Handheld GPS Question! What do you you think?

StudentGPS
StudentGPS Posts: 3
edited June 2010 in MTB general
Hello! My name is Ryan and I’m an MBA student at Washington University in St. Louis. I am doing a research project on GPS Tracking devices for cyclists, and I was hoping the contributors on this forum could aid me in my research. I’ve put together a very short survey that you can take to give your feedback about what features and systems you would like to see in the GPS Market.

The survey can be found here - http://olinbusiness.qualtrics.com/SE?SID=SV_2bZIx90OM5IkMyU - and I would be very grateful for 1 minute of you time. Thank you so much. If you have any other feedback, please post to this thread too! Thanks!

Ryan
Washington University in St. Louis
Olin Business School – 2011

Comments

• alexj2233
    alexj2233 Posts: 381
    That was a very short survey!

I think more questions could have been included on pricing of a GPS device and versatility etc.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Is ruggedized a word?!

Done the survey, but agree there are far more variables than the survey implies.
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    filled in.
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • Thread8
    Thread8 Posts: 479
    Taken, good survey although seemed a bit vague in places
    Haro Thread 8
    Please help!

"It's like parkour, on a bike"
  • ExeterSimon
    ExeterSimon Posts: 830
    njee20 wrote:
    Is ruggedized a word?!

Done the survey, but agree there are far more variables than the survey implies.

Yes..although I think Garmin invented it!

Survey done.
    Whyte 905 (2009)
    Trek 1.5 (2009)
    Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp (2007)
  • neninja
    neninja Posts: 424
    Completed
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    I have a Garmin and an iPhone. No way I would rely on an iPhone. The Garmin is waterproof, has a good battery life, replaceable batteries and will survive life on the bars on my bike. Using your normal phone as a nvigation aid really is putting all your eggs on your bars or just the same as carrying a map (in so much as you have to stop to get it out).
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • Thanks for the reply. I definitely realize the survey has its shortcomings, but generally I'm trying to gauge where the market is headed. People are so obssesed with their smartphones these days, and there are some pretty awesome programs out there, but like some of you have said, the ruggedized has some serious positives.
  • fletch8928
    fletch8928 Posts: 794
    Filled in.

When I got my smartphone I thought yeay i can do gps on my bike. In reality its naff, and am saving up and waiting til loans are finished in the autumn to get me a proper gps thingy.
    fly like a mouse, run like a cushion be the small bookcase!