orange crush? worth buying!

jimbob071987
jimbob071987 Posts: 5
edited September 2012 in MTB buying advice
hello any and everyone. thnkng of buying an orage crush 201 but are then any similar bikes that are abit better for around the same price? and is it still worth buy a 2010 this far into the year???

Comments

• RevellRider
    RevellRider Posts: 1,794
    How much for?
  • Pudseyp
    Pudseyp Posts: 3,514
    Can you actually get one...most dealers have sold out...it also depends what your intended use is ? it has a long travel fork so not ideal for tootling around a forrest...there are plenty of decent hardtails out there from 80mm to 160mm forks so you need to ask yourself what you need.
    Tomac Synper 140 Giant XTC Alliance 1
    If the world was flat, I wouldn't be riding !
  • RevellRider
    Yeah, most dealers have sold out and Orange launch the new one next month
  • going to use it for some cross country and general cycling fun.
    how can i find out specific dates for the release?
  • RevellRider
    For the 2011 models? It's launched according to the Orange dealer site on 19th July. It will be a more expensive bike though
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Have a look at the GT Agressor ELite from Halfords - similar sort of bike.
  • 19th july happens to be my birthday :D shall give my local orange dealer a visit this weekend to so what prices im looking at.

shall give the GT a look!
  • RevellRider
    The Crush is rumoured to go up by £300, but with a massive upgrade in spec.

A Cube LTD Race RX is a fantastic bike at a similar price to the Crush
  • oooooooo spec upgrades! think i may hold out and save abit extra :) then cant wait!
  • caldan
    caldan Posts: 2
    I actually spoke directly with Orange the other day about the 2011 version, and they told me the price was going up to £1400 and released mid-late July, but they won't be changing the spec that much - he seemed to think that they would be keeping the same Fox fork, but apparently the frame will now have a tapered head tube, and they'll be reverting to the old orange colour. This also tallies with this shot of a 2011 model that someone posted on the single track forum a couple of weeks ago (http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/2011-fox-anyone-got-any-yet and re-posted below).

So you may want to hunt yourself down a 2010 model - I got the last 21" frame from Sunset MTB (Cardiff based but deliver for free). I spoke to the guy there and he said they've got a couple of the 15" frames and a good number of the 17" and 19" still in stock:

http://www.sunsetmtb.co.uk/shop/index.php?product_id=1402&category_id=81

27853_396906221166_53663356166_4745923_2048406_n.jpg
  • Mr Wu
    Mr Wu Posts: 1,238
    caldan wrote:
    I actually spoke directly with Orange the other day about the 2011 version, and they told me the price was going up to £1400 and released mid-late July, but they won't be changing the spec that much - he seemed to think that they would be keeping the same Fox fork, but apparently the frame will now have a tapered head tube, and they'll be reverting to the old orange colour. This also tallies with this shot of a 2011 model that someone posted on the single track forum a couple of weeks ago

quote]

Im sorry but this is utter nonsense.

They are totally changing the spec, thats why it is going up in price.

The Fox forks will be RL's. Its having SLX and a 30speed transmition.

The things that are staying the same are the brakes/wheels, and maybe the saddle.
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    Go for a GT aggressor elite, similar sort of bike, as super said, but £100 cheaper and better spec (forks and wheels most notably).
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • caldan
    caldan Posts: 2
    @Mr Wu - was merely repeating what was told to me by an Orange employee on the phone the other day. I hope for everyone's sake that they are boosting the spec though! Where did you get your info from?
  • Just found this whilst looking at the 2012 Orange Crush.

Any ideas whether its worth buying the 2012 or the 2011 model? Cant see much difference only the 2012 is a not very nice red colour, not orange.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    What kind of bike are you after?
  • Heard a mixed bag of reviews for the Crush. My mate has one and he loves it! Can do quite a lot on it - but I don't think it would be very good for a long day's riding!

As Supersonic said, it depends what type of bike you are after really.
    Giant XTC SE 2006
    Cube LTD Race 2009
    Trek Fuel EX 9