Sold the Wrong Size Bike by Reputable Company?!

richf
richf Posts: 104
edited July 2010 in MTB beginners
Hi,

I have been riding for about 2 years and this time last year I went and bought my self a new bike from my Local Bike Shop.
Got a new Cannondale F4 size large.

Was very happy bar getting horrible pains in my hands and up my arms, but have just put up with it.
I have now started rding with some very experienced mountain bikers and on our firts ride out 2 of them said "who sold you that bike its far too small" after numerous conversations and a trip to another bike shop (as recommended by one of my fellow riders) turns out the reason I get these pains is because all my weight is on my hands as the saddle is up so high.

My question is do you think I can take the bike back? It's 12 months old but I am going off riding due to these pains and cant afford to replace it at the minute!

Anyone got any bright ideas?!

Cheers
Rich

Comments

• ThanksBye
    ThanksBye Posts: 519
    Longer stem, set back seat post?

Jon
    Cotic Soul
    Pearson Hanzo
    Airborne Zeppelin
  • TommyEss
    TommyEss Posts: 1,855
    You've ridden it for a whole year? Well good luck taking it back!

The Tomotoe's suggestion is probably the cheapest stop gap until you can flog it and get a new bike. Just be wary of putting on the longest stem you can find, as that will slow the steering down greatly - look for a bit of an increase in length coupled with a steeper angle - should bring your arms up - maybe riser bars too?
    Cannondale Synapse 105, Giant Defy 3, Giant Omnium, Giant Trance X2, EMC R1.0, Ridgeback Platinum, On One Il Pompino...
  • Freckler
    Freckler Posts: 7
    I doubt they'll take the bike back after a year.

How tall are you? How long is your stem? What size was your previous bike, and did that fit you OK? If you're over 6'2" with longish legs chances are the bike is too small, looking at the geo chart the L only has a 17.9" seat tube. Length-wise though (effective top-tube) it's actually quite a long bike at 24.5".

Maybe try running your saddle a couple of inches lower, and maybe think about a longer stem, like the tomato said.
  • richf
    Cheers Guy's, Thought taking it back would be a long shot but am still gonna try I think. Am totally prepared to be told to "Do one" but if you don't ask and all that!!

Failing that I will try a longer stem with steeper angle untill I can afford to replace!

Cheers
    Rich
  • TommyEss
    If you try and take it back they'll tell you to take a running jump. You are way way outside the reasonable cooling off period of a distance sale, let alone one where you presumably sat on the bike and rode it away from the shop.

If you take it back and explain that you're not really comfortable on it, and you were thinking of trying a longer stem etc. you may find they're pretty helpful.

You may of course decide that since the shop were bad enough to sell you too small a bike the first time around, that you avoid them now and sort it out yourself.
    Cannondale Synapse 105, Giant Defy 3, Giant Omnium, Giant Trance X2, EMC R1.0, Ridgeback Platinum, On One Il Pompino...
  • richf
    Freckler wrote:
    I doubt they'll take the bike back after a year.

How tall are you? How long is your stem? What size was your previous bike, and did that fit you OK? If you're over 6'2" with longish legs chances are the bike is too small, looking at the geo chart the L only has a 17.9" seat tube. Length-wise though (effective top-tube) it's actually quite a long bike at 24.5".

Maybe try running your saddle a couple of inches lower, and maybe think about a longer stem, like the tomato said.

My previous bike was a 21" Rockhopper and was perfect never had any problems, but I followed the guidance of the shop and went for the smaller frame. I am 6ft 2 with fairly long legs. The stem is quite short, I had a long ritchey stem on my Rockhopper so I will try that.

Will also try and raise the hamdle bars up.

Thanks
    Rich
  • TommyEss
    I'd look at a steeper stem angle - can you fit anymore spacers under the stem too?
  • richf
    TommyEss wrote:
    I'd look at a steeper stem angle - can you fit anymore spacers under the stem too?

Don't think I can get any more speacers on but will go and see if I can get a stem at lunch time

Cheers
    Rich
  • nickfrog
    nickfrog Posts: 610
    edited June 2010
    Rich,

have you considered the possibility that you may be exactly between sizes ?
    If that's the case then I would always suggest going small was the right choice as it can be easier to mend things.
    But there's also personal preference, one person in that situation may prefer a smaller more chuckable bike and another may prefer a longer top tube. Maybe the shop should have given you a choice if that was the case.

It's not uncommon for shops to flog what they have in stock rather than the right size bike but you may want to post a photo of you on the bike for second opinion?

HTH

Nick
  • richf
    nickfrog wrote:
    Rich,

have you considered the possibility that you may be exactly between sizes ?
    If that's the case then I would always suggest to going small was the right as it can be easier to mend things.
    But there's also personal preference, one person in that situation may prefer a smaller more chuckable bike and another may prefer a longer top tube. Maybe the shop should have given you a choice if that was the case.

It's not uncommon for shops to flog what they have in stock rather than the right size bike but you may want to post a photo of you on the bike for second opinion?

