Cheap (but decent!) bib shorts

es330
es330 Posts: 46
edited June 2010 in Commuting chat
Hi

Have a 7 mile commute and wanting to invest in my first bib shorts / 3 quarter length bib.

Recommendations? Do I need to invest in quality or would £25 be about right?

Thanks
Trek 2.3 2010

Comments

• lastant
    lastant Posts: 526
    es330 wrote:
    Have a 7 mile commute and wanting to invest in my first bib shorts. Recommendations?

Shutt's Standard Bib Shorts. Got a pair myself and would recommend them as ideal for that sort of journey and certainly not going to break the bank.
    One Man and LEJOG : End-to-End on Two Wheels in Two Weeks (Buy the book; or Kindle it!)
  • markshaw77
    markshaw77 Posts: 437
    lastant wrote:
    es330 wrote:
    Have a 7 mile commute and wanting to invest in my first bib shorts. Recommendations?

Shutt's Standard Bib Shorts. Got a pair myself and would recommend them as ideal for that sort of journey and certainly not going to break the bank.

+1 to that - for £25(ish) they are just great for everyday, short journey shorts
  • es330
    Perfect! Thanks guys

Anyone own any 3/4 lengths?
    Trek 2.3 2010
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    es330 wrote:

Yep, bit warm for this weather though!
  • rf6
    rf6 Posts: 323
    I've got a pair of these which are great (maybe a bit warm for summer mind?)

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/dhb_M ... 360045077/

dhb also have these if you're looking for lighter ones which would probably be better for summer use;

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/dhb_E ... 360045083/

Oh, and just a word of warning about Shutt, there stuff is very good, and very more-ish. Your wallet may take a hammering!!
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    try prendas - they have decent quality stuff and you can usually pick up a bargain
  • andy83
    andy83 Posts: 1,558
    dhb shorts are top quality as are the majority of their products
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    I've got a pair of dhb shorts but I've never cound them particularly comfortable and they are prone to chafing when damp.

They are my last resort shorts.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • es330
    notsoblue wrote:

Was still a bit nippy in Preston this morning!!
    Trek 2.3 2010
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    es330 wrote:
    notsoblue wrote:

Was still a bit nippy in Preston this morning!!

You should start off a bit cold, if I do I find I am fine wonce warmed up, made the mistake of setting off warm and rapidly having to shed layers.
  • AndyManc
    AndyManc Posts: 1,393
    es330 wrote:
    Perfect! Thanks guys

I prefer 3/4 length bib shorts, for year round.

Shift work means I'm on the road at 5:15am on a regular basis .... and it's never warm at that time :?

Also, over recent years I've found with the cold weather I often get stinging pains in my knees, something that others on this forum also say they suffer from, 3/4 help protect the knees from the condition starting in the first place.

Specialized Hardrock Pro/Trek FX 7.3 Hybrid/Specialized Enduro/Specialized Tri-Cross Sport
    URBAN_MANC.png
  • Aidy
    Aidy Posts: 2,015
    Hm, might have to try some of those Shutt shorts.
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    AndyManc wrote:
    es330 wrote:
    Perfect! Thanks guys

I prefer 3/4 length bib shorts, for year round.

Shift work means I'm on the road at 5:15am on a regular basis .... and it's never warm at that time :?

Also, over recent years I've found with the cold weather I often get stinging pains in my knees, something that others on this forum also say they suffer from, 3/4 help protect the knees from the condition starting in the first place.

Agree in the mornings bit warm in the afternoons now. I love my knee warmers and would reccomend that everyone gets some, they're ace. Plus you can just buy one pair and wash them at the weekend and don't have to buy any more shorts.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • es330
    rf6 wrote:
    I've got a pair of these which are great (maybe a bit warm for summer mind?)

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/dhb_M ... 360045077/

dhb also have these if you're looking for lighter ones which would probably be better for summer use;

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/dhb_E ... 360045083/

!

Gutted. These dhb bibs are all sold out :(
    Trek 2.3 2010
  • prj45
    prj45 Posts: 2,208
    Asprilla wrote:
    I've got a pair of dhb shorts but I've never cound them particularly comfortable and they are prone to chafing when damp.

Well that and there's a massive dhb logo smack in the middle of the ar*e.
  • shortyman
    shortyman Posts: 48
    +1 for speg.

Have the ladies 3/4 and am very impressed. I agree still bit chilly in Preston in the morning so living in them.