different and unusual suspension

newbiketime
newbiketime Posts: 79
edited June 2010 in MTB general
We all know the big names such as Marzocchi, Rock Shox, Fox and Manitou. But are any of you using or have used suspension other then these and have good things to say about it? Brands such as Avalanche racing, Bombshell, Bos, Bergman, Brunn, Cane Creek, Conspiracy Bike Co, DNM, DT Swiss, Foes, Grossman, Hanebrink, Kowa, Maverick, Pace, Risse Racing, RST, Shockworks, Showa, SR Suntour, Star, Stratos, Tech-in, The, White Brothers and X Fusion. This is just out of general interest and please no slating of brands. Thanks

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    DT Swiss and Pace are now the same company, DT bought them out recently.
  • GHill
    GHill Posts: 2,402
    Bos, DT Swiss, Cane Creek and Foes are all supposed to be great. I'm considering a DT Swiss XMM 150 for a long travel hardtail build.

I had a X-Fusion shock a couple of years ago, seemed pretty good once I figured out how the rebound adjuster is supposed to work.
  • I've been riding a Pace fork for yonks, mine's a 2004 model rc36 and has now seen 6 years of less than perfect care just so, with a couple of factory services.

I've had nothing but good experiences with Pace, and will certainly be using a DT Swiss (whose fork are designed with significant input from the people from Pace) on my planned next bike.
  • Thread8
    Thread8 Posts: 479
    SR Suntour and RST are commonly found as forks on cheaper bikes
    Haro Thread 8
    Please help!

"It's like parkour, on a bike"
  • Anonymous
    RST also make some very nice aftermarket forks, but they're virtually unknown in the UK.

I used to lust after the early Pace carbon suspension forks for years, they really were the thing of dreams back then.
    I still intend to get my father some (he shared the lust for Pace) as a surpsise one day. He doesn;t ride much anymore, but I'm sure he'd appreciate the gesture.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    have bounced around on a few white bros forks.

nice but need a bit more TLC than the average fork.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Rented a MTB in Spain with a front fork made by a company called Spinner. Was quite impressed with it buttery smooth like a Marzochi before they went rubbish but a little bit flexy never seen one before or since.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • Some interesting comments there. I had totally forgotten about Spinner. They do some super light weight XC race forks that look stunning. They used to make the Rock Shox forks up until a few years ago if I recall correctly.

I recall seeing at the Mega Avalanche some very expensive looking long travel RST and SR Suntour forks that looked to be doing a good job. Though you only tend to see there budget forks here. SR Suntour make a lot of forks for other brands still.

I'm also a bit of a Pace fan my self. I raced on Pace RC150 for many years and had some RC39 up until last year. Both where great forks. My friend is still riding the RC150 these days on his hack bike. Cant believe the old things are still going. I was also thinking about getting some DT Swiss forks but I would have to peal there stickers off and stick some Pace ones on :lol:
  • Thread8
    Thread8 Posts: 479
    I think its SR Suntour that make the rear shocks for BSO's, you know the ones that have the shock adsorbing capabilities of a biro spring

Other than that, they are a pretty good company
    Haro Thread 8
    Please help!

"It's like parkour, on a bike"
  • joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    Maveric make some pretty awsome.. but flexy upside down forks, and waky FS's... Magura are a company you didnt mention, but make some awsome forks, and are actually pretty popular, esp in Germany, and with XC racers.

the rest vary... but contrary to opinion RST arnt all rubbish, they make some great high end forks, usually unseen in this country
    I like bikes and stuff
  • thel33ter
    thel33ter Posts: 2,684
    My Dad's bottom end maring came with some '120mm' travel spinners but only ever moved about 50-70mm, weighed a ton and filled up with water within a few months of use, but there were super basic ones, the fancy ones seem to be super light for the money.
    And now you know, and knowing is half the battle
    05 Spesh Enduro Expert
    05 Trek 1000 Custom build
    Speedily Singular Thingy
  • cavegiant
    cavegiant Posts: 1,546
    White Brothers make supremely plush forms, smoothest running units I have ever touched (fluid series, not the clunky magic).

Unfortunatly the fashionable american forks are best in the nice sunny USA weather, even with Enduro seals mine kept on dieing =-(

Still some of the best forks ever used, how they can make a 32mm 150mm fork stiffer than a Fox 36 and twice as plush is beyond me, but the water ingress, shame.

Never used avalanche, but supposed to be one of the best high premium rear shocks up there with Elka.

X-fusion forks are quite good, very similar to fox, make that suspiciously similar (especially as they used to make stuff for them). The designs tend to be a little taller and can take a 650b wheel as standard.

I have tried to look at Kowa but little info in English. Potentially interesting as use the kashima coat for ages, dampeners look basic though.
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?
  • chedabob
    chedabob Posts: 1,133
    The Suntour Epicon on my Fury seem pretty decent. Smooth travel, fairly easy to adjust. It just annoys the piss out of me that the lockout lever comes off so easily.
  • cavegiant wrote:
    I have tried to look at Kowa but little info in English. Potentially interesting as use the kashima coat for ages, dampeners look basic though.

From what I understand in the UK the Kowa forks are sold under another name. I think it was THE and now STAR but could be wrong. Think its MSD who was selling them. The Tech-in fork have also been using Kashima for a decade or so. Makes me wonder what all the fuss is about with the Fox forks.
  • upinsmoke
    upinsmoke Posts: 278
    Aren't Spinner and RST one and the same? I'm sure my '01 Kona Blast came with RST 351s made by Spinner. (Since replaced by Suntour Epicons)

[Edit] My bad...In-sync 351s made by spinner. http://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/BikeSpecs.aspx?Year=2001&Brand=Kona&Model=Blast&Type=bike
  • phz
    phz Posts: 478
    i have some society xeno DJs (100mm) - made by RST - only just getting them properly ridden in but they seem pretty stiff (20mm axle) and solidly made - no complaints so far

slainte :) rob
  • Rindle
    Rindle Posts: 219
    I saw some really excellent suntour forks at a tradeshow a few years ago. They said that the UK importer wasn't really interested in importing them though as it was seen as a cheap brand in the uk.

I remember some 100 -140 mm pike look alikes and some very nice cross country forks. They worked out about 15-20% cheaper than the rockshox or marrizochi equivalent. And they seemed to have a really good service plan sorted out too.
  • mattyboy199
    mattyboy199 Posts: 627
    can anyone remember ballistic forks
    Show me your green bits i might buy them !
  • Anonymous
    my bionicon was fitted with x fusion forks and shocks and were gorgeous to use.