oncoming cyclist, which way to go?

chrishumes
chrishumes Posts: 227
edited June 2010 in Commuting chat
hi guys, probably a basic question but today ive been facing a few bikes on cycle paths etc, should you always go to the left or right to avoid? is there a rule??

Comments

• asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Generally, go left.

If the cycle lane has give way signs on it, they will be paid out in the same way as road lanes.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    Assuming you are in the UK, Eire, Japan, or somewhere that drives on the left...
  • WesternWay
    WesternWay Posts: 564
    chrishumes wrote:
    hi guys, probably a basic question but today ive been facing a few bikes on cycle paths etc, should you always go to the left or right to avoid? is there a rule??

Yup, always go the way that will avoid hitting the oncoming bike. It makes for a much quicker journey home
  • Splottboy
    Splottboy Posts: 3,695
    KEEP LEFT...ER, OR RIGHT.
  • prj45
    prj45 Posts: 2,208
    Go left, pass on each other's right. I'm constantly reminding people we drive on the left at Hyde park corner.

Right arm out pointing across to left bar end with back of hand facing forward usually helps educate oncomers who look like they're a bit confused.

Well it does for me, I don't know if they take this as a directional sign, or avoid me cos they think I'm going to back hand them as they go past.
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    I always try to pass riders coming towards me on the left. It seems natural to me, since we drive on the left. I get annoyed at cyclists who try to pass me on the right; but they may not be drivers themselves, thus not conditioned to it as I am.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • navt
    navt Posts: 374
    edited June 2010
    I generally pass on the opposite side of oncoming traffic including other cyclist. It makes for a much quicker journey home.

You asked :D!
  • Paulie W
    Paulie W Posts: 1,492
    I follow the 'rules of the road' when on a cycle path, shared-use path - stay on the left, pass on the right - but it struck me recently that there are other (pedestrian) contexts were we have opposite rules, e.g. escalators on the tube, moving walkways in UK airports.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Straight towards him - don't give in. Nerves of steel. Eventually the oncoming cyclist will chicken and veer left or right. If he goes into the canal you get extra points.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Which way to go? Go down. Go down in a heap as if shot by a sniper, then leap to your feat waving an imaginery yellow card at your protagonist demanding retribution for this mindless attack on your abilities as The Best There Is.

Whaddya mean daft? It's kept that diving git-faced cheat Christiano Ronaldo in FTE for most of his life. Grrrr.
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    For oncoming traffic go left. Overtake on the right. Thems the rules.

Unfortunately a sizeable part of the population haven't seemed to grasp this :evil:
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • anton1r
    anton1r Posts: 272
    daviesee wrote:

++
    "I have a plan, a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a fox." (from the Blackadder TV series)
  • MrBlond
    MrBlond Posts: 161
    +1
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    what's a cycle path?
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    gbsahne wrote:
    what's a cycle path?

Like a road. Except less busy but just as many muppets :wink:
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • will3
    will3 Posts: 2,173
    daviesee wrote:

Unfortunately a sizeable part of the population haven't seemed to grasp this :evil:

It's them foriners. Coming over here, using our cyclpaths, and, what's more, using them wrong :wink:
  • Sirius631
    Sirius631 Posts: 991
    will3 wrote:
    daviesee wrote:

It's them foriners. Coming over here, using our cyclpaths, and, what's more, using them wrong :wink:

I blame too many american shows on TV, and those people whose only experience of life is through watching such shows. How are they meant to know which side of the road traffic travels on if they don't know we live in the UK. :shock:
    To err is human, but to make a real balls up takes a super computer.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Yup - pass on the left - that way you can see their sword hand as you pass and be sure that they aren't about to run you through and make off with your purse...
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH