Cyclist Killed at Weekend

Wallace1492
Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
edited October 2010 in Commuting chat
Not sure if this has been posted, but good to see the driver has been remanded in custody.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/edi ... 312854.stm
"Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"

Comments

• Yeah, my wife mentioned that one. Sad.
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    :cry:
  • aldric
    aldric Posts: 161
    Awful news :(
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Follow on story

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/edi ... 312854.stm

Drunk driver! :evil:

Let's hope he gets hit hard. Very hard.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • Lancslad
    Lancslad Posts: 307
    Yeah good solid old scottish name too. Wonder if he was driving legally (apart from the drunk bit). Hope they lock him up but i'm sure he'll get of lightly they normally do.
    Novice runner & novice cyclist
    Specialized Tricross
    Orbea (Enol I think)
  • Mickey Eye
    Mickey Eye Posts: 590
    Oh well done Lancslad, "there coming over here and running over our cyclists". Channelling the Daily Mail much?

Sad news, hope the guy is appropriately punished.
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    Mickey Eye wrote:
    Oh well done Lancslad, "there coming over here and running over our cyclists". Channelling the Daily Mail much?

Sad news, hope the guy is appropriately punished.

Think you're reading too much into Lancslad's comment!

In fact, your response is more Daily Mail than his :wink:
  • northstar
    northstar Posts: 407
    Very sad, rip.
    Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.
  • daviesee
    Update:- 5 Years.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-e ... e-11484475

So probably only 2 but hopefully it sends a message.
  • Zachariah
    Zachariah Posts: 782
    Roll on computer-controlled cars.
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    Lancslad wrote:
    Yeah good solid old scottish name too.

Whats that got to do with it?

RIP the victim, very sad.
  • antfly
    antfly Posts: 3,276
    It could be relevant. Whatever east european country he comes from drink driving may not be so culturally unacceptable or the laws may be different.
    FWIW the victim has a foreign name also.
    Smarter than the average bear.
  • daviesee
    The culprit is Polish and has been here long enough for his Polish licence to run out - he should have known better - no excuses.
    Oh, and I suppose it just slipped his mind about licences, insurance, MOT etc etc :evil:
  • W1
    W1 Posts: 2,636
    antfly wrote:
    It could be relevant. Whatever east european country he comes from drink driving may not be so culturally unacceptable or the laws may be different.
    FWIW the victim has a foreign name also.

Tough, he wasn't driving in "whatever east european country".

The fact is we're now having to pay £40k a year to keep him locked up and there is a distraught family out there (regardless of where).

I can't decide whether 5 years is justice or a kick in the teeth though.
  • antfly
    antfly Posts: 3,276
    I may have given the wrong impression, I certainly didn't mean to make excuses for him.
    Smarter than the average bear.
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    Zachariah wrote:

With the number of times computers go wrong or do the unexpected- I dread such a day
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • The problem is people think the worst that can happen if drink driving is: caught, nicked and cycling for a couple of years. 5 Years handed out to drink drivers would be a good start and work up from there when they cause carnage.
    Bianchi Nirone C2C FCN4
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    spen666 wrote:
    Zachariah wrote:

With the number of times computers go wrong or do the unexpected- I dread such a day

Imagine the litigation when something does go wrong. I imagine the nightmares surrounding liability would be as much of a limiter as any technological factors.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • W1
    W1 Posts: 2,636
    antfly wrote:
    I may have given the wrong impression, I certainly didn't mean to make excuses for him.

I didn't read your post as if you were - you were putting forward an explanation as to the underlying reason for his action. I was making the point that even if that were the explanation, it certainly isn't a justification (I think on that we can all agree).

I am a firm believer that when you visit or live in another country you adopt their laws and practices, and if you don't like them (or can't abide by them) you are free to leave.
  • dhope
    daviesee wrote:
    The culprit is Polish and has been here long enough for his Polish licence to run out - he should have known better - no excuses.
    Oh, and I suppose it just slipped his mind about licences, insurance, MOT etc etc :evil:

Ahh, now there's some Daily Mail style feedback.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • dhope wrote:
    daviesee wrote:

Hang on.... that's not daily mail style feedback! For starters it's all true! He WAS polish, his polish licence HAD run out, and he was driving unlicenced, uninsured and without an MOT!

And I think it's fair to say he should have known better...
  • With the number of times computers go wrong or do the unexpected- I dread such a day

The critical bits of most modern cars (steering, acceleration, brakes..) already have a computer somewhere in the path, and there have been plenty of court cases (and several fatalities, at least in the US :( ). Fortunately they employ a much higher calibre of software engineering than you're likely to find on your PC or phone.

Difference is, with the whole lot computer controlled, drivers could at least Do Other Stuff and might be less intolerant of lower speed limits where they're sensible.
  • daviesee
    dhope wrote:
    daviesee wrote:

No. It is my style feedback. And factual.

I have no experience of this Daily Mail to which you refer. Familiar with it yourself? :twisted:
  • dhope
    daviesee wrote:
    dhope wrote:
    daviesee wrote:

No. It is my style feedback. And factual.

I have no experience of this Daily Mail to which you refer. Familiar with it yourself? :twisted:

Enough that it gets my back up when I see stuff that looks like it.
    Just read it as though him being Polish was more important than him not having a license or insurance, if that wasn't the bent then fair enough.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • thelawnet
    thelawnet Posts: 719
    spen666 wrote:
    Zachariah wrote:

lots of computer bits in expensive cars already.

If you buy a top-end car now, you're looking at:

* radar-guided cruise control to keep you at a constant distance from cars in front
    * brake assist (adds additional force to brakes)
    * radar-guided braking (increase braking force to avoid hitting obstacle in front)
    * computer-aided parking (tells you to turn left, right, reverse, etc.)
    * electronic stability control
    * brake warning - radar-based, to warn when you are getting too close/approaching too fast
    * automated emergency braking - as above, but computer-activated, not just a warning
    * automated seat adjustment and seatbelt tensioning in hazardous situations
    * automated window closing in hazardous situations
    * lane departure warning
    * driver drowsiness detection (tries to wake you up)
    * blind spot warning systems

etc.