Community Clothing

Bucklsp
Bucklsp Posts: 12
edited June 2010 in Commuting chat
I'm about to start my first commute to work. Approx 6 miles each way. Looking forward to it!

Any tips on what clothing I should buy/take with me each day? I need some sort of leg-wear and a couple of tops, and something waterproof. If you guys get caught in heavy rain do you wear a poncho? Seems a bit old fashioned, but effective!

Cheers
Steve

Comments

• WesternWay
    WesternWay Posts: 564
    At this time of year I don't really bother with waterproofs, the temperature is not cold enough for the rain to be too much of an issue so I tend to wear shorts, a long sleeve wicking top if it is chilly and then a t-shirt.

I would like a nice pair of baggies, but paying fifty quid on a pair of shorts is pretty much against my religion, so I make do with something rubbish .
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    WesternWay wrote:
    At this time of year I don't really bother with waterproofs, the temperature is not cold enough for the rain to be too much of an issue

nah. he's posting from Manchester!!! :)

i've never seen anyone in a poncho, but they are on sale in serious places, so someone must were them. 6 miles is a moderate commute, so maybe a cheap poncho to grab if it starts to rain might be a good option.

if it was raining when i got up, don't know if i'd want to start the journey in a poncho.....

i've got a serious winter waterproof, for bad winter weather, but in the summer I use a polaris lightweight waterproof that folds into its own pocket. it was quite cheap, and isn't the most breathable or waterproof, but it's ok for those times you get caught out.....
  • shouldbeinbed
    shouldbeinbed Posts: 2,660
    Bucklsp you don't need to pay silly money for kit right now. Aldi shorts/briefs for a couple of quid and a pair of baggies for a fiver from matalan or asda etc aren't a whole lot different to my birthday gift endura humvees at nearly 10x the price.
    I ride in a Hi Viz polo shirt £10 from B&Q - comfy, wicks well, is Hi Viz and way cheaper than a bikey top.

Lycra leg and arm warmers from a decent LBS if you want longer and more warmth - harry halls have them for round anout the £10-20 mark, but TBH this time of year you'll prob be too warm in them.

Decathlon do a decent wind & waterproof gilet (£15) and ponchos (£ less than that) that you'd probably be fine with. also a sleeved water/windproof coat £25 same comfy cut as the gilet.

I don't tend to bother with full waterproofs unless its really raining as invariably you end up just as wet inside from sweating as you would with the rain. keep your body warm, dry and ventilated and you'll be fine.

TBH for those taking the P out of our fair city, I barely ever get rained on in Manchester despite min 20 miles a day round and about it.

more to the point what are you carrying for work and how much of it can you leave there - if you can its good to leave a full wash kit there if you've showers, good stash of babywipes and a flannel for a sink wash if not and as much clothing for the week as you can. leave bulky stuff like shoes there permanently and maybe do a run once a week in the car (if you've got one) or on the bus with (T) shirts kex and trous etc. then just bring the dirties home day by day.
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    I ride in a Hi Viz polo shirt £10 from B&Q - comfy, wicks well, is Hi Viz and way cheaper than a bikey top.

Interesting, interesting....

All good advice above, a Montane Velo or similar jacket might be a good investment for unexpected rainy days, won't keep you bone dry for much more than an hour, but packs down very small and isn't too boil-in-the-bag.