Proper mudguards.

UndercoverElephant
UndercoverElephant Posts: 5,796
edited July 2010 in Commuting chat
Hi Chaps.

My new (well, old) Orbea has quite large gaps between the tyre and brake caliper, leading me to believe that I might stand a chance of getting proper mudguards to fit it. It doesn't have fixings on the front fork, but I suspect I could manage something with a P-clip, right?

It has an unexplained screw on the rear drop-out, which looks like it's some kind of tension adjuster, but the drop-outs are vertical, so this can't be, right?

I do have some crud-guards lying about which I could use if needs be, but I'd quite like something more suited, if possible. Does anyone think it may be possible?

Comments

• lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    I don't know quite how you'd go about attaching mudguards with p-clips at the top of the fork, mine on the tifosi hang off the brake, and then attach to the bottom of the fork, near the dropout.

If you mean with p-clips at the bottom of the fork then that sounds do-able. Check out the SKS chromoplastics full guards...
  • I meant at the bottom of the fork. Sounds plausible then, might go a shopping at lunchtime.

Either that or I'll just buy the tarty, stainless-steel ones that I've had my eye on...

21P18.jpg
  • Big pimpin'...

:D

But, but, the Orbea is SOOOOOO pretty! She deserves it! :oops:
  • lost_in_thought
    Big pimpin'...

:D

But, but, the Orbea is SOOOOOO pretty! She deserves it! :oops:

:lol:

She's your bike, you put whatever you see fit on her! I would heartily recommend the mr Crud racer ones, though.
  • You can just use zip ties as deomstrated here

http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=15694378

I haven't noticed any difference in performance over proper eyelets.
  • Well, I went to a bike shop and the mechanic looked pretty sceptical that I'd get any guards to fit at all. I'l admit it, the clearances are somewhat tight...

I may just fit the Crud guards after all, they're just sitting in the garage at the moment.
  • Well, I *did* fit the Crud ones for a while, but never got over the hankering for the Gilles Berthoud Stainless Steel ones above.

I resisted for about six weeks before I bought the tarty ones, yes, my resistence is *that* strong. :lol: Forty odd quid at dotbike later and I now have them. I got some p-clips and fitted them with those and some cable ties. Looking very good indeed, and really set off the Orbea nicely. The clearances are quite tight, but I run 23mm tyres anyway, they run freely so far.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    With noting that the Crud ones have been revised and version 2 has just been released. Much more effective apparently.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • Don't get me wrong, the Cruds are fine on a race bike, but the Orbea has too much clearance for them really, so they looked odd floating so far above the tyre. May pop them on the BeOne.
  • Zachariah
    Zachariah Posts: 782
    I mistyped dotbike and got this.
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    Looking very good indeed, and really set off the Orbea nicely.

gief px naow
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • Agent57 wrote:
    Looking very good indeed, and really set off the Orbea nicely.

gief px naow

You what now? Ah, pix?

Before, with the Crud guards...

DSC09849.jpg

After, with the stainless steel jobs:

DSC00084-1.jpg
  • lost_in_thought
    Yeah, the second set do look damn pretty.
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    Yep, the stainless Gilles Barthoud look nice, but I have to ask:

What the deuce is going on with your bar angle? They're nearly diving into the ground! Maybe it's just the old skool bike thing, but it looks quite... erm... tilted.
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • davis wrote:
    Yep, the stainless Gilles Barthoud look nice, but I have to ask:

What the deuce is going on with your bar angle? They're nearly diving into the ground! Maybe it's just the old skool bike thing, but it looks quite... erm... tilted.

Erm, yes. Well my BeOne has anatomical drops, which present the same angle to your hands. I'm mimicking this. They're very comfortable, except the brake are a little low so the drops position is a bit stretched out. I'll fix this the next time the bar tape needs replacing.