RD Tension adjuster.

eddieb
eddieb Posts: 12
edited June 2010 in MTB beginners
Hi, I would like to ask for some help re the above subject.
My running gear is just the basic RD Tourney tx71 seven speed ( the model with the guide wheel ), which for the type of riding I do ( tar sealed bike paths - exercise for my back ) is perfect. I clean it down every fortnight, oil and adjust ( just for the hell of it ) although it never plays up. I ride about 120 - 130 miles a week. Basically runs perfect. I am intrigued as to the benefits of rapid rise rds' and spent a bit of time looking at purchasing the most economically priced item ( I'm a pensioner so try to look after my pennies, so to speak ). I came across a Shimano Nexacave C600 for 10 pound delivered ( down from £39.99 ). I tried to suss them out via the web but was unable to get any info so went ahead and bought the item. I then realised that my search criteria was to confined and belatedly found that this particular item doesn't have a gear tensioner on the RD. It requires it on the handlebar changer, as per the left hand changer.
I will try and fit one between the handlebars and the RD , so my question is : is this feasible and ifso will I have to shorten the cable casing somewhere. I realise that if it does work my gear numbers will be reversed, but I can live with that.
Any help or other ideas would as always be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Unless you can fluke the adjustment by pulling the cable tight to perfection, you will need to fit some adjuster somewhere.
  • eddieb
    eddieb Posts: 12
    Why answer if you cannot offer something constructive. I clearly state that I will have to find a way of inserting a tensioner into the cable somewhere and you come back with exactly that. No help whatsoever.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    You also clearly stated 'Any help or other ideas' and I clearly stated said you could fluke it and that is what I would do first, try and pull the cable through, then look into adjusters ie bodging one through a cable stop. It isn't that hard to do, though adjusters are easier of course. If you don't want any help, you can sod off.

We really don't put up with attitudes like that here, so think again before you next post.
  • Gilesw2010
    Gilesw2010 Posts: 121
    try another forum pal. Supersonic has tried to offer you advice and youve dismissed it out of hand. Idiot.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I haven't been a member long but have always found Supersonics' replies (and Nicklouses') to be informative, helpful and patient, unless Sheldon Brown has already said it. Check out the post count.

Another option, unless you have combined brake/shifter pods is an older shifter (Alivio or STX or similar) which have adjusters on both right and left shifters (and shift very nicely). Can find them for a fiver or so on Ebay or Retrobike (apologies for the plug).

Otherwise your best bet might be to sell the offending mech and buy a decent older second hand one, again you could get an XT for £10-15, or LX for less.

I can't see an bodged adjuster fitted midstream working that well, and the fluke attempt is fine until the cable stretches a bit.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • angry_bird
    angry_bird Posts: 3,787
    Some people are so rude :roll:
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    I wonder if eddieb and Mickey Eye are really the same person after this thread :wink: