Dave Lloyd Mega Challenge

benji90
benji90 Posts: 114
I am doing the Dave Lloyd Mega Challenge on Sunday (20th June) and am amazed to see that there are barely 200 people signed up!

I know that they had capacity to deal with 10 times that many, so why the poor take up?

Were people put off by the route or the price?

Just wondering as its always nice to do an event with a more people as it gives a better atmosphere. IMHO.

Comments

• brucey72
    brucey72 Posts: 1,086
    I did it last year and was very disappointed with the event for the money that I paid (poor signage was my main gripe having taken a 7 mile detour). My money is far tighter this year and in my opinion there are much better value for money events available such as the Richmond 5 Dale and Ryedale Rumble.
  • benji90
    Its my first time doing it - lets hope they have learned from their mistakes last year as my sense of direction is appalling!!
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    I'm a fairly fit rider, not one of the fastest, but I'm happy with the level I can ride it. But the DLMC is just too brutish for me, some of these sportives now are being custom designed for climbers. That's all well and good, but there are lots of riders while still wanting a challenge, would prefer a slightly flatter route. Besides, the whole sportive movement is lost on me, the people I know who do them regularly are comparative newcomers to the sport and I wonder if in a few years time there'll be less Sportives when riders realise they can get a group of mates together and ride these routes at their own pace whenever they want, for free.

There, I said it - I'm not a climber :lol:
  • Papapete
    Papapete Posts: 133
    I was also wondering the same thing. Why so few people?

I am signed up and have been for a while, but upon looking at the meters to be climbed and the distance again, and then again, it looks a beast.

I rode the Etape Du Dales last month and although did not get a great time I did it without putting a foot down on any hill. Now that was on my 'old' bike with a triple front and 12-27 rear cassette. I have now been using my 'new' bike which has a compact front and a 12-25 rear cassette (however new = carbon, old = alu). I'm a little worried that the gearing on new bike will not be sufficient. I'm going to give it a go but may be taking some spare cleats (or walk barefoot)!! I'm not being negative, just realisitic.

See you there Ben
  • benji90
    Cool - see you there.

I will be the one dying by the side of the road and wishing I had done more training!
  • CumbrianMan
    CumbrianMan Posts: 240
    Only 200 signed up ! Wondered why I've been getting bombarded with e-mails about this event.

I done it last year, and it was a brute, and that was without the finish at the top of Pen Barras (33% hairpin on it !).

Got back just before it rained as well, phew!

Papapete, I'd put your 27 on mate, you may need it with a compact. There's 2 particular steepish bits that'll get you zig-zagging on a 25 - just after the ford going up to Worlds End, and the climb a couple of miles out of Denbigh (Foel Gasyth on a map).

I recall that the road surfaces weren't great as well, so that saps your energy.
    "There are no hills, there is no wind, I feel no pain !"

"A bad day on the bike is always better than a good day in the office !"
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    I recall that the road surfaces weren't great as well, so that saps your energy.

They are bad, but its character building :wink:
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Papapete
    Papapete, I'd put your 27 on mate, you may need it with a compact. There's 2 particular steepish bits that'll get you zig-zagging on a 25 - just after the ford going up to Worlds End, and the climb a couple of miles out of Denbigh (Foel Gasyth on a map).

You got me worried now.

The 12-27 I have is 9 speed whereas I will need a 10 speed. How much different will it be with a 34/25 to a 34/27? I'm not that clued up on gear ratios's and therefore would assume easier, but by how much.

And the mention of 33% has me shaking already.
  • dodgy
    The 33% secton on the Bwlch Penbarras is mercifully shorty, but it's very real :twisted:
    Take care on the ford at the bottom of the cllimb up to World's End!
  • Simon51
    Simon51 Posts: 6
    The low numbers is a message to the organisers that they fleeced the riders big time last year. There were a lot of promises about how the team would treat you but quite frankly it was unprofessional and they charged a lot of money. It wasn't just down to inadequate road signage or the absolute lack of it, but route changes on the day (ie no Blwch Penbarras), no one on the finish line to greet you, collect your own certifcate out of a box, no food at the finish, bad communication and no gift, no thank you. It's not all bad there are some good elements such as feed stations but that is it!

I supported the event for the first opening two years, I am a local and use the roads and really wanted this to become the big one but sadly it's not close. Yes the route is good, but when you charging the money that is being asked then you need to give something back because routes are 'free' its only the managing of the route that costs money.

So this morning, I rode the 70% of the medium route as I do every three times a month but, the weather was awesome so I'm looking forward to the feedback and I hope its positive, I hope Dave Lloyd has listened to all the feedback last year and made a difference.

