"Bad cycle lane kills cyclist"

prj45
prj45 Posts: 2,208
edited June 2010 in Commuting chat
Er, or perhaps it was the large lorry that ran him over?
A cycle lane on a road where a father of three died under the wheels of a cement mixer has been condemned by police for being dangerously narrow.

Let's not count on the police or the media actually blaming the right thing a?

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard/ ... o-tight.do

Comments

• Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Interesting quote from the policeman involved - 'This is not a cycle lane - this is a gutter'
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    And that shows why I generally ignore cycle lanes.

I don't know the road where it happened, but I imagine the truck tried to squeeze past the cyclist. Maybe if the cyclist was riding primary so that the truck could not have overtaken he'd still be here now.

A really sad story and a waste of a life.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    These cycle lanes suck you in, they often start wide and end up (on pinch points or bends) no wider than your handle bars. However, the death didn't occur because of the cycle lane, it occurred because of dangerous driving. The Evening Standard can't blame the cyclist, so it blames the cycle lane; it won't in a million years, consider that the driver might have responsibility!
  • s1lko
    s1lko Posts: 39
    I'm very familiar with this stretch of road. It's three lanes but it may as well be a race track, with people competing for pole position as they approach the area around Victoria station.
  • davmaggs
    davmaggs Posts: 1,008
    I the think that the headline on the original newspaper story is a little fairer as the lane was under spec, but that wasn't claimed as the cause of the accident.

What it does flag up in my mind is whether cycle lanes in wide roads cause me to assume that there is sufficient space. On obviously stupid lanes I ignore them and ride primary, but on wider roads I wonder if there's a false illusion of space that means that on an off day (e.g bit tired to pay full attention) do the white lanes draw me in to following them a bit sheep-like and thus become a kerb hugger without realising.
  • I'm sure I've read reports where it has been shown that motorists tend to give cyclists LESS room when there's a cycle lane as it becomes like a territorial line... whereas motorists generally give cycles more room when there's no marked cycle lane...
    Earn Cashback @ Wiggle, CRC, Evans, AW Cycles, Alpine Bikes, ProBikeKit, Cycles UK :

http://www.topcashback.co.uk/ref/stewartmead
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Firstly, this is terrible my thoughts are with the cyclists wife and three children.

Secondly, I don't see how or what role the cycle lane played in killing the cyclist.

I know the lane its narrow, its pointless. The point is that a cement mixer turned left and killed the cyclist. The focus should be on why the driver didn't or couldn't see the cyclist before it drove over him. And if the driver could see th cyclist, then why did the vehicle still manage to drive over him.

That lane, and most other cycle lanes need reviewing but lets not use it to mask other all the other aspects.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • DonDaddyD
    edited June 2010
    Repeated post.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • DonDaddyD
    edited June 2010
    Repeated post
    Food Chain number = 4

• DonDaddyD
    edited June 2010
    Repeeat post
    Food Chain number = 4

• DonDaddyD wrote:
    Firstly, this is terrible my thoughts are with the cyclists wife and three children.

Secondly, I don't see how or what role the cycle lane played in killing the cyclist.

I know the lane its narrow, its pointless. The point is that a cement mixer turned left and killed the cyclist. The focus should be on why the driver didn't or couldn't see the cyclist before it drove over him. And if the driver could see th cyclist, then why did the vehicle still manage to drive over him.

That lane, and most other cycle lanes need reviewing but lets not use it to mask other all the other aspects.

+ 1 to all four posts.
  • jedster
    jedster Posts: 1,717
    I agree with others, this should not preclude a serious investigation of the truck driver's driving but I can't help thinking that a big civil damages claim against the authorities for that ridiculous cycle lane might be helpful in stopping some of the stupidity that goes on with road layouts