Need a cheap set of spare wheels, any recommendations?

badboybubby
badboybubby Posts: 4
edited July 2010 in MTB beginners
Hello,

I want to buy a spare set of 26" MTB wheels. Currently I have Bontranger Ranger rims the 6 bolt disc type with Shimano Hubs. I have a budget of £170.

Do you have any recommendations? These rims will only be used for light trail work, no jumping at all.

thanks

bbb :D

Comments

• Glynnd111
    Glynnd111 Posts: 169
    Take at look at superstar wheels they fit right into your budget and are prety damm good
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Looks like your 'spares' are going to be better than your non spares... :shock:
  • hoots
    hoots Posts: 134
    Hey there, don't know if you'd be interested, but I have a spare set of new wheels that have just been taken off my wifes brand new XC bike. They are Shimano Deore hubs (6 bolt), with black spokes and Mavic 317 rims.

The wheels have only been used once ('cos my wife couldn't wait to get out on the bike!), as I've fitted some super-light Hope Pro 3 XC wheels to the bike.

The wheels would be about £119 from Merlin, but if you want them, you can have 'em for £60 plus post.

Drop me a line if you're interested.

Cheers.
  • cavegiant
    cavegiant Posts: 1,546
    this could be a great time to learn how to build a wheel, quite fun and easy with the assistance of youtube. The only tool you need is a GOOD spoke key (I have a stand but stopped using it as easier to build on the frame.

+1 on superstar, the guys there are nice AND they make good stuf for cheap.
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?
  • merlie
    merlie Posts: 276
    hoots wrote:
    Hey there, don't know if you'd be interested, but I have a spare set of new wheels that have just been taken off my wifes brand new XC bike. They are Shimano Deore hubs (6 bolt), with black spokes and Mavic 317 rims.

The wheels have only been used once ('cos my wife couldn't wait to get out on the bike!), as I've fitted some super-light Hope Pro 3 XC wheels to the bike.

The wheels would be about £119 from Merlin, but if you want them, you can have 'em for £60 plus post.

Drop me a line if you're interested.

Cheers.

still got those wheels ?
  • merlie
    merlie Posts: 276
    hoots

still got those wheels going spare ?
  • kaytronika
    kaytronika Posts: 580
    cavegiant wrote:
    this could be a great time to learn how to build a wheel, quite fun and easy with the assistance of youtube. The only tool you need is a GOOD spoke key (I have a stand but stopped using it as easier to build on the frame.

+1 on superstar, the guys there are nice AND they make good stuf for cheap.

I've considered this as I'm after putting a disc hub on my front wheel for the Avalanche I ride.

Is there a massive saving to be had? Will I kill myself?
    --
    '09 Carrera Fury
    '94 GT Timberline FS
    '89 Saracen Tufftrax
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    merlie wrote:
    hoots

still got those wheels going spare ?

PM him, he's probably not watching your thread!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.