If you rode the DLMC, I hope you had a good day and can post your event expirience. I received an email from the organiser last week saying they may put a water station in at 30 miles, I was gobsmacked to read that the 1st feedstation did not come in until 50 miles, how on earth could you survive on a wet day with only 2 x 750ml of water for 50 miles in a sportive let alone on a hot day like today.

Looking forward to the feedback...
  • le_patron
    le_patron Posts: 494
    I rode the mega, as I did in 2008. Reason is that it's training for the Marmotte, good training as it's long and hard.

As such I don't really care about all the 'extras', just signs and feedstops please, and some other riders. As it was I rode by myself post Denbigh as there was not enough people about of a similar standard to form a group, plus it's hilly enough to not really need one anyway, so just struck on by myself.

Weather was perfect, as was signage and feed-stops. Roads are mostly in a shocking state, some have more potholes/crevasses than tarmac. How I would love it if they were all smooth. Never going to happen though.

The finish climb was a little awkward as various cars were trying to go up and down at same time on a single track road and it all became a bit crowded. Also not sure about the "5 miles to go and it's all downhill" sign on the descent from the stingers to Ruthin when it quite clearly isn't, seems that sign is wheeled out no matter what the route.

Camping was great, massive field, loads of space, lovely weather.

No brass band at finish, didn't see certificates, but then as I said i don't care about that, just pointing it out in case people wanted ticks in all the boxes. Glad there are no medals and other tat, they all go in bin eventually anyway, although water bottles (big ones) are always appreciated.

Assuming it keeps going, I'll ride it every year I do the Marmotte as it fits in really well with prep, but probably the only UK one I'll do.
  • harkmeadow
    harkmeadow Posts: 193
    I too rode the event this year. Cracking ride with fantastic weather, but those climbs are brutish. For £35 I think it was expensive, but personally coming from London way it was worth it to ride a route i'd never have experienced otherwise. I think for the money, considering (and i think this is right) nothing goes to charity it was expensive. There were no 'goodie' bags at the start nor finish either which is unusual for these events. That said there was plenty of gels and powders at the feed station.

The main gripe I have though is for the moronic riders who decide that it was too much hassle to put the used gel sachets in there jerseys, prefering to discard them over the beautiful course. May be a reason the signs got sabotaged last year...locals pi%%ed off having to pick up High5 wrappers. Particular note goies to the fat scowser on the green Bianchi, who proceeded to drop two gels wrappers in the space of a mile, then gave me a load of verbal when it was pointed out he may want to use the bin at the next stop!

If you see someone doing this kind of thing we owe it do ourselves as riders to ensure that its pointed out to them so we dont all get the same bad name.
  • benji90
    I rode the 100 mile Midi - or I attempted to at least!!

Brutish climbs, got cramp after a particularly steep sectiont at about 55 miles and ended up with a torn iliotibial tract! (I didnt know what it was either until the physio told me this morning!) I still managed to limp home, which I was quite proud of considering the pain I was in.

Organisation, I thought, was fantastic. Water stops put on at 30 and 70 miles as it was a really hot day. Feed stations at 40 and 84 (not at 50 as Simon51 stated). All were well stocked, the feed station at 84 in particular was very good. Very, friendly, helpful, enthusiasti/sympathetic staff througout the day. Signage was all spot on and marshalls at all the main turnings so you didnt miss them. Good timing equipment - you could view times on computer screen in finishing hall which was cool. Not sure what else they could have done to be honest - I thought it was a really great day. If not the hardest thing i have ever done!!

Harkmeadow - I COMPLETELY agree with you. Nothing p*sses me off more than to see people rip open and gel and then toss it into the hedge after they finished it. What are you worried about? Getting your polyester jersey sticky? Or maybe you think the extra weight might slow you down!? Honestly cyclists dont help themselves sometimes. I found all the locals and drivers that we met on the day to be very respectful and friendly but that is not going to last long if we sully their countryside with a load of gel wrappers and other rubish! Good on you for pulling him up on it Harmeadow! I cant imagine what he could say in response after such a blatantly antisocial act!
  • Harkmeadow, I agree, this also really winds me up.

The other thing that winds me up is ignorant narrow minded idiots who stereotype people. Did he tell you he was from Liverpool ?. I also spoke to this guy in passing and his accent was not like mine and I'm from Liverpool. In fact why did you mention this? If he was black would you have mentioned it ?.

By the way, you can't spell.
  • harkmeadow
    harkmeadow Posts: 193
    Fair point, although he certainly sounded from Liverpool...of course the other thing that gave it away was the fact he was whipping wheels off bikes at the end and leaving them propped on bricks..... :lol:
  • Papapete
    What a day...attempted the Mega but failed.

I had all intentions of completing up until the point I crossed the ford - on foot - and slipped and knocking something on the bike. As i attempted to remount on the uphill afterwards the chain jumped off the cassette and I crashed to the ground. A big thanks to the guy who stopped, and helped with getting me up and running again. A few tists of the adjuster barrel and away I go. I proceeded to the first water stop and asked for some mechanical assistance to be told there is none, try the first 'proper' feed stop. I did, still no help.

I proceeded on course as I was getting the use out of the cassette although limited. Made my way through Denbigh up the 'road to hell' when chain decided to jump off again (fortunately no crash this time!). Spent 15 munutes or so trying to get going, no joy. Phoned the emergency helpline given to us all on the back of the rider number - wrong number!! Some poor girl was receiving a few calls and had nothing to do with the event.

With the aid of the photographer at the top, managed to get 3 cogs on cassette going and proceeded to the next water stop. Again no mechanical assistance so took the decision to head back to HQ on the flattish A roads - a further 25+ miles.

Overall I kind of enjoyed the day but would have been a lot better if I could of got the bike running properly. Thanks to all who enquired if I was ok on the 'road to hell'
  • redddraggon
    Papapete wrote:
    What a day...attempted the Mega but failed.

I had all intentions of completing up until the point I crossed the ford - on foot - and slipped and knocking something on the bike. As i attempted to remount on the uphill afterwards the chain jumped off the cassette and I crashed to the ground. A big thanks to the guy who stopped, and helped with getting me up and running again. A few tists of the adjuster barrel and away I go. I proceeded to the first water stop and asked for some mechanical assistance to be told there is none, try the first 'proper' feed stop. I did, still no help.

I proceeded on course as I was getting the use out of the cassette although limited. Made my way through Denbigh up the 'road to hell' when chain decided to jump off again (fortunately no crash this time!). Spent 15 munutes or so trying to get going, no joy. Phoned the emergency helpline given to us all on the back of the rider number - wrong number!! Some poor girl was receiving a few calls and had nothing to do with the event.

With the aid of the photographer at the top, managed to get 3 cogs on cassette going and proceeded to the next water stop. Again no mechanical assistance so took the decision to head back to HQ on the flattish A roads - a further 25+ miles.

Overall I kind of enjoyed the day but would have been a lot better if I could of got the bike running properly. Thanks to all who enquired if I was ok on the 'road to hell'

Either the bike was FUBARed (meaning components changes required) or you should have been able to sort the issues yourself on the road?
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Harkmeadow wrote:
    Fair point, although he certainly sounded from Liverpool...of course the other thing that gave it away was the fact he was whipping wheels off bikes at the end and leaving them propped on bricks..... :lol:

:D:D:D:D:D

Back at him, hee hee. :D
  • Papapete

Either the bike was FUBARed (meaning components changes required) or you should have been able to sort the issues yourself on the road?

I understand where your coming from, I did try to fix myself but my limited knowledge of all things mechanical was not enough. Also, to make it clear, I am not having a go at the organisation, as I think I read that there would be no mechanical assistance, but the thing that did annoy me was being given the wrong emergency number.

Anyway, onwards and upwards, and I may try this event again if they find some tarmac for the roads!
  • Sprinty
    Sprinty Posts: 3
    Hi, For anyone who did this event on Sunday the photos are now online at

www.sprint-photo.co.uk

Cheers
    Mike Williams
  • Danky
    Danky Posts: 8
    Thanks Mike, however, is this all the photos there are? The times on the Penbarras ascent only go up to 5pm, and I know there were a fair few riders after that time (myself included!) and the photographer was there.

Also on the Stingers I passed comment on the climb out of Melin y Wig!! I'm intrigued to see how much pain I was really in!

Stuart
  • Danky
    Danky Posts: 8
    benji90 wrote:
    I rode the 100 mile Midi - or I attempted to at least!!

Brutish climbs, got cramp after a particularly steep sectiont at about 55 miles and ended up with a torn iliotibial tract! (I didnt know what it was either until the physio told me this morning!) I still managed to limp home, which I was quite proud of considering the pain I was in.

Organisation, I thought, was fantastic. Water stops put on at 30 and 70 miles as it was a really hot day. Feed stations at 40 and 84 (not at 50 as Simon51 stated). All were well stocked, the feed station at 84 in particular was very good. Very, friendly, helpful, enthusiasti/sympathetic staff througout the day. Signage was all spot on and marshalls at all the main turnings so you didnt miss them. Good timing equipment - you could view times on computer screen in finishing hall which was cool. Not sure what else they could have done to be honest - I thought it was a really great day. If not the hardest thing i have ever done!!

