Tyre completely deflated for no apparent reason

pastryboy
pastryboy Posts: 1,385
edited June 2010 in Commuting chat
Stepped off my bike to investigate rubbing disc brake and air was coming out of the rear tyre at an alarming rate, it deflated before I could estabish where it was coming from.

I pumped it back up a bit to try and figure out where the problem was but it seemed ok so I carried on and did the last four miles home without issue/ Put a bit more air in later on and clocked up 28 miles on it today - still perfect and not lost any air.

I didn't do anything other than simply re-inflate and there was no sign of any damage to tyre/valve.

Any ideas what could have occurred - not heard of this happening before?

Comments

• prj45
    prj45 Posts: 2,208
    Drugs?
  • always_tyred
    always_tyred Posts: 4,965
    I think it might be that if the tyre gets below a certain pressure (and depending on the presence of any dirt on the o-ring of the valve) there isn't enough to hold the valve closed. Not experienced rapid deflation like that, but I suppose it could be so cruddy that it simply stuck open or got knocked/twisted somehow so it couldn't seat.

My hunch is that it will fail completely at some stage, probably just after you reinflate it. I'd just carry a spare tube and keep your eye on it to see if it goes flat unusually quickly.
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Dirt in the valve? Had a similar problem - blew the tyre up and it cleaned the valve and no more problems
  • pastryboy
    pastryboy Posts: 1,385
    Dust cap always on - it looked nice and clean and wasn't loose/unscrewed as far as I could see (schrader)
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    I refer you to prj45's suggestion.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!