bunnyhops !

biff55
biff55 Posts: 1,404
edited June 2010 in MTB general
what position should the cranks / pedals be in to flip up the rear wheel ?
some times i can pull it off ( snigger ) , other times i dont.
so was just thinking about how you consciously get in positon to do it ?
P.s. using HT bike with flats.
thanks for any tips peeps.

Comments

• fredy
    fredy Posts: 308
    The best tip i ot for bunny hops is to practice just bring the back up, not the front. Just ride along and try to lift up the rear. If thats not working start off by doing it stationary. I'm still learning though and trying to get higher. Never try to bunny hop onto a bench before you are acctually able to bunny hop at least as high as the bench!
  • JonnyN
    JonnyN Posts: 181
    pedals level.... get the back of the bike up by "sweeping" the pedals back and up at the same time.
    "Time you enjoy wasting, is not a waste of time"

"I'm too young to be too old for this shit"

Specialized FSRxc Expert 2008
    Kona Stinky 2008 (Deceased)
    Trek Scratch Air 8 2010 (Work in Progress)
  • Oxygen Thief
    Oxygen Thief Posts: 649
    I would have thought you angle your toes down, then you can push back and up on the pedals?!
  • dan shard
    dan shard Posts: 722
    The way I learned to do it was by pulling the front end up and then lightening the back whilst twisting the handlebars forward. Took a few go's to get it right but now I can get it up no problem (snigger) without even thinking about the twisting the bars
  • Kiblams
    Kiblams Posts: 2,423
    fredy wrote:
    The best tip i ot for bunny hops is to practice just bring the back up, not the front. Just ride along and try to lift up the rear. If thats not working start off by doing it stationary. I'm still learning though and trying to get higher. Never try to bunny hop onto a bench before you are acctually able to bunny hop at least as high as the bench!

This.
  • JayKingFunk
    JayKingFunk Posts: 411
    Like others have said, practice bringing the rear wheel up on its own first.

Toes pointing down so you can push into the pedals with your feet.

It helps if you keep your body relaxed too!

J
    I love the sound my tyres make on dusty single track!
  • Boy Lard
    Boy Lard Posts: 445
    I'm struggling to get the front wheel up in the air. As I recall it used to be really easy on my BMX 20ish years ago. There is no way I could get it high enough to manual, not that I think my skills are up to that anyway. I seem to put in massive effort for no outcome. :(
  • MacAndCheese
    MacAndCheese Posts: 1,944
    Boy Lard wrote:
    I'm struggling to get the front wheel up in the air. As I recall it used to be really easy on my BMX 20ish years ago. There is no way I could get it high enough to manual, not that I think my skills are up to that anyway. I seem to put in massive effort for no outcome. :(

The tip that solved this for me was the pushing down on the bars first, push down and then pull up and lean back in a kind of scooping action. When I first nailed this technique it worked so well I fell straight off the back, where as before I'd been lucky to get the front a foot off the ground.
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Orange Alpine 160
  • tsenior
    tsenior Posts: 664
    this is good stuff

i can get the back wheel up no problem but keep hurting the outside of my wrist when trying to do front and back similtaneously

this was more of a jerk upwards will try the scooping action described.
  • biff55
    biff55 Posts: 1,404
    cheers men.

dan shard wrote:
    The way I learned to do it was by pulling the front end up and then lightening the back whilst twisting the handlebars forward. Took a few go's to get it right but now I can get it up no problem (snigger) without even thinking about the twisting the bars

^^this tip sounds the way to go.
    which is the best way to practice , moving forward or at a standstill ?
  • alexj2233
    alexj2233 Posts: 381
    I find it's easier to do it whilst going along, that way you don't have to worry about balancing.

Whilst Dan Shard's advice is good, if your struggling to lift the back up, the best way to practice is, like others have said, just lift the back up by scooping back and up with your feet and ignore lifting the front up. Then once you have that dialled just add in the front wheel. That's the way i learnt. :D
  • Turrican
    Turrican Posts: 755
    Check out the vid here from Doddys "how to bunny hop vid" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3DdkcX5o9w
    Hope this helps
    I don't have a bike addiction problem.....bikes seems to have a problem with me.....it just can't seem to stay on.

http://www.moredirt.co.uk/users/FlowRideR661/
    http://flowrider661.pinkbike.com/
  • Jedi
    Jedi Posts: 827
    2 pushes to bunny hop :)