Getting over bicycle theft

SuperBOB
SuperBOB Posts: 33
edited June 2010 in Commuting chat
Lost my bike over the weekend - discovering new levels of anger and hatred of the world around me. How do I get over this?

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    You need to buy 2 (yes TWO) bikes, as you have an n-1 scenario right now you need to buy two, that will then achieve the true N+1 path to happiness through the 'zen and the art of bike buying' principle......

That or catch the thieveing toe rag who nicked you bike and beating the living bejesus out of him (in your dreams obviously, I cannot condone violence in the physical plane)......

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Sorry to hear about your bike, how was it stolen?
  • nich
    nich Posts: 888
    If you can get a replacement do that asap.

Got my lovely on-one mtb stolen a couple of years ago and left it almost a year before replacing it. In that time I did get out on my road bike, but kinda lost the passion for mtb'ing. Thankfully getting back into it now with the new one ;)
  • Sorry to hear that, Bob. I can remember the anguish when (aged 10) mine was nicked outside the church where I was then a choirboy. What made it worse was that I'd spent ages the previous day sticking spare transfers off all my Airfix kits all over it. That and the fact that five bikes went and mine was the ony one never recovered.

Hope you can either get yours back or (far better idea) get a much better one in its place. Any chance of the insurance peeps coughing up?
  • Mark Elvin
    Mark Elvin Posts: 997
    SuperBOB wrote:
    Lost my bike over the weekend - discovering new levels of anger and hatred of the world around me. How do I get over this?

Until you have had your head stamped on, your face kicked by 7 thugs & left in the gutter for dead, critcally ill in hospital you have no idea what hatred for the world is. Over a year on & I still have the effects of the physical injuries. A bike can be replaced.

Get over it.
    2012 Cannondale Synapse
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    Mark Elvin wrote:
    SuperBOB wrote:

Until you have had your head stamped on, your face kicked by 7 thugs & left in the gutter for dead, critcally ill in hospital you have no idea what hatred for the world is. Over a year on & I still have the effects of the physical injuries. A bike can be replaced.

Get over it.

That's you told Bob, you're not allowed to use the word hatred as Mark has told you you are wrong
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    Yeah. Exactly.

Hitler.

That's you told.

:roll:

I strongly suggest filling the hole in your heart with another bicycle as quickly as is humanly possible. Dry your tears by swooning over the pages of ProCycling, and put your puffy, red eyes to good use scanning the internet for a new two-wheeled friend.

Blasted bicycle thieves.
  • Mark Elvin
    spen666 wrote:

That's you told Bob, you're not allowed to use the word hatred as Mark has told you you are wrong

No, mearly pointing out that "hatred for the world" over a bike theft is a bit drastic. Try having an experiance like I did last May & you get a whole new outlook on life.
    2012 Cannondale Synapse
  • Mark Elvin wrote:
    spen666 wrote:

No, mearly pointing out that "hatred for the world" over a bike theft is a bit drastic. Try having an experiance like I did last May & you get a whole new outlook on life.

One which involves saying that other people can't get upset about their bike being stolen, because some random person he's never met has had it so much worse? You should try being a young girl living in Rwanda during the civil war, mate, you'd have a completely different outlook on your completely different outlook on life.

SB, whilst you may never replace the bike you loved, you may, in time find a new love. You have my sympathy. As does Mark.
  • WesternWay
    WesternWay Posts: 564

SB, whilst you may never replace the bike you loved, you may, in time find a new love. You have my sympathy. As does Mark.

What he said.
  • SuperBOB
    Thanks all. I am coming to terms with my loss!

It was stolen from a friends companies car park - there is some CCTV, a semi-secure entrance. Its possible the police will look at the CCTV, put the guys face out to the local newspapers - and retrieve my bicycle. But in the real world I suppose I am just added onto some statistic and forgotten about.

Nigel - some hope of claiming on the house insurance! (though it wasn't that expensive a bike, so it might not be worth it)

UndercoverElephant - already window/web-shopping, got to save the pennies first though

Mark - Good advice! Its a bit raw though. I only discovered it missing this morning and I have a strong (but healthy) attachment to my bike. I expect ill be a bit grumpy until I have slept on it. Hope you recover fully from your incident....
  • Mark Elvin
    SuperBOB wrote:
    Hope you recover fully from your incident....

Thanks, but I'm afraid it's not gonna happen.

Some brain damage affecting my memory & spelling, my right eye does not move due to the muscles being damaged beyond repair, I have no feeling in the RHS of my face, and mucho titanium in my herad (at least it's light)

Didn't mean to come across as unsympathetic, but in this life things need to be kept in proportion I have learnt.
    2012 Cannondale Synapse
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    Sorry to hear about your loss

I had one nicked years back I had to get the tube in my cycle gear, people stared at me funny but it seemed they had the common sense to ask me where my bike was.. might have been the steam coming out of my ears
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    Mark Elvin wrote:
    spen666 wrote:

One which involves saying that other people can't get upset about their bike being stolen, because some random person he's never met has had it so much worse? You should try being a young girl living in Rwanda during the civil war, mate, you'd have a completely different outlook on your completely different outlook on life.

+1
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • SuperBOB
    Mark Elvin wrote:
    SuperBOB wrote:

Some brain damage affecting my memory & spelling, my right eye does not move due to the muscles being damaged beyond repair, I have no feeling in the RHS of my face, and mucho titanium in my herad (at least it's light)

Didn't mean to come across as unsympathetic, but in this life things need to be kept in proportion I have learnt.

No worries, I don't mind..... I work for one of the worlds leading brain injury research departments coincidentally! The brain has a remarkable way of surpassing most peoples expectations with recovery... (Disclaimer: not a researcher, just support them!)
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Woah, what have cliff been putting in their bars? People on this site seem ready for war... perhaps its the heat.

Bob, sorry to hear about your bike, horrible feeling that you never truly get over or forget. All you can do is get another bike and love it as much as the old one.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Fireblade96
    Fireblade96 Posts: 1,123
    Bike thieves suck !

I had two stolen in quick succession a few years back. I too hated the world rather a lot for several days.

The only way to make it better is to ensure that whatever you buy to replace it is an upgrade. Cherish the new bike and never let it out of your sight. Buy a town bike for £40 that you can leave unattended in reasonable confidence of it being there on your return.
    Misguided Idealist
  • Aidy
    Aidy Posts: 2,015
    You need to buy 2 (yes TWO) bikes, as you have an n-1 scenario right now you need to buy two, that will then achieve the true N+1 path to happiness through the 'zen and the art of bike buying' principle......

I had a bike stolen a little while ago, getting it replaced via insurance (and the new thing should be pretty shiny). Built up some sort of hack to tide me over on commuting duties whilst I wait for it.

This probably follows your two new bikes solution, but I'm thinking about a third...
  • El Diego
    El Diego Posts: 440
    Mark Elvin wrote:
    SuperBOB wrote:

Really sorry to hear about this. Cowardly attack.
  • Mark Elvin
    El Diego wrote:
    Really sorry to hear about this. Cowardly attack.

Thanks, but I'm afraid shit happens & I am just determined to get on with my life.

In fact I think it has made me a better person, I have a different outlook on life know.
    2012 Cannondale Synapse