FAO: Fife and Lothian roadies

fenski
fenski Posts: 119
Hi there - I'm after some route advice please.

I'm planning the route of a sponsored bike ride from Balbeggie in Perthshire to Newtongrange in Midlothian later this year - I know the Perthshire roads well, but I'm a bit clueless further south...

I reckon I will either go via Yetts Of Muckhart or Kelty - where do you suggest I go after that, bearing in mind I'd like to avoid the busiest roads? Should I cross the Forth via the Forth Road Bridge or Kincardine Bridge? And on the Lothian side are there any good routes that might avoid some of the traffic?

Thanks in advance.

PS: I know that Balbeggie and Newtongrange might not be the most obvious route start and end points, but there is a good reason:) As it is brass band related, I won't bore you with the details!

Comments

• daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Hi,

North of the Forth any route that avoids the M90 or A92 should be fine.
    South of the Forth is another issue.
    Taking the Forth Bridge (right now it is the West side of the bridge that is open for crossing) is the obvious answer but you will have to go right though Edinburgh and constant referring to maps if you are unfamiliar. The A90 is a no-go so you have to cut through South Queensferry and follow the bike path, or go through Kirkliston.
    (Cyclist killed there at the weekend :cry: RIP).

You could go over the Kincardine Bridge but you could take the scenic route right round Edinburgh. Probably a bit long though.

I will let Edinburgers comment on that.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • mercurykev
    mercurykev Posts: 264
    The problem you'll have is that you'll have to cut through the centre of Edinburgh; however, you could choose to follow the National Cycle Route 1 from the Forth Bridge to Dalkeith it isn't too bad. I'd go via Glenfarg and down through Kinross and Kelty before crossing the FRB. Here's a possible route:

http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Balbeggie-Brass-Band-Blowout
  • fenski
    fenski Posts: 119
    Kev - Thanks for doing the route!

The alternative south of Perth to the Forth, would be Dunning > Yetts Of Muckhart > Kelty. I always enjoy Dunning Glen.
  • scapaslow
    scapaslow Posts: 305
    fenski wrote:
    Kev - Thanks for doing the route!

The alternative south of Perth to the Forth, would be Dunning > Yetts Of Muckhart > Kelty. I always enjoy Dunning Glen.

As a Dunning Glen fan you might like to know that the poor section of road from the bridge over the River Devon up to the Yetts has been resurfaced and is a joy!