London 2 Brighton further advice needed

tatman69
tatman69 Posts: 176
edited June 2010 in Commuting chat
Hi All

Looking fw to Sunday but am after a bit of advice re getting picked up.

My partner and my 12 week old daughter were planning to spend the day iin Brighton waiting for me to poddle up and meet them after the ride. I have a car park pass for the Kings House Car park in hove where they plan to walk in to Brighton.

I have heard stories of it taking 2 - 3 hours to get into Brighton even at 9-10am ?? I obviously dont want my partner stuck in traffic that long with our new born. Has anyone else experienced this? Also if you go to Hove rather than Brighton is it still as bad?

Thanks.

Comments

• lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    Wait.....

I'm confused.

2-3 hours to drive from where to Kings House car park in Hove?

I can imagine the traffic being pretty horrendous if it's a nice sunny sunday.
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    From what I remember the traffic heading in was horrific, but that cause of all the bikes taking up lanes...

Unless you know a clever way in she'll have to queue like everyone else

You could of course MTFU and cycle home then they could get the train
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • tatman69
    Clever Pun wrote:
    From what I remember the traffic heading in was horrific, but that cause of all the bikes taking up lanes...

Unless you know a clever way in she'll have to queue like everyone else

You could of course MTFU and cycle home then they could get the train

Im on a MTB...54 miles will be enough lol

Yeah I meant 2 - 3 hours to get into Brighton from the M23 lol
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    Traffic heading in from the M23 should avoid the majority of the bikes, no?
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    My lot did this a couple of years ago; rather than drive into Brighton on the day they caught a local train service from just up the line, out towards Worthing, maybe Shoreham or Lancing. It was pretty cheap, parking at the station on a Sunday was free and it avoided alll the business of driving in on the day with all the hassle that you've already spotted.
  • BentMikey
    BentMikey Posts: 4,895
    Get her to park somewhere near the outskirts and then cycle there after the finish. Maybe even Shoreham or Worthing?
  • tatman69
    It was really becuase she fancied the day out...but seems to me it isnt worth the hassle. The other option is to go into Hove via the A264 A24 but I dont know how much of that will be closed either.

Seems crazy to be they dont just put on extra trains and let the bikes on!!
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    tatman69 wrote:
    It was really becuase she fancied the day out...but seems to me it isnt worth the hassle. The other option is to go into Hove via the A264 A24 but I dont know how much of that will be closed either.

Seems crazy to be they dont just put on extra trains and let the bikes on!!

Suggest you go as a proper family day out another day. 30000 cyclists is going to be chaos and won't be fun for your wife with a 12 week old baby.

Congratulations by the way! :D
  • CiB
    That's what mine did the secoond time I did L2B.They ddn't fancy it the second time; there's only so much fake excitement kids can garner waiting in a busy crowd on the finish line for a couple of hours until Dad rolls into view and then disappears again for another 10 minutes.

It's not a good day out at all really, best left to cyclists who can do it a couple of times and then move on from it.
  • MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,629
    as for cycling back if anyone's done - suggested route - organisers haven't come back to me with anything at all as yet...

plus - how long does it take to register in the morning an all. Want to make sure I get out at 7am on the dot to help with busy roads ahead.
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • Wooliferkins
    Wooliferkins Posts: 2,060
    If traffic is backing up beyond the A27 they could always peel of the A23 to Hassocks or Burgess Hill and train in. Or considering getting you and steed out, go to Haywards Heath and train into Hove. If it's just backed up in town head west down the A27 and pick your station.
    Neil
    Help I'm Being Oppressed
  • CiB
    There's no registration or anything on the day - you roll up with your wristband and number on your self / shirt / bike, then set off at your allocated start time.

Forget any idea of avoiding busy roads. Unless you're away in the first wave you'll be in busy roads. Don't expect to get away at bang on 7 either. Everyone else wants to and the schedule soon slips a bit. In brief, just accept that you're looking at 4 - 5 hours of v busy roads.
  • MonkeyMonster
    CiB wrote:
    There's no registration or anything on the day - you roll up with your wristband and number on your self / shirt / bike, then set off at your allocated start time.

Forget any idea of avoiding busy roads. Unless you're away in the first wave you'll be in busy roads. Don't expect to get away at bang on 7 either. Everyone else wants to and the schedule soon slips a bit. In brief, just accept that you're looking at 4 - 5 hours of v busy roads.

Need to get this thing stamp seemingly... clear plastic wallet with start stamp and end stamp bits.

Boooo - will turn up at 6.45 and go with the flow...
  • CiB
    Oh. I thought the start stamp was part of the rider pack. Not to worry.

Go with the flow. That really is the best option. Once it thins out you can probably get going a bit.
  • If Early , get into Hove via A23, then A27 west, then off at A293 then head towards seafront then East on A259 towards Queen Victoria statue.

If the weather is HOT or its the afternoon then don't use A23. Get into Brighton via A24 , A283 (car boot sales can also back up for miles ) then A259. On hot days and when L2B is on the A23 will backup for miles outside Brighton.

Don't try and get into Hove via Devils Dyke because this road can back up for miles

Best approach is always West of Hove.

Have a great day
  • Wooliferkins
    Wooliferkins Posts: 2,060
    as for cycling back if anyone's done - suggested route - organisers haven't come back to me with anything at all as yet...

plus - how long does it take to register in the morning an all. Want to make sure I get out at 7am on the dot to help with busy roads ahead.

Haven't done the ride so cant comment on booking in. Coming back you need to think where you cross the downs. Retrace over the Beacon and you are riding against everyone who is behind you. West you are going over the Devils Dyke then shadow the A23 on lanes going west of Crawley and Gatport Airwick, go east then there is a cycle lane all the way to Falmer and I think on to Lewes the A275 north to East Grinstead. I've not got the local knowledge to pick an M25/North downs crossing but you will be limited by your route through the 'burbs.
    Neil
    Help I'm Being Oppressed
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Other than riding back, driving back in your own car an arranging transport with the organisers, what other methods can you use to get home?
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • kelsen
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Other than riding back, driving back in your own car an arranging transport with the organisers, what other methods can you use to get home?

I believe certain train services are open to bikes after midday. You could cycle partway back and hop on a train.
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    DonDaddyD wrote:

TARDIS? And you can get back before you start, and still have the whole day to recover......
  • If Early , get into Hove via A23, then A27 west, then off at A293 then head towards seafront then East on A259 towards Queen Victoria statue.

If the weather is HOT or its the afternoon then don't use A23. Get into Brighton via A24 , A283 (car boot sales can also back up for miles ) then A259. On hot days and when L2B is on the A23 will backup for miles outside Brighton.

Don't try and get into Hove via Devils Dyke because this road can back up for miles

Best approach is always West of Hove.

Have a great day
    I would take particular note of this post.

I have acted as support/recovery vehicle for the last 2 years (not this year as my wife 'did' Ditchling properly last year and so she feels there is no challenge for her - she wants to do London-Paris next :roll: ). Met the riders halfway-ish and then at the end.

To be honest I would avoid A23 after Haywards Heath area at any time on the day (or even further away if the weather is nice), if traffic is backed up entering Brighton then there is no escape route until the A27 - a bit boring for a youngster. Avoid Devil's Dike. It looks good until you get close to the roundabout onto the A27 and then you grind to a halt as the traffic on the roundabout will block you. Far quicker to come in from Steyning/Worthing. However, I've found exiting Brighton via Devil's Dyke fine (and a lot of people seem to cycle back that way, too).

I actually found driving around the Laines/station area in Brighton not too bad on the day, it was getting to Brighton from the North that was the problem. Parking can be a pain, but managed to get parking at the College on Whitecross Street both years (watch out for he height restriction if you have a roof mounted bike carrier); but if you've a pass to park somewhere in Hove you should be fine, and coming in from Worthing direction will be perfect for that.

Have a great day.
  • dugliss
    dugliss Posts: 235
    I would definitely advise your wife to forget about it and have a family day another time. Traffic absolutely horrendous last year. Either cycle back or get the coach.
  • Clever Pun

A23 then through pease pottage and stay on the A23..direct and much nicer once the motorway starts
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • Clever Pun
    kelsen wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

I believe certain train services are open to bikes after midday. You could cycle partway back and hop on a train.

They were banned all day when I went... you can take it apart and get friends to carry bits through onto the train
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • cyclopsbiker
    cyclopsbiker Posts: 516
    query for a colleague of mine who's riding L2B....her husband and friends also riding and they're booked for a 6.30am start. wierdly she's been given a 9.30am start and obviously feels miffed that she's not able to start at the same time...

what can she do?
    could she turn up at 6.30am and set of with hubby/friends without any problems??

any answers welcome :)
  • MonkeyMonster
    query for a colleague of mine who's riding L2B....her husband and friends also riding and they're booked for a 6.30am start. wierdly she's been given a 9.30am start and obviously feels miffed that she's not able to start at the same time...

what can she do?
    could she turn up at 6.30am and set of with hubby/friends without any problems??

any answers welcome :)

You're officially allowed to go later than start time but NOT before. Suggest next time going in as a team. They all get the same time then.
  • cyclopsbiker
    thanks MonkeyMonster. I'll let her know that's her only option
  • TommyEss
    TommyEss Posts: 1,855
    Suggest they all have a cuppa and a 99 ready for her for when she finally makes it...!
    Cannondale Synapse 105, Giant Defy 3, Giant Omnium, Giant Trance X2, EMC R1.0, Ridgeback Platinum, On One Il Pompino...
  • kelsen
    TommyEss wrote:
    Suggest they all have a cuppa and a 99 ready for her for when she finally makes it...!

Tea be cold and 99 be warm by the time she arrives. Screw the start time bureaucracy, just tell her to start at 6.30am along with the rest.
  • cyclopsbiker
    has anyone actually been successful at starting earlier than their alloted time?
  • amnezia
    amnezia Posts: 590
    They won't let you through the gates with an earlier start time but theres nothing to stop you joining the ride just after the start, you won't get a medal at the end but its not a big deal.