what happened to the big ring?

2»

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    peter413 wrote:

Nope, the mechanism works by giving you the ordinary ring and then an overdrive system that gives you 1.8 (I think its that number :lol: ) revolutions for every revolution of the cranks

Peter on the AM version it's 1.6. :)

BR have just reviewed it.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I personally can't see a reason where i live to have a 42... But it does depend on the trails your ride. Twisty steep technical and rocky then you jsut don't need a 42.
    True. The amount of times you can actually make use of pedalling a mountain bike in a gear that high, off roar, are rare. At least for me, and you it seems.
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    peter413 wrote:

Nope, the mechanism works by giving you the ordinary ring and then an overdrive system that gives you 1.8 (I think its that number :lol: ) revolutions for every revolution of the cranks

Peter on the AM version it's 1.6. :)

BR have just reviewed it.

Thats why I said I think :lol:

And they reviewed it a while back :wink:
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    I personally can't see a reason where i live to have a 42... But it does depend on the trails your ride. Twisty steep technical and rocky then you jsut don't need a 42.
    True. The amount of times you can actually make use of pedalling a mountain bike in a gear that high, off roar, are rare. At least for me, and you it seems.

Indeed Yee, but we have to face the fact some people live in very flat areas, in reading for instance there is some forrestry thats totally flat, and if you want to chunk the miles its all fireroad flat... you can spin big gears here.

but when you approach anything like fun terrain with a slope then you can't and we are extremely fortunate that we are both surounded by it :p
  • joec1
    joec1 Posts: 494
    Have to say round my locals, (cwm afan and this area) I never get into my 44 ring, and keep wishing i had a 36 with a bash :S

Most trails I ride are to steep and twisty to be able to use a 42, and some of the climbs are so steep t22 tooth is essential. and when riding on rocky areas i have had rocks fly up when on the 42 smashing the chain and breaking it.

+1. exactly my feeling about this...
    www.settingascene.com - MTBing in Wilts and the southwest, join up for info and ride details.
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    I got rid of my granny and big ring because i never use them, so it was pointless having them there, simple.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Now that 46T, and even 44T, chainrings are gone from the marketplace, it is a shame b/c mountain bikes are now no longer any good for cross use-- you'll never be able to reach the same top speeds as before.
    :cry:

44T is hardly gone from the market, it's still the MTB standard.
    Indeed Yee, but we have to face the fact some people live in very flat areas, in reading for instance there is some forrestry thats totally flat, and if you want to chunk the miles its all fireroad flat... you can spin big gears here.

Even up here in a proper country there are still flat bits, can't say I ever feel the urge to spin anything higher than 36/11 except on the road bike.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    Northwind wrote:
    Even up here in a proper country there are still flat bits, can't say I ever feel the urge to spin anything higher than 36/11 except on the road bike.

Same here, I get on fine with a 34t even on the road, just spin a VERY high cadence ocassionally :lol:

I will be going 36t next but no bigger untill I get a DH bike which will have a 38t

If I need to go quicker, tuck :lol: