by putting it all back together and doing it up tight?
Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.

Comments

• Wooliferkins
    Wooliferkins Posts: 2,060
    By taking the stem off you have removed what holds your forks in place. Rebuild, before you tighten the stem pre load the bearings with the nut in the top cap then retighten your stem. No need to grolly the top nut up just tight enough that there is no play and the bearings dont grate.
    Neil
    Help I'm Being Oppressed
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    Thank you; while you were posting I was out playing.

It turns out the top cap was indeed loose, and so were the stem nuts. I've tightened those to about "tight" but not madly so (i.e. not as tight as I could with a multi-tool and only one hand) and cleaned up the bearing race surfaces. The play and knocking has pretty much vanished. I'll pootle home and repack with grease and torque wrench the bolts tonight.

Thanks.
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.