Etape and the Broom Wagon

Hi
Simple question: Is the sweep-off time based on the moment the first guy crosses the finish line? This puts the riders in the last Pens at a disdavnatage, they've gotta work harder. True or False? Just want to clarfiy a discussion our team riders have been having.

Comments

• clanton
    clanton Posts: 1,289
    No - as far as I understand it the cut offs are pre determined and have nothing to do with the fastest times.

That said I think the guys at the back ARE at a disadvantage as they will have the worst of the traffic to contend with on the first climb. As I'm in the last pen I'm hoping the field will be spread out enough by the Marie Blanc that this isn't too much of an issue.
  • jhop
    jhop Posts: 369
    Hi
    Simple question: Is the sweep-off time based on the moment the first guy crosses the finish line? This puts the riders in the last Pens at a disdavnatage, they've gotta work harder. True or False? Just want to clarfiy a discussion our team riders have been having.

You are correct the further back you are at the start the less time you have to avoid the broom wagon. Times are based on the actual start of the first riders and usually it is 20 - 40 minutes later that all riders cross the start. Those in the last pen have less 'spare time' and can ill afford to be one of those many who seem to puncture in the first stages. The wet streets in Pau last time the etape started there seemed to be littered with those with flats.
  • richa
    richa Posts: 1,632
    Elimination times are here:
    http://www.letapedutour.com/2010/ETDT/presentation/us/itineraire.htm

If in any doubt that you might get swept then tape some key points (i.e feeds & climbs) and times to your handlebars. i.e. 70.2k Feed Station 11:00

This allows you to make sure that if the wagons start getting close you can go down fighting.

I started the 2007 Etape (Foix-Loudenvielle) in the rear pen. It took 15mins to cross the startline (7:15) - so I was aware as I croosed the start that the broom wagon was 25mins behind me and chasing... The start was pretty fast - wide roads, both sides of roundabouts, etc - yet after the first 20k I had lost a further 5+ mins. However, then came a climb (col de port), I settled into my rhythm, made up 25mins on the climb, 10 on the descent and didn't worry again.

http://etape2007.blogspot.com/
    Rich
  • Just bear in mind that the elimination times are liable to change and the correct ones are available on the day at the event.
  • FransJacques
    FransJacques Posts: 2,148
    Start with failure in mind and your wishes will come true. Thinking of failure is the same as hoping for a negative outcome.

You'll have 2 hours at the top of the Marie Blanc, how much more do you need? The French need their roads back - they have to give them up again in a few days anyway. And the Tour is a lot worse than the etape for locals. If you delay them too long they may spread roofing tacks on the road. Or maybe that's just vitamin D-starved northerners who'd rather deep fry a mars bar then pedal a bike.

We will always be given crappy back pens so suck it up. (unless you pay GPM 10 or Cyclifit sheitloads). A mate who finished 550th on the Ventoux got 77xx this year - how do you explain that, given their "new" method of number allocation? I'm not going this year out of frustration with crap numbers.
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.
  • pdstsp
    pdstsp Posts: 1,264
    Calm down frnasjacques he only asked a straight question.
  • Casbar
    Casbar Posts: 168
    RichA wrote:
    Elimination times are here:
    http://www.letapedutour.com/2010/ETDT/presentation/us/itineraire.htm

If in any doubt that you might get swept then tape some key points (i.e feeds & climbs) and times to your handlebars. i.e. 70.2k Feed Station 11:00

This allows you to make sure that if the wagons start getting close you can go down fighting.

I started the 2007 Etape (Foix-Loudenvielle) in the rear pen. It took 15mins to cross the startline (7:15) - so I was aware as I croosed the start that the broom wagon was 25mins behind me and chasing... The start was pretty fast - wide roads, both sides of roundabouts, etc - yet after the first 20k I had lost a further 5+ mins. However, then came a climb (col de port), I settled into my rhythm, made up 25mins on the climb, 10 on the descent and didn't worry again.

http://etape2007.blogspot.com/

Good points RichA

In 2008 I was Bib # 7414 out of a total of 8000...The Broom Wagon was reving up next to my pen ( bastards :-) )...I crossed the start line 25 mins after the first riders and at the first small hill through a small village ( 30 km in ) I hit a bottle neck which cost me another 20 mins as we had to get off the bikes and walk it......Even then I finished the race way infront of the BW and was never threatened. ..I was not the fitest trust me.........but.u just need to keep above the dreaded average of 17.5km/h

Similar to last year FransJacques is poignant and brutal in making his point..........but he is 100% correct.

So forget the BW, if you have trained properly and maintain a good average it will never catch you ( assuming you have no mechanicals)...if you have not trained well for this the Marie Blanque and the Tourmalete will get you before the BW anyway 8)

Good luck to all of us

Cas
    exercise.png
  • dombo6
    dombo6 Posts: 582
    Second that.
    Forget about the broom wagon. It's behind you. What's behind doesn't matter - focus on what's ahead, get in a good group (there'll be plenty) and enjoy the day. Hopefully you'll have better weather than we did in 2008 and can enjoy the view on Tourmalet.
    One final thing, remember you're going up to 2100m. Therefore don't pump your tyres to the max, especially if it's a hot day. There were quite a few blowouts as we descended Tourmalet.