Alternative Route? Clapham to Islington

HeatherG
HeatherG Posts: 17
edited June 2010 in Commuting chat
Ok, so a week last Friday I had my first encounter with a large white metal object with wheels on, whilst hammering down towards Blackfriars Bridge. The lights were green at the Ludgate Circus junction and the traffic was flowing pretty quickly so I was doing well to even keep up. Just as I passed the ASL box, out of nowhere a white lorry turns in front of me to go left, forcing me off the road, up onto the pavement. I'm not sure he even really saw me! I'm kicking myself as I normally take primary at such junctions, but hadn't been able to pull out to secure the position this time.
Needless to say, it took the wind out of me slightly.
I've always hated the whole Smithfield Market to Southwark Station run anyway, but this has just about done it for me now.
Does anyone have any recommendations on an alternative route? I was thinking about Waterloo Bridge-The Strand-Fleet St-St Pauls-Barbican and straight up Goswell Rd, but it seems a bit long-winded. All suggestions most welcome!

Comments

• zrazzle
    zrazzle Posts: 79
    I have a long recommendation, depends which part of clapham/islington I guess?

I'll just tell you what I do and you can see if you can amend...

Camden/Regents Park to Battersea = down the outer circle and over to portland place, right onto devonshire st, padddington st, crawford st, right down homer st, left old marylebone road, >>> sussex gardens, >>> sussex sq, >>> hyde park and through to queen's gate, queensgate mews>>onslow gardens right onto fulham road, and left onto beauford street and then across battersea bridge and wherever you wanna go in clapham.

You could go down the canal from islington to regents? Probably a really long route but it's pretty quiet and nice.
  • mrc1
    mrc1 Posts: 852
    Depends where in Islington but I used to do:

Upper Street - St John street - Roseberry Avenue - Theobolds Road - Proctor Street one way - Holborn briefly - Left onto Kingsway - Round Aldwych -

From this bit you can either continue over Waterloo Bridge and bosh down to vauxhall etc that way or you can link up with victoria embankment and then take the bridge of your choosing further West.

I used to go over waterloo as my mate lived very close to the station. If you do go this way you have to do the horrible vauxhall junction though which isnt pleasant but it does spit you out onto Wandsworth Road and eventually Lavendar Hill.
    http://www.ledomestiquetours.co.uk

Le Domestique Tours - Bespoke cycling experiences with unrivalled supported riding, knowledge and expertise.

Ciocc Extro - FCN 1