Harkmeadow - I COMPLETELY agree with you. Nothing p*sses me off more than to see people rip open and gel and then toss it into the hedge after they finished it. What are you worried about? Getting your polyester jersey sticky? Or maybe you think the extra weight might slow you down!? Honestly cyclists dont help themselves sometimes. I found all the locals and drivers that we met on the day to be very respectful and friendly but that is not going to last long if we sully their countryside with a load of gel wrappers and other rubish! Good on you for pulling him up on it Harmeadow! I cant imagine what he could say in response after such a blatantly antisocial act!

Sheesh, unlucky Ben, no wonder you were in so much pain, total respect for getting around as you did! Guess the appointment with the physio was more than fortuitous! I'll get in contact with you shortly

Also agree on the littering, I try to tell (kid) myself that the wrappers have 'fallen out' of pockets, but suspect otherwise. Certainly would have to have been a lot of holes in peoples jersey pockets!

Hell of ride out, managed the Mega, but only just, literally! Cramped up so badly on the last 10 miles, including the back of my thigh totally locking just after the first cattle grid on the Penbarras. Couple of minutes lying down with my head spinning, vision blurring, starting to yawn(!) and the muscles started to relax which seemed to help a little and then managed to crawl up to the top to get a silver!

I said afterwards 'Never again', but no I'm not so sure! If they can guarantee the weather next year, I may be tempted!

Organisation was great, no complaints at all, feed stops were ideal (for the Mega) and a good well stocked selection on hand, all the organisation guys looked after us, making sure we had enough fluids on board, and were friendly and helpful and full of encouragement, really can't knock it!

Maybe next year with a slightly less mountain top finish?????

Stu
  • personally I can't see why you'd want to finish a ride at the TOP of a big hill without also having the descent as part of the ride.
    from wikipedia, "from the summit it is dead-straight for over a mile downhill, which provides an exhilarating descent for cyclists who have struggled up the pass from Llanbedr".
  • redddraggon
    personally I can't see why you'd want to finish a ride at the TOP of a big hill without also having the descent as part of the ride.
    from wikipedia, "from the summit it is dead-straight for over a mile downhill, which provides an exhilarating descent for cyclists who have struggled up the pass from Llanbedr".

The Ruthin side of Bwlch Penbarass is a rubbish descent, far too narrow, poor surface, you end up having to drag your brakes down it if you want to be safe. And the bit you have quoted does not refer to the ruthin side.

Now the Descent of the Mold side, is loads wider and you don't need to touch the brakes til near the bottom. This side wasn't part of the DLMC.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • dodgy
    I was in the area on Sunday (as I often am), doing a circular from here on Wirral around the back of Moel Famau to Llandegla and I saw a surprisingly low number of riders. At first I didn't realise I was witnessing the DLMC, turnout looked really low. Maybe that was to do with the time I was there, dunno.

Oh, and I did warn about the ford at the bottom of World's End further up the thread :lol:
  • personally I can't see why you'd want to finish a ride at the TOP of a big hill without also having the descent as part of the ride.

The Ruthin side of Bwlch Penbarass is a rubbish descent, far too narrow, poor surface, you end up having to drag your brakes down it if you want to be safe. And the bit you have quoted does not refer to the ruthin side.

Now the Descent of the Mold side, is loads wider and you don't need to touch the brakes til near the bottom. This side wasn't part of the DLMC.

Exactly - if I've struggled up it, I want to go down the NON-ruthin side, i.e. the GOOD descent, to loggerheads! The fact that my car is at ruthin is therefore a bit of an embuggerance.
    The way it is organised is bad for THREE reasons,
    (a) the descent that you still have to do even though it isn't part of the ride, in order to get back to ruthin is, as you have correctly identified, the WORST descent
    (b) the descent (that you still have to do, whether dragging your brakes or not) isn't even part of the ride
    (c) you are going back the way you've come.

now it may just be that I (a) enjoy descents, and (b) don't like retracing my steps back exactly the same way I've just come, but I'm sure I can't be alone in this.
  • If i was cynical I would hazard a guess that having the finish at the top of a steep hill is a ploy to bolster the coffers of lazy photographers who cannot be bothered to expend the extra effort/skill/equipment outlay in order to take good photographs on descents, but instead require cyclists to be going slowly (and therefore up hill) in order to be able to capture a clear, focussed shot, but who also want the added likeliness of a sale given by the fact that the shot is of the rider actually crossing the finish line rather than just yet another climbing shot which they've got millions of already and so therefore don't bother purchasing.
    But, hey, maybe that's just cynicism.
  • skinsey
    skinsey Posts: 105
    Going back to one of the points earlier in the thread, I didn't do this solely because of the cost. £35 is just too much to ride on open roads, no matter how good the course. Get the roads closed and the price is justifiable. If they're open then £25-28 is more realistic.