carrera vs decathlon?

dcurzon
dcurzon Posts: 290
edited June 2010 in Commuting chat
Hi All

I'm looking to buy a bike to take in the 5.5mile e/w journey to the station, and hopefully much further once i get into the swing of things... been about 20 years since i rode a bike!

Dont really want to purchase 2nd hand, as not confident that i would know what i'm buying... so looking at new bikes.

As much as i'd like to be able to budget to afford a Giant Defy etc etc, realistically, i am looking at Carrera TDF, currently £299 at halfords, or Decathlons BTwin Sport 1, £269.

The TDF seems to have nicer wheels, odd forks (almost straight down like a bmx), 16 gears
the Sport1 has 27 gears, which is a plus over the Carrera, and £30 cheaper.

Not sure which is the better of the 2 bikes though??
B'Twin Sport 1
FCN 7 =4, +2(non cycling clothes) +1(beard)

Comments

• Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    I should think at that price the frames are much of a muchness in terms of quality and probably made in the same factory in Taiwan anyway, so I would focus on the componentry and feel of the bike when you ride it
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • shouldbeinbed
    shouldbeinbed Posts: 2,660
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... t=12687994

all about the very decathlon bike.
  • dcurzon
    ta. just took the sport1 for a spin around the shop floor. 57 and a 54. the 54 felt better, but i put that down to the seat having been made higher than on the 57. Seemed ok, shimano triple (?) levers/shifters, some weird brand crankset/cassette - build quality on those looked a little rough. home label brakes but probably more than adequate. Nobody in shop coming to see me, despite me lifting their bikes out of the displays and cruising around the shop... also, website shows as 27 gears, but cogs count to 24.

the carrera is shimano tektro levers, shimano crankset/cassette. I'll pop into halfords later and check that one out again
    B'Twin Sport 1
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,120
    I think the TdeF Carrera is a bit of a con, check the spec versus their regular bikes, don't think it's as good value?

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • tyk3
    tyk3 Posts: 13
    SecretSam wrote:
    I think the TdeF Carrera is a bit of a con, check the spec versus their regular bikes, don't think it's as good value?

Only if you pay full price for the TDF. Halfords have it reduced to £300 at the minute, and the spec is virtually identical to the virtuoso, which is £50 more expensive.
  • dcurzon
    see why its so confusing?? lol £300 seems pretty reasonable for the TDF, as does £270 for the sport1...
    B'Twin Sport 1
  • Kiblams
    Kiblams Posts: 2,423
    Not sure if it's the same for road bikes, but you get ALOT more bike for your money with the Rockrider MTBs (Decathlon) than the Carrera MTBs (Halfords) at almost every pricepoint.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    It depends on the deals with the MTBS. Look at the Kraken - when it is 330 nothing really beats that, and the Fury is easily the match of the 8.1.
  • i have a TDF and used to own a decathalon sport 1 (which was stolen :twisted: ) i prefer the TDF its sticks to the road better in the corners. I also think that the frame geometry is a bit more relaxed, i used to get a bit of back ache from the sport one, but that could have just been poor setup on my part. I must say my TDF has been a real workhorse i've put in a couple of thousand miles over the last year and not had any problems. I did set it up myself though :wink: Although i do think the decathalon sport one was a bit quicker in a straight line.

Either way there both pretty good basic hack bikes!
    All hail the FSM and his noodly appendage!
  • dcurzon
    popped into halfrauds for the 4th time, pulled the tdf off the rack and had a little cycle around the store... once again, no assistant asking if i needed any help... laying it on its side to check it all out etc.

anyway... it feels odd to ride with the forks being so straight, feels like being perched over the bars (took size Large from the rack). But theres a few features that i prefer over the sport1 (wether they're worth the extra £30 i'm not sure), the brakes to start with - the tektro have some little plastic levers on the caliper for quick adjustment, handy, and non existent on the sport1. might have to price up the calipers and see if they make £30 difference. I also prefer the wheels on the tdf. but the pedals are ghastly! however, it is a shimano crankset.
    B'Twin Sport 1
  • at that price for a road bike all the included pedals are rubbish and whichever bike you buy youll be wanting a set of SPD's quick smart!
    All hail the FSM and his noodly appendage!
  • peuan
    peuan Posts: 8
    I just got a Carrera TDF a few weeks ago. I'd been eyeing the Carrera Virtuoso for some years and was all set to get it on our CTW scheme, when halfords reduced the price, making it cheaper than the Virtuoso. I think its an absolute bargain at the reduced price.

+ point for the TDF, is that its got rack/mudguard mounts as standard. The Decathlon: I can see just about see from the pictures, that there's holes on the bottom of the seat stays, but looks like you'll need p-clips for the top. Not sure whether there's holes on the front forks, can't see from the picture. Might be worth thinking about if you're wanting a rack and mudguards...

As for the ride, I found it a little harsh at first, coming from a steel MTB and steel 80s road bike, but it's settled down now, I think there's less air in the front tyre and I'm getting used to it.

Pedals, yes as BicyclePirate said, they're rubbish. Swapped mine for SPDs straight away.

If you do decide on the TDF, might want to hurry, the guys in Halfords said once they come into the store and get reduced that's the last of the stock.