HTH

Nick

Cheers Nick, I will add a pic tonight I love the bike and the feel of it, it is purely the pain I get in my hands that has made me look into the sizing of the bike. I never had any problems with my Rockhopper.
    On reflection I think he was trying to sell me the bike he had in stock as I went in to buy a Kona but he didnt have any in stock.
    I am about to go to the shop in question and speak to them and see what they have to say.
  • nickfrog
    nickfrog Posts: 610
    I get occasional numbness in my hands too TBH but in my case it's a compromise I have chosen (I am between sizes), whereas this seems to have been imposed on you.
    I have partly solved the problem with better gloves and laid back post.
  • change your brake/gear shifter location.
  • ThanksBye
    Have you tried padded gloves or ergo grips?

Jon
    Cotic Soul
    Pearson Hanzo
    Airborne Zeppelin
  • richf
    edited June 2010
    Spent and hour and a half in the shop this afternoon and I must say they were very helpful.
    It turns out I am between frames sizes and the reason I was sold the large was due to the type of riding I do (i was luky enough to see the guy that sold me the bike who rides the same routes). They gave me a reasonable discount on a set of ergo grips http://www.evanscycles.com/products/erg ... go%20grips which they think will help and have re set up the bike and adjusted the saddle stem etc and have also recommended a laid back seat post? Which they didn't have in stock.

So will get the new grips on tonight and get out for a ride and see what happens.

Thanks for all your help.

Rich
  • ThanksBye
    Make sure you set the grips so they are comfortable when you are in the riding postion
    Cotic Soul
    Pearson Hanzo
    Airborne Zeppelin
  • ThanksBye
    Which evans is your local store?
    Cotic Soul
    Pearson Hanzo
    Airborne Zeppelin
  • richf
    Woking is my local store, (was the only place I could find an image of the grips!)
  • richf
    Been out tonight with new Grips on and it has solved the problem in my right hand and a little in my left but now my shoulders and neck ache after 45 minutes? I stayed out for just under 2 hours and my left shoulder was getting very uncomfortable.

Any suggestions as to what to try next? One of these lean back seat post things?

Cheers
    Rich
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Some riser bars to give you a more upright position and take some weight off your wrists?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • toasty
    toasty Posts: 2,598
    The difference in bar height between sizes is usually very minor, an extra 10mm of head tube maybe. Your best bet is getting some big riser bars and sticking spacers under the stem.
  • neninja
    neninja Posts: 424
    As above high riser bars and a stem that is angled upwards - maybe 15 degree one. The 2 combined should lift your hand position by a couple of inches.
  • richf
    New Ritchey Riser Stem bought, Will fit tonight and go out for a bit and see what happens! This could all be costing me more than a new bike, Already spent nearly £100 on parts trying to solve this!!

Rich
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    It is often quite normal to have to tailor the ride position - new bars and stems can be had quite cheaply, no need for the expensive branded stuff.
  • Gilesw2010
    Gilesw2010 Posts: 121
    I had exactly the same problem but like the others have said a new stem and riser bar sorted the problem easily.
  • richf
    Think I may have worked this out! Could it be that my handlebars are too far away, I have noticed that my arms are dead straight to reach my handle bars almost like I am stretching to reach them?
    I leaned against a wall and positioned my arms a gOod 2 inches back from my handlebars and thought to myself "if my handlebars were back here this would be so much more comfortable"?
    Could this be contribuiting? Maybe the bikes too big?!/long?

Cheers
    Rich
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Yep, you should ideally have a bend in your elbows.

Try sliding the saddle forward on the rails. This will place more weight on your hands, so I would combine with a shorter, higher rise stem.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I had a similar pain in my hand as your describing.

In my case I changed the stem from 110mm to a 80mm stem and put on wider hi-rise bars. This gave a slightly more up right position putting less weight on my hands, also the wider bars and shorter stem sharpened up the steering no end, massive difference and I feel much more in control.

(Plus it makes your bike look a bit more 'all mountain' and cool LOL)
  • captainfly
    captainfly Posts: 1,001
    I'm 6'2/3" with long legs and have a similar issue, there aren't many short top tube long seatpost bikes, so it's long seatpost, short stem and riser bars or stand up all the time :o
    -_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
    Mongoose Teocali
    Giant STP0

Why are MTB economics; spend twice as much as you intended, but only half as much as you wish you could afford? :roll:
  • clem.west
    clem.west Posts: 11
    Hi. Just thought I'd comment because I notice your bike was bought from Evans. I recently bought a Kona Lisa full sus mtb from Evans - the smallest frame size they do is 14". I tried the bike in store, bought it and tried unsuccessfully to return it after just 3 rides - this was following advice from a professional in a different bike shop who told me the frame was way too big for me. Trail riding, it did feel too big - I was struggling to 'dab' because the standover height was too big. I am a novice mtb'er and very unhappy with Evans for selling me a bike that was too big, obviously they just wanted a sale. I am now trying to sell the bike, at a considerable loss, having bought a smaller frame elsewhere - which a friend has kindly built up with parts, old and new, into an ideal bike for me.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    clem.west

just curious but what is the new bike?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown