Did the Polaris Challenge

DomWint
DomWint Posts: 59
edited June 2010 in MTB general
Well, I managed to survive last weekend's Polaris Challenge in White Peak. My brother-in-law and me entered back in January to give us a fitness goal to aim towards and we both came through unscathed. Thoroughly enjoyed (almost) every minute of it and have to say that the whole event was really well organised and had a great atmosphere.

There were some serious pieces of kit on display, and quite a few nutters to whom cycling to the moon and back appears simple.

We managed 268 points overall (173 on the Saturday, 95 on Sunday) and covered just over 67 miles in total - enough for 45th out of 61 in our class. The winner got some ludicrous score like 700-odd but, as they say, it's the taking part that counts.

Luckily managed to avoid any punctures or brakedowns - my Giant Boulder did me proud but looked a little worse for wear until I gave it a good scrub last night.

Not sure if we'll go for the Autumn round as that requires carrying camping kit with you to a marked campsite, rather than returning to a fixed start point, but would definitely consider the Summer event again.

Anyone else on here have a go?

Comments

• Tank-slapper
    Tank-slapper Posts: 968
    I didn't join in, but there were gabillions of riders about on Saturday. Forced me to change route and avoid Chatsworth!
  • DomWint
    DomWint Posts: 59
    Ha ha, yeah - that was the obvious route through from one of the checkpoints to another (field above Chatsworth through to Wellington Monument). Think there was a BHF sponsored hike and a road race around there as well. Certainly enough walkers refusing to get out of the way. :x

It's the first time I've cycled round that area. Really enjoyed it. Not so hilly as to be off-putting. Think we got lucky that the event started in White Peak rather than Dark Peak.