What happened to Suntour?

rieko
rieko Posts: 121
edited June 2010 in MTB general
What happened? When I was younger some of there stuff was the muts nuts.
Giant TCR
Giant TCX

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Some of it still is - they make a very good high end range of forks. Unfortunately they also do a budget range which we see more of in the uk.

Shimano and SRAM have sort of took over in the drivetrain departments.
  • fredy
    fredy Posts: 308
    im quite liking my epicons, but then i have nothing else to compare too.
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    I've got a rather cheap bike at the minute with Suntour XCM forks, and MY GOD they are awful, youd have to weigh 25stone to get full travel on them, and the rebound is like jumping on a trampoline. Its put me off suntours forks at the very least.
  • Oxygen Thief
    Oxygen Thief Posts: 649
    Yeah the same with my Suntour's but I wasn't exactly expecting great things from a fork that costs £50. Be pretty stupid to really.
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    Yeah the same with my Suntour's but I wasn't exactly expecting great things from a fork that costs £50. Be pretty stupid to really.

You've got a Carrera Vulcan too right? IMO the forks arent even worth £50, i hate hate hate them for anything other than jumping, as the stiffness makes them perfect for taking big hits.
  • wardy235
    wardy235 Posts: 106
    guy's who are complaining about the rubbish cheap forks. If you were a company you wouldn't make amazing cheap ones as then the high end stuff wouldn't sell and if you're that bothered upgrade your forks the more you invest the better the forks so stop bitching about suntour !!!
  • Oxygen Thief
    Oxygen Thief Posts: 649

You've got a Carrera Vulcan too right? IMO the forks arent even worth £50, i hate hate hate them for anything other than jumping, as the stiffness makes them perfect for taking big hits.

Yeah. I'm not really bothered to be honest. I didn't expect anything better. Rather too stiff than too soft though I think.
  • bartimaeus
    bartimaeus Posts: 1,812
    What happened to Suntour? My VX is in my garage on my road bike... back in 1986 this was on a par with 105 I think, but now it needs some lube.
    Vitus Sentier VR+ (2018) GT Grade AL 105 (2016)
    Giant Anthem X4 (2010) GT Avalanche 1.0 (2010)
    Kingley Vale and QECP Trail Collective - QECP Trail Building
  • CustomReign
    CustomReign Posts: 185
    I fondly remember my X-Press under-bar gear shifters that were way better than Shimano in my opinion.

Raliegh Memphis - RIP
  • 4ndyW
    4ndyW Posts: 68
    Yeah i had a bike geared up with XC Pro back in the day....