Legionnaires' Disease Kills Motorists!

rml380z
rml380z Posts: 244
edited June 2010 in Commuting chat
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ukpress/article/ALeqM5j20Nmm6JerQxtUe67jPPgI_IQdcw

Scant information on the details of the study, but another reason (if you need one) to be out on the bike!

Comments

• asquithea
    asquithea Posts: 145
    Actually, I think you're more likely to get a face full of dirty screen-wash if you're following behind on a bike. Many cars spray water over the top of the car at ~ 20 mph.
  • Kiblams
    Kiblams Posts: 2,423
    asquithea wrote:
    Actually, I think you're more likely to get a face full of dirty screen-wash if you're following behind on a bike. Many cars spray water over the top of the car at ~ 20 mph.

This is what i was thinking as I watched the news report on it this morning! So I guess this begs the question, how many of us cycle commuters have ever got the disease?
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,412
    I think they only found an increased incidence in those who drive for a living. I believe (although I haven't checked) that they first started off by looking for particular groups within the general population who seemed to have an increased incidence of Legionnaires' Disease, and having identified those who drive for a living as one such group, then looked for possible sources of exposure, discovering that the screen wash reservoir was a likely culprit. They have still to do further research to confirm the findings, but this would suggest that cycle commuters didn't come up as a group unduly affected by :Legionnaires', so I don't think we are at particular risk.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Similar report says that shower heads are another prime source.

My advice:- ignore reports :twisted:

Although cleaning your shower head may be a sensible thing to do.........
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.