London cycling tips

124»

Comments

• Butterd2
    Butterd2 Posts: 937
    BR 1979 wrote:
    :lol:

Well, if someone says it to you one morning along the Embankment then you'll know who it is.

(PS - Don't get so wound up - If you don't like to be thought of as one, then don't act like one. Stop at the reds. ;))

Don't go down that way unfortunately 'cos I'd love to meet you one day.

BTW The "B" doesn't stand for Brian does it by any chance, you sound like a Brian?
    Scott CR-1 (FCN 4)
    Pace RC200 FG Conversion (FCN 5)
    Giant Trance X

My collection of Cols
  • jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
    Butterd2 wrote:
    Common argument this one but I'm also a car driver (funnily enough a sensible one at that) but whenever I see another driver doing something stupid I don't worry that every ped/cyclist is going to think I too am stupid, I also a ped sometimes and the same applies. So sorry but I don't buy it.

I have to say, I agree with this point. I've never accepted the argument that I often read here that says by RLJing you are bringing the cycling community into disrepute. Let's face it, there are plenty of people out there who think cyclists shouldn't be allowed on the roads no matter how law abiding they are. Sure, the argument would then be, well if everyone rode responsibly then that perception might change, but would it? It's the feeling that cyclists are slowing the motorist up that bothers most with that attitude (even though the reality is that their journey would be no quicker on a cycle-free road).

I too am a motorist and when out in my car I can easily spot those cyclists who ride intelligently and safely and that does not necessarily mean that they never RLJ. The bad riders will often RLJ, but that does not mean that those who occasionally RLJ are necessarily bad riders.

So do I RLJ? On very rare occasions yes, but only when I am absolutely certain that it is safe for me and for those around me if I do so (and let's be honest, sometimes it would actually be safer to skip a red than to wait for it to change).

As a rule RLJers really p*ss me off, but not because they are further sullying the reputation of me and my fellow cyclists, not because they break the law (as has been mentioned above, we probably all break the law several times a week,) not because they are putting their lives at risk (it's pure Darwinism surely?). No, the reason I don't like RLJers is because they often beat me in the great cycle race that is the daily commute. Sure I can stand there like a good, law abiding citizen at the red lights inwardly seething at those who glide on through, saying to myself, I'll get you when the red turns to green, just you wait, but there are some seriously slow light changes on my journey and chances are I will not be catching anyone up.

Cyclists do have a responsibility to ride safely, but does that mean the only way you can do so is by following the absolute letter of the law? I'm not so sure.
  • jedster
    jedster Posts: 1,717
    I think it misses the point.

RLJing is just antisocial behaviour like charging through a gap when you dont have right of way, like not holding the door open for someone following you, like not giving your seat up on the tube to someone elderly or heavily pregnant.

It's no great crime. It's just shabby behaviour that lacks class. Do as you wish but don't expect not to be scorned.

Cheers,
    J
  • HamishD
    HamishD Posts: 538
    jedster wrote:

RLJing is just antisocial behaviour like charging through a gap when you dont have right of way, like not holding the door open for someone following you, like not giving your seat up on the tube to someone elderly or heavily pregnant.

It's no great crime. It's just shabby behaviour that lacks class. Do as you wish but don't expect not to be scorned.

Cheers,
    J

Well said that man.
  • jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
    jedster wrote:

Cheers,
    J

Yeah, I agree in general. When done in a blatantly disrespectful manner to your fellow road users, when putting their well-being at risk, when doing it purely to shave seconds off your journey, when doing it with that arrogance that says 'I'm a rebel and I don't need to follow the law', then I agree. But there are a few occasions when I will RLJ and I will not feel guilty for doing so.
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    Butterd2 wrote:
    Common argument this one but I'm also a car driver (funnily enough a sensible one at that) but whenever I see another driver doing something stupid I don't worry that every ped/cyclist is going to think I too am stupid, I also a ped sometimes and the same applies. So sorry but I don't buy it.

I have to say, I agree with this point. I've never accepted the argument that I often read here that says by RLJing you are bringing the cycling community into disrepute. Let's face it, there are plenty of people out there who think cyclists shouldn't be allowed on the roads no matter how law abiding they are. Sure, the argument would then be, well if everyone rode responsibly then that perception might change, but would it? It's the feeling that cyclists are slowing the motorist up that bothers most with that attitude (even though the reality is that their journey would be no quicker on a cycle-free road).

+1
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    Aidy wrote:
    biondino wrote:
    Most drivers in London are professional drivers and as a result drive to a higher standard than in most towns.

Did you manage to type that with a straight face?

Yes! I absolutely believe it, too. The further out of London I cycle the worse (read: less predictable and less aware) the traffic gets. Taxi and bus and van drivers get a bad press but the vast majority of them know what they're doing most of the time.

My ped encounter was a woman who stepped out, saw me, stepped back ontop the kerb - AND THEN STEPPED OUT AGAIN. I didn't hit her hard - she was uninjured - but I lost my balance and bounced off some railings before somehow being able to jump off my bike and land on my feet. Got some good scars on my arm and side from the railings, but it could have been a lot worse.

RLJing is no great crime... until you bowl someone over. If you act unpredictably then at some point it's smack you in the face, possibly literally. Butterd strikes me as someone who doesn't ONLY rlj when there is no ped within 100ft and no cars in the same postcode. Maybe I'm wrong.

The reason we abhor RLJing is because it is (b)utterly unnecessary. It's purely selfish and it makes so little difference. If you're late, leave early. If stopping and starting puffs you out, get fitter. No excuses, and no justification.
  • GiantMike
    GiantMike Posts: 3,139
    Fit a bell