11-32 Cassette for hills

LazyLadyJ
LazyLadyJ Posts: 13
I am looking at buying a 11-32 cassette to help me up the hills in france. I know I will need a chain, but confused with the rear mechanism, can someone recommend a good one that will work? It needs to be a mountain bike one and I have no clue about them.
My set up is ten speed, tiagra.
Looking at IRD cassette and chain.
:?

Comments

• dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    I thought Tiagra was 9 speed. In any case you will definitely need to invest in an MTB
    rear mech if you use a 32 tooth rear cog set. See your LBS or shop online for the various options that Shimano has available. They range from inexpensive to expensive. Your choice. As for the cassette and chain pretty much any brand will do as long as it's Shimano compatible. Here again spend as little or as much as you like. I should also note that MTB cassettes(from Shimano) are not made in 10 speed(9 only). I'm guessing that's what your Tiagra is. Although YOU need to check this before you buy. If I'm not mistaken Tiagra used to be 8 speed??? Anyone???
  • LazyLadyJ
    LazyLadyJ Posts: 13
    :oops: I have just looked at my bike and yes, it is not tiagra, its 105.

I am just as confused with the mountian bike names, which name is entry level? which would be like 105?
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    LazyLadyJ wrote:
    :oops: I have just looked at my bike and yes, it is not tiagra, its 105.

I am just as confused with the mountian bike names, which name is entry level? which would be like 105?

Your problem just changed. Now you have a bike with a 10 speed shifter on it and you can't buy a 11-32 cassette in 10. Only 9. However the MTB rear mech will work just fine with your 105 shifters. Some people have reported good luck in using 10 speed shifters
    with a 9 speed cassette, so maybe a trip to the LBS to explain you plight might be in order. I hate to say it will all work because I just don't know for sure and, more than likely, neither will you until you try it. Good luck.
  • TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    IRD do the 10 speed 12-32. Any chain is fine.

It's worth trying with your existing mech before you buy a new one. I think it depends on the
    dropout, but I got a 30 cog to work with Ultegra and there's plenty of room spare. Setup so
    big-big works, if you get anywhere near small-small, the chain starts flapping, but no problems.

If you do need a mech, I think Deore is about the 105 level (but not that sure on the MtB stuff)
    exercise.png
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    FWIW Shimano LX is the MTB equivalent of 105 i.e. 3rd in-line g'set. The size of sprocket is dictated by the distance on the rear mech between the mounting bolt and the top pulley - it's very unlikely that a short-arm mech will work with a 32 sprocket. In terms of cassettes, biggest I've ever fitted is 28t - there's also the new SRAM Apex which has a 11-32 10 speed cassette (PG1050)
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • FransJacques
    FransJacques Posts: 2,148
    go on to Parker International and get a Marchisio last sproket. £10 max, best tenner you'll ever spend. They make a 30t and that comes with me as a bailout. Leaving me to climb happily in 39 x 27 knowing i have a 30 if necessary. If you need more direction in this just ask.
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.
  • boondog
    boondog Posts: 205
    can you explain how that works on a Shimano cassette?
    On mine (Ultegra) the last 3 sprockets are joined together, so would you put this in first and then sacrifice the highest sprocket (i.e the 12?)
    LazyLadyJ - are you on a compact chainset already ?
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,788
    There are a couple of issues running a big rear sprocket, like a 32, firstly the capacity of the rear mech and then whether there is clearance between the top pulley and the sprocket. Rear mechs are often available in short, medium and long cage for this reason. I have a 28 sprocket with SRAM Force and only JUST works.

The capacity is the difference between the front rings and the smallest to biggest sprockets. So 34-50 12-32 = 36 which is massive! I think a short cage 105 has a max size of 28 and a 28 capacity though you'll get by with a bit more.

You can run 9 speed cassettes and 10 speed shifters. Like all these things there's no black and white , they just get increasingly worse teh more you deviate from the recomendations.
  • boondog
    boondog Posts: 205
    you'd probably be ok on a 12-27 or 11-28 and a compact, that'll get you up just about anything.
    are you on a road bike or mountain bike ? and why do you think you need MTB parts ?
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    as has probably already been said

11-28 is available in 10 speed (Shimano and SRAM)

11-32 is available soon (Sram Apex)

also there is the SRAM XX cassettes in 11-32 and 11-36 but they are silly money

XT and XTR will go 10spd but it'll be later this year I think, maybe even 2011
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    Any chance you can fit a smaller inner chainwheel at the front instead? Might be simpler.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    just to update

Shimano is due to release 10spd XT and SLX in about a month, according to CRC

see http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=52312

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=52281
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer