GPS

mda100
mda100 Posts: 7
edited June 2010 in MTB buying advice
Please, Please help!

I'm buying a GPS unit for mountain biking and some road riding but really don't know what to buy, so need help!

About a month ago I thought I would get a garmin edge 705 which seemed like a good choice. But then a few people said to me that it was a good unit for road cyclists but the garmin topo maps for off road use were useless? so i put off the purchase.

The three that I've now looked at are the Edge 705, MemoryMap Adventure and SatMap active 10.

Can anyone please help me with what to buy, or let me know of a better option than the three ive mentioned. I would be very gratefull!

Cheers.

Comments

• neninja
    neninja Posts: 424
    I've got a Satmap Active 10 and have been very pleased with it.

I'm only using the Satmap 1:50k maps but to be honest they are fine for 99% of rides. I always carry a local Explorer map in the backpack as a backup.

The Satmap lacks some of the fancy heart rate and cadence functions of the Edge but as a GPS with decent usable maps it is perfect. It has a good size screen that is big enough to read whilst on the move and is very easy to operate.

The MemoryMap Adventurer seems to get very mixed reviews which put me off.
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    mda100 wrote:
    About a month ago I thought I would get a garmin edge 705 which seemed like a good choice. But then a few people said to me that it was a good unit for road cyclists but the garmin topo maps for off road use were useless?

These people that say that dont have a 705 then and are just going on what other people may have said.

The maps are perfectly fine and detailed enough, I use mine for hill walking.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Garmin Dakota 20 £201 and bike mount £11 off amazon plus Ordnance Survey full UK 1:50K maps £99 off ebay.

Its what I bought recently and I am loving it. Dead easy to use the maps are exactly the same as the paper ones. It can also be used as a road navigator though it doesnt give you voice instructions just beeps when you approach a turn and shows the route on the map with the road name you are turning onto.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • hoochylala
    hoochylala Posts: 987
    Forget about the £99 for the maps - google Mobile Atlas Creator for your mapping needs.
  • MarkLG
    MarkLG Posts: 189
    Another vote for the Garmin Dakota 20. The national parks 1:50k OS map card covers most of the riding I do. Loads of features including cadence and heart rate with the optional accessories.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    hoochylala wrote:
    Forget about the £99 for the maps - google Mobile Atlas Creator for your mapping needs.

Yes they are free but they are also a pain in the bum to download and they dont have all the details on that full OS maps have. I gave the free maps a try but honestly I couldnt be bothered. I reckon its well worth spending a few quid, sliding the micro SD card in the slot and away you go.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • TowerRider
    TowerRider Posts: 430
    I personally have gone for a Garmin Edge 705 and hope it is delivered in the next few days. I have looked into the maps (would always be carrying my o/s map and also printed relevant map tiles) and can see that Topo is not ideal but I have seen the opensource maps and it all looks acceptable

PLUS are the other items Computer trainers or 'just' gps mapping?
  • camerauk
    camerauk Posts: 1,000
    another vote for the Dakota 20 with the free maps which you just download and put straight on your unit
    also I have been using the mobile atlas creator software which is great as you can make OS maps of the areas that you ride in and the detail is great it takes a bit of getting use to but is really easy when you get to grips with it they then load in as Garmin custom maps and work great
    Specialized Camber Expert
    Specialized Allez Sport
  • camerauk
    here is link to Mobile Atlas Creator
    http://mobac.dnsalias.org/
    here is a link how to use
    http://videos.apnicommunity.com/Video,I ... 42230.html
    and the free maps
    http://talkytoaster.info/ukmaps.htm
    Specialized Allez Sport
  • TowerRider
    All the votes for Dakota - is it a cycle computer, I don't know but I doubt it or the Edge 705 would be pointless? Surely if someone is looking into GPS and gone with idea of Edge 705 they are certainly thinking about cycle computer/training.
  • camerauk
    it does nearly all that the edge 705 does with a bigger screen
    I know it does not do calories but as for other things not sure
    It does do all that I need from a bike GPS and so much more than my Edge 205(yes I know it did not have maps lol)
    best thing I have got in ages :lol:
    Specialized Allez Sport
  • ExeterSimon
    ExeterSimon Posts: 830
    TowerRider wrote:
    All the votes for Dakota - is it a cycle computer, I don't know but I doubt it or the Edge 705 would be pointless? Surely if someone is looking into GPS and gone with idea of Edge 705 they are certainly thinking about cycle computer/training.

It's not a dedicated cycle computer like the 705 but it does have HR and cadence features if you buy the necessary accessories.

It's marketed as an offroad GPS aimed at MTBers an it's the opportunity to use OS mapping thats it's biggest drawer.

But get the Oregon instead...shop around and you can get it for just a few pounds more than the Dakota.

But you won't go wrong with either unit.
    Whyte 905 (2009)
    Trek 1.5 (2009)
    Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp (2007)
  • TowerRider
    Well I have got my 705 ordered and it should be here soon and looking at Garmins website it certainly seems to suit me best - training and virtual partner e.t.c.
    . I didn't pay close to £270 but if I see a broken Oregon I will think about buying that - suppose I could have both.