Silly Commuter CX Adventures

itboffin
itboffin Posts: 20,064
edited June 2010 in Commuting chat
It's a lovely day here in Windshire but as the name implies very windy, so I thought I'd dust off the CX and go for a spin in the brail.
738168_8003d1fd.jpg

It was all going so well, first I bombed down my local pave trail, sweeeet 8)
4705535627_18e6124fb6.jpg

Then along the Kennet & Avon canal tow path
4639360095_05e66f4ea5.jpg

Across a small bridge then I hopped over a step and crunch
488462076_85dc550064.jpg

Now i'm no expert but i'm pretty sure a rear derailleur shouldn't look like that :lol:
4706191128_44833db956.jpg

So that little 2.5 mile ride has cost me

Bent new KMC chain
Bent spoke, which will need replacing and truing
Completely farked rear deraileur with bolt sheared off in hanger
Cable inner & outer

A 2.5 mile up hill walk home with a tailwind :wink:
am I bitter..? nope not in the slightest, it's a lovely day so i'm off for another bike ride hopefully a little longer this time.

Forget n+1, n+6 is where it's at 8)
Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.

Comments

• That poor bike! :cry:
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    itboffin wrote:
    Now i'm no expert but i'm pretty sure a rear derailleur shouldn't look like that :lol:

Yeah, looks like your limit screws are misadjusted :lol:

Seriously though - can you not fix the chain at least with the spare links?
    Faster than a tent.......
  • ex-pat scot
    ex-pat scot Posts: 939
    You'll find that (hopefully) it's just the derailleur pivot bolt that's sheared.

You can get replacements - in alloy if necessary from Tastybolts or Tibolts (eBay) for much less than the price of a new rear mech.

As for the cables - why replace?

Surprised the chain needs replacing. Worst case would be take whatever bent link there is out, and run the chain slightly shorter (and avoid the obvious big-big combo).

Spoke replacement should be OK - but you'll have to get the cassette off to get the spoke in. (assume drive side snapped)

I would check that the rear derailleur hanger isn't bent. This will give no end of indexing probs.

You'll need to get the sheared bolt out of the derailleur hanger - easiest is with a drill. Just drill the centre of the sheared bolt (from the inside out if you can) and the whole lot should eventually come out. If there's protruding bits then grab with mole grips and turn...

Worst case = replacement gear hanger. A faff, but not expensive.
    Commute: Langster -Singlecross - Brompton S2-LX

Road: 95 Trek 5500 -Look 695 Aerolight eTap - Boardman TTe eTap

Offroad: Pace RC200 - Dawes Kickback 2 tandem - Tricross - Boardman CXR9.8 - Ridley x-fire
  • Aidy
    Aidy Posts: 2,015
    Did something similar on Sunday out on the mountain bike.

Stupid trees. Stupid spokes.

Rather than replace the mech hanger, I've decided to er.. replace the frameset.
  • MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,629
    doesn't look very healthy i'll give you that
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    Looks like the PF has decided to diversify...
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Was fun though, loved the 2.5 miles of bumpy trail before it went pear shaped, i'll be back.....

CX are so versatile and cool 8)
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.