Which tubes with Deep Rim wheels?

Cornish-J
Cornish-J Posts: 978
edited June 2010 in Road buying advice
Looking at some 52mm deep rim wheels and just wondering how the inner tube reaches through?

Do i just need the long valve ones from evans (link below)? and will i still need some sort of extra attachment as well?

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/spe ... uery=tubes

Comments

• mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    Normally long valve and/or an extender. DON'T leave home without it!
    M.Rushton
  • chriskempton
    chriskempton Posts: 1,245
    You need either

1. Some inner tubes with long enough valves (so for you it's 52mm, plus another 30mm or so to get your pump onto).

Or

2. Inner tubes with removeable valve cores plus some valve extenders, and the length of the two parts needs to equal the same c.82mm. Removable valve cores are where the valve bits of the tube all screw out together from the stub of the valve that joins to the tube. Most inner tubes do not have these, so you'd need to specifically buy some of these if you are planning to use valve extenders. Valve extenders go into the stub of the valve, and then the valve bits you've previously removed go onto the end of the valve extenders.

Either way, you'll need to be more organised about tubes - you'll not be able to borrow one from someone else or just pick one up from any old bike shop.

If it's option 1 you'll need to check if the tubes you link to are long enough (I doubt they are, mind). If it's option 2, Planet X do good valve extenders in different lengths and Vittoria Evo tubes have removable valve cores.

Alternatively a good bike shop would be able to advise and supply you with what you need.