How much abuse can XC717 take?

Stu 74
Stu 74 Posts: 463
edited June 2010 in MTB general
Got a trip up Snowdon planned this week. Unfortunately a spoke snapped on my rear wheel last night (Syncros DP25 on Hope Pro 2). As a backup I am going to put the rear wheel off my hardtail on to the bike I am taking up.

The bike is a Marin Wolf Ridge 2008 and the wheel is XC717 on Hope Pro 2 hand built by Merlin. Not sure what the spokes are as I bought the wheel second hand. I will be running a 2.25" Maxxis Ardent on it with a fairly chunky tube.

I am about 10.5 stone and a fairly smooth rider but not shy of airtime and drops.

Is the wheel going to be strong enough for a rocky droppy blast down Snowdon?

Cheers

Stu

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Are good rims - and the build counts for a lot.

But no doubting the 719 and 721 are designed for more abuse. Just be careful wuth landings.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,765
    I've never had a problem with the XC 717's on my Anthem which has included some energetic XC/trail use and a few smallish drops (I'm just under 11 st)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • psymon
    psymon Posts: 1,562
    used mine for ages before i got some crossrides.
    used to do the 30 odd stair set in wigan park on em no problems. would clear top few and land on the stairs themselves wheels stayed strong and true.

however did same set last night and have bent the crossrides, may switch back!
  • Stu 74
    Thanks for the replies guys. This is one particularly reassuring.........
    used to do the 30 odd stair set in wigan park on em no problems. would clear top few and land on the stairs themselves wheels stayed strong and true.

:D

Stu
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Some of the routes aren't all that rough, really. The common one (Llanberis path) will pose no problems at all.
    Even then though, those are still some strong rims.

Oh, and by the way, just reminding you that there's a bike ban on Snowdon between 10:00 and 17:00, form May 1st to 30th September. (and a HELL of a lot of walkers)
  • schmako
    schmako Posts: 1,982
    A couple of my mates have dented their 717's, albeit getting snakebites.. My 719's are still true! (Pro II on the rear exploded in half, but Hope are great and there's a new free one in its place!). I reckon as long as you're careful you'll be fine.
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    I used 717's on Snowdon and rode the wheels in the Alps too when guiding out there - they should be fine although as SS says the build quality of the wheel is the true measure rather than the rim itself.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • FIow
    FIow Posts: 7
    They are a lot stronger than you think
  • Stu 74
    Well did the ride last night. Fanastic :D

Haven't given the wheel a thorough inspection but given it a quick spin and it looks ok.

Cheers for the advice!

Stu
  • The Spiderman
    The Spiderman Posts: 5,625
    717s are surprisngl tough.But narrow profile means that larger volume tyres are not a possible so if you are susceptible to pinch flats may be worth considering 719s.

At 11st I suspect you will be just fine.
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo