hefty sized rock + Down Tube

joshtp
joshtp Posts: 3,966
edited June 2010 in MTB general
So Whites level black run is mega dry and dusty at the mo, and loads of big, flying loose rocks mean im glad i dont ride a carbon frame.... but one particularily large rock resulting in a loud crack sound and a decent sized dent has got me both showing off my bikes "scar of manhood" and hoping my frame is OK, there's no crack, and other than some missing paint and a decent dent, no other damage.... the bike is a GT Aggressor XCR and the dent is right near the BB shell, on the downtube, of to one side slightly.

I think it should be OK (?) but is there anything to worry about?
I like bikes and stuff

Comments

• joshtp
    thought you might say that... ill get some tomorow...
    I like bikes and stuff
  • JamesBrckmn
    JamesBrckmn Posts: 1,360
    POIDH
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Carbonwouldhaveprobablyfaredbetter/10
  • Koiler
    Koiler Posts: 513
    Carbonwouldhaveshattered/10

:lol:
  • joshtp

:lol:

i know, i know... but if the rock has just been a little too big, and a little too fast, rather than bouncing off it would have smashed a hole in the frame..... its kinda all or nothing... at least with alu its just a dent
    I like bikes and stuff
  • Anonymous
    I'm pretty sure it wouldn't have smashed a hole in the frame. Almost certain in fact.
  • joshtp
    meh.... ill belive you.... still, i would be more worried about it than i am about me Alu frame.... even though i know, in my mind that it would be fine... its the reputation and doubt and suspition that goes with carbon, and is hard to shake.....

as it is, my alu frame is dented... and my camera's dead... ill sort sort some battery's asap.
    I like bikes and stuff
  • Mark_K
    Mark_K Posts: 666
    I'd rather ride a carbon frame though the rocks at whites than a alloy frame......ohh wait i do and i have no dents cracks or any damage other than a few paint/lacquer chips to show for my adventures or bad riding !!!!! :roll:

Sorry but i just DONT get the carbon haters on this forum !!! :?
  • Bikerbaboon
    Bikerbaboon Posts: 1,017

of couse it woud the OP said it was dry... if it was raining then the carbon bike would have melted :lol:
    Nothing in life can not be improved with either monkeys, pirates or ninjas
  • joshtp
    Mark_K wrote:
    I'd rather ride a carbon frame though the rocks at whites than a alloy frame......ohh wait i do and i have no dents cracks or any damage other than a few paint/lacquer chips to show for my adventures or bad riding !!!!! :roll:

Sorry but i just DONT get the carbon haters on this forum !!! :?
    not a carbon hater by any means... i love it actually... i just dont trust its rock impact withstanding abilyties.... on saturday night, after a full day of people hammering the trail on the Kona Mashup and in total dryness, the trail was so cut up and there were so many loose rocks it was like a joke.... i ride there quite a bit... and am prety fast..... im telling you.... a BIG rock at big speed, i wouldnt have fancied a carbon frame against that.... it was more than a paint chipper, it dented the point of a beefy, thick triangular down tube... i see carbon splinters in any light weight carbon bike rider's shins.....
    I like bikes and stuff
  • Torres
    Torres Posts: 1,266
    joshtp/mbukman
    "i just dont trust its rock impact withstanding abilyties...." There's a video somewhere of a canondale mechanic going to town on a carbon and an alu frame with a hammer - the carbon xame out much better.
    What We Achieve In Life, Echoes In Eternity
  • Anonymous
    also, try building an F1 car from aluminium, and crash it into a wall - see if you survive.
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    ^^^ this!

I hate when people think F1 cars are fragile. They seem to forget the cars are some the fastest cars about and the crashes are usually at crazy speeds.
  • Kiblams
    Kiblams Posts: 2,423
    jairaj wrote:
    ^^^ this!

I hate when people think F1 cars are fragile. They seem to forget the cars are some the fastest cars about and the crashes are usually at crazy speeds.

They are fragile! But the cockpits are designed to keep the driver alive in most impacts and the carbon helps with this in a big way.