CRC lead times...

thesim1990
thesim1990 Posts: 95
edited June 2010 in MTB general
Hi everyone,

What's the standard lead times for ordering frames from CRC? I ordered my new frame from them on the 8th of June, it's now the 15th and there's no sign of it being delivered soon - apart from e-mails from them about fitting the headset for me.

Comments

• nickfrog
    nickfrog Posts: 610
    Give them a call. :idea:
  • thesim1990
    They e-mailed me on Friday to say they picked the order up and that once the headset is fitted and order shipped they'll mail me again. Hmmmm... :cry:
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    Well they dont work weekends so I am guessing the workshop is fitting the headset and then they'll pack it and then they'll send it - couple more days perhaps?

If you were pushed for time you could have ordered the parts and got it delivered to be installed by you or your bike shop instead - you'd probably have it by now.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • thesim1990
    I phoned to check to see if it had gone into the workshop but it hadn't yet. I asked for them to cancel the fitting and send it out in bits for me to fit.
  • thesim1990
    16th June 2010, still processing. Not being an arse but they need to send it out quickly lol. :shock:
  • paul.skibum
    I ordered some stuff from them yesterday morning - it still hasnt arrived either! :shock:

I have to admit - I want it now is a common problem with internet shopping - we want to save money but the benefit of paying the extra is getting to play with it straight away!
  • anton1r
    anton1r Posts: 272
    I ordered some stuff on Friday morning, 48hr delivery I hoped it would turn up on (Friday, Saturday) Monday but expected it on (Saturday, Monday) Tuesday, neither happened but it has turned up this morning which I'm fine with.

Paul's got the nail on the head here to be honest.
    I have to admit - I want it now is a common problem with internet shopping - we want to save money but the benefit of paying the extra is getting to play with it straight away!

My general rule is: if I need it now, I accept I'll have to pay a little more and buy it from a shop because of the convenience, but if I can wait I'll save a few quid and order online.
    "I have a plan, a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a fox." (from the Blackadder TV series)
  • thesim1990
    I had no choice but to order this frame online. I spoke to them and they said the frame went out yesterday so that's good! Headset which was going to be fitted by them is going out today separately.

Anyone got any tips on fitting a semi-integrated headset into an aluminium frame? I have done it on a steel one but the aluminium is going to be a bit weaker. Anything I should be careful of?
  • paul.skibum
    Yeah - dont f*ck it up! I watched a mechanic at my LBS hammer one out of an ali frame with very little care or precision so I dont think you can do too much damage.
  • thesim1990
    Main problem is with ovalisation, but at least it's not a standard headset so I don't have to press it in so far. Hopefully my home made press and grease will do the trick.
  • paul.skibum
    I just realised that I have installed a headset in an Alli frame and yep I used grease and a home made headset press. Take care to line up the cups so the manufacturers names are showing in a pleasing way and take it slow.

My press was made from a long threaded bar, some nuts, a couple of bits of wood and two very large washers (they were actually sub frame mounts off a Mk 1 mini). Wind on slowly and steadily.

Bon chance.
  • paulbox
    paulbox Posts: 1,203
    I assume that CRC had to wait for something as they are normally very quick. I ordered a few bits last Tuesday and they were at my house by Wednesday morning.
    XC: Giant Anthem X
    Fun: Yeti SB66
    Road: Litespeed C1, Cannondale Supersix Evo, Cervelo R5
    Trainer: Bianchi via Nirone
    Hack: GT hardtail with Schwalbe City Jets
  • thesim1990
    Wuhey! Frame arrived this morning and is sitting behind me as we speak, but it's a shame the headset is coming tomorrow instead.