When do you check your bike?

projectsome
projectsome Posts: 4,478
edited June 2010 in MTB general
Before setting off for a ride do you get yourself ready then check the bike or check the bike then get ready?
FARKBOOK TWATTER Happiness is my fucking mood!

Comments

• .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    I check the bike before I go out by looking at the tyres.
  • projectsome
    projectsome Posts: 4,478
    .blitz wrote:

The tyres? so as long as the tyres are ok, it will brake fine?

:lol: :shock:
    FARKBOOK TWATTER Happiness is my fucking mood!
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    None of the above, if it worked at the end of the last ride it'll work at the start of the next, and it gets maintained as and when it needs it and I feel like it. Regular checking is no substitute for a bit of mechanical sympathy and observation while riding.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    Northwind wrote:
    None of the above, if it worked at the end of the last ride it'll work at the start of the next, and it gets maintained as and when it needs it and I feel like it. Regular checking is no substitute for a bit of mechanical sympathy and observation while riding.

+1

I just maintain regularly since I have nothing else to do so I just load it up and go ride :D
  • underdog
    underdog Posts: 292
    If I am going for a long ride then I check tyre pressure the night before, sort out tools for the backpack etc anything else I just ride and fettle on the move if needed.
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    .blitz wrote:
    The tyres? so as long as the tyres are ok, it will brake fine? :lol: :shock:
    Northwind wrote:
    If it worked at the end of the last ride it'll work at the start of the next
    ^^ this :)
  • asdfhjkl
    asdfhjkl Posts: 333
    Northwind wrote:

This. So I guess that means waaaaaay before getting ready :P
  • Red Route
    Red Route Posts: 59
    edited June 2010
    Where is the "NEVER" option :-)
    Not everytime but if I do it's just before I set off when I've arrived at trail.

Oh & I am a lifelong passionate West Ham fan, so lay off Greeno (despite this I would have had him as 3rd or even 4th/5th choice GK as I know what he's like)
  • Red Route
    edited June 2010
    Not everytime but if I do it's just before I set off when I've arrived at trail.

Oh & I am a lifelong passionate West Ham fan, so lay off Greeno (despite this I would have had him as 3rd or even 4th/5th choice GK as I know what he's like)
  • Red Route
    Not everytime but if I do it's just before I set off when I've arrived at trail, after I'm dressed.

• P-Jay
    P-Jay Posts: 1,478
    I tend to wash my bike most times I use it so it gets inspected then, but I work under the assumption they don't fall to bits left to thier own devices in the garage so aside from making sure the tyres are up it's away we go..
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    the day before.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    asdfhjkl wrote:
    This. So I guess that means waaaaaay before getting ready :P

And also way after :lol:

There's also "when do you check your mate's bikes"- after arriving at Kirroughtree for a long weekend away and discovering a mate had a seized BB, 2 broken spokes and no meat on the front brake pads I now demand he drops it off at mine the week before to be rebuilt :lol:
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    erm, if it makes funny noises?
  • GHill
    GHill Posts: 2,402
    I do a quick check before I start riding to make sure something hasn't worked loose in the car. Majority of work happens post ride at home though.
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    I have a 35 item inspection list I complete before any ride.

:roll:
  • snotty badger
    snotty badger Posts: 1,593
    Northwind wrote:

Yup- this sums it up really!
    08 Pitch Pro
    14 Kona Unit
    Kona Kula SS
    Trailstar SS
    94 Univega Alpina 5.3
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    Northwind wrote:
    100%!!!

And on a similar vein:

do I clean my chain by removing and soaking in meths every 10 miles, or

never?

Do I have any mechanical problems or premature wear with this maintenance regime?

Nope.

I reserve my OCD for other aspects of my life.
  • Raymondavalon
    Raymondavalon Posts: 5,346
    As mine has 5 pivot rear suspension I check it after every ride, go over the bolts with a torque wrench.
    Once washed I give it a visual inspection, brake pads, chain, frame, spokes, etc.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    edited June 2010
    Mine only has a 4 pivot system, which massively cuts down on maintenance :lol:

(none, nothing, zip, nada)
  • Matt the Tester
    Matt the Tester Posts: 1,261
    .blitz wrote:
    Coveryourcar.co.uk RT Tester
    north west of england.
  • BMXBRAD
    BMXBRAD Posts: 34
    What i have done is put a bit of tippex on each nut or bolt then on same place on compent like yr Stem,Brakes,Cones,Crank an so on..... So wen checkin yr bike after a good hard sesh from now on u can have a quik scan round bike if the tippex mark dont line up tighten up nice an easy :D,,,,,,,

Saves the hassle of chekin evry individual thing its boring an who wants to f**k round with yr bike & parts after all that Riding i dont DO YOU????????
  • Thread8
    Thread8 Posts: 479
    BMXBRAD wrote:
    What i have done is put a bit of tippex on each nut or bolt then on same place on compent like yr Stem,Brakes,Cones,Crank an so on..... So wen checkin yr bike after a good hard sesh from now on u can have a quik scan round bike if the tippex mark dont line up tighten up nice an easy :D,,,,,,,

Saves the hassle of chekin evry individual thing its boring an who wants to f**k round with yr bike & parts after all that Riding i dont DO YOU????????

English please? :roll:
    Haro Thread 8
    Please help!

"It's like parkour, on a bike"
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    BMXBRAD wrote:

I don't agree with over-zealous checking (see above) and prefer Northwind's "mechanical sensitivity", but I would point out that bolts could loosen from a process of the threads "stretching" rather than the bolts unwinding, so your Tipex may give a false sense of security - stick with mechanical sensitivity!
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    Northwind wrote:

+1

The only thing I do at the start of a ride is squeeze the tyres to check they are still inflated!
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.