Joining a local cycle club to improve fitness?

Roougers
Roougers Posts: 36
edited June 2010 in Commuting chat
Hi guys,

Just a quick question. I have just started a daily commute after about a year or so break and am struggling big time with fitness, particularly on my ride home which I normally do at 22:00, so its late and at the moment pretty chilly, but only about 7 miles.

I'm crap in the gym, and I tend not to be able to push myself when I am out on the road anymore. So just wandering if anyone has had a similar experience or gone down a similar route?

Enjoying the forum BTW!!

Comments

• Hi there,

when you say you've just started, how long have you been going? It sometimes takes a while, a year's break is a significant amount of time to lose fitness.
  • SuperBOB
    SuperBOB Posts: 33
    I recently started commuting via cycle as well. Took about a month to get over the bum pain, then another month to get hooked.

Give yourself a break if like me, you didn't do any other real exercise - 15 miles a day can take its toll.

Go slow towards the end of the week and keep it up! :-)
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 61,187
    Welcome :)

I've not tried joining any club becuase my other commitments stop me from riiding at fixed times apart from to & from work. I try to push myself by setting a target time/time to beat getting back, or work to something fixed like getting to work by a certain time or getting back in time to watch the footy etc.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]