Chain cleaning.

2»

Comments

• Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Ah! It's never occurred to me to use heat to dry a chain for some reason, I guess I'm too used to motorbike chains with orings in.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    I once forgot my chain on the radiator and then 2 hours later I remember it.

hot Hot HOT!!! :lol:
  • blister pus
    blister pus Posts: 5,780
    they do go bloody hot :D

and remember kids!

radiator - preferable

oven - fine, if you must :lol:

microwave - not s' good. :lol:
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    microwave - not s' good. :lol:

That reminds me of when I basically blew one up when I put a metal pan full of apple that needed put in the microwave for an eve's pudding :lol:

I was about 8 though so I was let off :wink:
  • joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    cuz i use Nut Lub cleaning is really easy... for a start hardly anything sticks to it... and secondly, it becomes water soluble and very runny when heated up quite hot, so a good scrub with some hot water and a brush gets it sparkly clean! sometimes a bit of fairly liquid for an extra shiny drivetrain.
    I like bikes and stuff
  • Thread8
    Thread8 Posts: 479
    joshtp/mbukman

How is the Nut Lub going by the way?
    Haro Thread 8
    Please help!

"It's like parkour, on a bike"
  • joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    Thread8 wrote:
    joshtp/mbukman

good, very good. exams means its pretty much sidelined for now... but next week im done with exams, so samples are going off to testers and packaging and marketing is gonna happen.... should be on sale by august...
    I like bikes and stuff
  • Thread8
    Thread8 Posts: 479
    Thread8 wrote:
    joshtp/mbukman

good, very good. exams means its pretty much sidelined for now... but next week im done with exams, so samples are going off to testers and packaging and marketing is gonna happen.... should be on sale by august...

Excellent, I'll have some when it comes out
    Haro Thread 8
    Please help!

"It's like parkour, on a bike"
  • x-isle
    x-isle Posts: 794
    I usually remove and clean the chain with a brush and Muc-Off Chain cleaner. I have the chaintool, but rarely use it as I don't think it does a good a job as manually with a brush.

Then use Purple Extreme, although I've only recently moved from Muc-Off Lube and might go back as it's cleaner than Purple Extreme. After I use the lubricant, I leave for a few minutes before running the chain (by turning the cranks backwards) through a cloth to take the lubricant off the outside of the chain. It's only needed inside the rollers, otherwise it becomes a dirt/dust trap.

If I get home from a wet ride and not able to clean the bike (mostly on evening/night rides), I always remove the chain and place it in a container and completly drench it in Muc-Off Bike Spray to stop it rusting. At the same time, I usually coat the bits on the bike that will develop surface rust, except the disks of course!
    Craig Rogers
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    x-isle wrote:
    I always remove the chain and place it in a container and completly drench it in Muc-Off Bike Spray to stop it rusting. !

That's mainly water! The important thing is that it's bone dry - right down to the pins and rollers....
  • x-isle
    x-isle Posts: 794
    Well of course it's mainly water, but it also drives the water out of the pins and rollers and will stop it rusting overnight.
    Craig Rogers
  • glennpro09
    glennpro09 Posts: 82
    2 two litre milk bottles, one to get the worst off then put it in the next one. You'd be amazed how much is still on the chain and to get the chain out of the milk cartons buy a extending magnet.
    Pour the first milk cartons contents through 2 pieces of bounce into the second container ready for next time
    :lol: That last line makes me look a tight f00ker :lol:
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    That's mainly water!

No it isn't, it's another interchangable oil-teflon-and-solvent-in-a-can.
    Uncompromising extremist