Shimano M575 Brake Problems

bugmonkey
bugmonkey Posts: 27
edited February 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
My Pinnacle Coldharbour came with Shimano M575 brakes. Since I got the bike around a month ago (ridden about 150 miles) I've been having issues with the front brake. From the start stopping power hasn't been great (after bedding in the pads) and the lever was really spongy. I bled it and took loads of air out of the system, which made things much better, however over time they got worse again - to the point where I could pull back the level until it touched the bar and they still didn't really bite. I'm new to bleeding brakes so tried again and removed loads more air. I also checked the lever, cable and calliper to see if there were any small leaks but didn't see any.

Over time the brakes have become spongy again and during a ride after work on Friday I noticed some oil was coming out of the lever where the piston enters the housing. I'm guessing that there's something wrong with one of the seal which means oil leaks out and air gets sucked in when the brakes are operated.

Does anyone have any ideas on a fix? Is it possible to replace the seals in the lever?

The back brake works fine, not amazing stopping power, but at least it's consistent and isn't getting worse.

Cheers,

Neil

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    new bike then take it back. sounds like the seals have gone.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    Need new seals.

If you don't feel too confident about this, give it to your LBS
  • SWounds like it is a leak, if fluid is coming out. If it is only a month old get it fixed/replaced under warranty.
  • bugmonkey
    bugmonkey Posts: 27
    Thanks, unfortunately I thought that might be the answer.

I'll contact Evans and see what they say, unfortunately I don't live near an Evans shop (the bike was a replacement from my insurance company) and sending the whole bike back would be a pain in the arse. I'm already waiting on some vouchers as compensation for some other damage to the bike so maybe they can sort something out along with those.

Is it possible to buy a new set of seals easily anywhere?
  • Oz62
    Oz62 Posts: 1
    bugmonkey wrote:
    Thanks, unfortunately I thought that might be the answer.

I'll contact Evans and see what they say, unfortunately I don't live near an Evans shop (the bike was a replacement from my insurance company) and sending the whole bike back would be a pain in the ars*. I'm already waiting on some vouchers as compensation for some other damage to the bike so maybe they can sort something out along with those.

Is it possible to buy a new set of seals easily anywhere?

Did you get sorted out with this? I've had exactly the same problem with my new Kona Caldera - first set were great for 3 weeks then gave up completely. Tried bleeding and were ok for a few days, then rubbish again and pulling back to the bar with no stopping. Sent them back to the shop I got the bike from and 4 weeks later got a new set from Shimano via the shop.

Same again, three weeks later - absolute rubbish. I'm not going through that again (was an internet sale purchase and the shop's 150 miles away) and facing another 3-4 weeks off the bike.

Will ask my LBS to take a look and if necessary will bin these and get some that work for more than a month. Will then be having a word with the seller and Kona, who are fitting these on their bikes.

Not impressed!
  • Exactly same thing happened to me with my M575 front brake that the situation explained in the first post

The Shimano distributor tried to bleed them for three times (really :roll: leaving aside the bleeding I made for myself, with the official kit for this set of brakes) and finally they replace them with a new set

Just used them for a couple of rides so long, but if the issue is back again, I think I'll use a kind of sue/official complaint in available in Spain, they're playing with our safety!