limits of a 140mm trail bike?

2»

Comments

• Don't feel any limitation on the P7 atm... even though ive jsut found out its actually 130mm!!

in comparison to the NS (which was running 160mm) I don't feel like i've lost any trail downward fun/strength, but I have gained an easier/more comfortable day in/day out bike.
  • richg1979
    richg1979 Posts: 1,087
    Yes landing both wheels at the same time and taking the force with legs, its not as if there big drops or hucks, mearly 1-2ft trail drops and jumps.
  • When you say landing flat, do you mean landing both wheels at the same time?
    I'm not suggesting that the kind of drops you say you're riding should damage a bike even when flat landing, but pushing the rear wheel down first, and absorbing the impact iwth your legs is far gentler on teh frame - unless you're landing on a transition.

+1
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Black wrote:
    LOL NORTHWIND Can I reccomened a KIT KAT :wink:

Even for you Grantway that's pretty incoherent :lol:
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I think it's referring to "Have a break, have a kit kat"
  • Northwind
    Which just leaves me wondering why he's saying it to me, since I've not broken a bike frame since 1991 :lol:
    Uncompromising extremist
  • captainfly
    captainfly Posts: 1,001
    Build up a Mythic Morphine as burly as you can they try and break that :wink:

Seriously though my teocali handles three foot drops fine (apart from occasinaly throwing off it's chain :cry: and serious pedal bob with the sag set up for drops but the marz rocco lo should sort that) I'd say keep off the saddle, land properly and set up the bike to handle drops rather than go as fast as possible think lower tyre and shock pressures etc.
    -_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
    Mongoose Teocali
    Giant STP0

Why are MTB economics; spend twice as much as you intended, but only half as much as you wish you could afford? :roll:
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    Northwind wrote:
    Which just leaves me wondering why he's saying it to me, since I've not broken a bike frame since 1991 :lol:

Actually I'm blaming you for breaking my Stumpy's frame since it broke a few weeks after you rode it so:
    Northwind wrote:
    Which just leaves me wondering why he's saying it to me, since I've not broken a bike frame since 2010 :lol:

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
  • Northwind
    That doesn't seem entirely reasonable :lol:
    Uncompromising extremist
  • peter413
    Northwind wrote:
    That doesn't seem entirely reasonable :lol:

Neither are you :wink:
  • Anonymous
    captainfly wrote:

Seriously though my teocali handles three foot drops fine (apart from occasinaly throwing off it's chain :cry: and serious pedal bob with the sag set up for drops but the marz rocco lo should sort that) I'd say keep off the saddle, land properly and set up the bike to handle drops rather than go as fast as possible think lower tyre and shock pressures etc.
    I can;t quite see how a Roco is going to sort pedal bob out. It doesn't have a platform damping system does it?
  • captainfly
    captainfly wrote:

I can;t quite see how a Roco is going to sort pedal bob out. It doesn't have a platform damping system does it?

Lock out on the climbs as that is where I notice the bob, apparantly it's my pedaling technique that is the issue :roll: , Plus high volume can and more linear spring rate compared to the epicon I currently run means in theory it isn't going to ramp up so much so I can get decent travel with a higher compression threshold.
    Mongoose Teocali
    Giant STP0

Why are MTB economics; spend twice as much as you intended, but only half as much as you wish you could afford? :roll:
  • Anonymous
    Oh, I didn't know the roco had lockout. I haven't looked at them in years, and back then they were kind of a freeriding shock, with no platform damping or lockout.
    I tried to find one in the right size everywhere, but my search turned up a blank, so I opted for a Fox DHX5 instead.

Careful with the more linear travel though. You might find that your frame was designed with a progressive shock in mind, meaning it could lead to blowing through all your travel far too easily.
  • captainfly
    The Roco lo has lockout, seeing as the teocali super has the RS monarch 4.2 HV and have heard good performance reports of air DHX# in teocalis. I think the frame is more suited to linear travel, it was a high volume shock with lock out I was after so I can get to the good bits of gravity assist on tarmac/fireroads/tracks without getting knackered, Isn't that what all mountain and trails riding is about? :wink:

It is the getting there on your bike rather than having to be shuttled there, it is the compromise of weight and burl, plushness and rigidity and not getting too beaten up. If you keep breaking 140mm trail bikes move up to 150/160mm all mountain to freeride bikes. I found sessioning on a stiff little hardtail made me a much lighter rider with loads more bike skills and far better line judgement.
    Mongoose Teocali
    Giant STP0

• Noclue
    Noclue Posts: 503
    First off i'm no expert but, imo manafactureres are simply making some frames to light and rely on people buying them as more of a reaction to fashion and not riding them to there full potential, when people do ride them to the limits of there design and you do happen to be a heavier rider and it snaps, it's probably a fairly small percentage of over all sales and they're happy to replace under the warranty.
    My current ride is a 2006 Kona Dawg primo (only the frame) and is heavy by modern 130mm travel bikes but it feels damned solid and i don't ever worry about giving it a hard time. I'm 15st btw.
  • Both my self and one of my friend ride orange patriots. I have a Fox DHX and he has a Rock Shox VIVID. Now you would think the Fox with Pro Pedal would bob less but the VIVID damps immediately where as the DHX has a few mill of slop while the internals sort things out. The resulting unexpected effect is the VIVID with no platform pedals substantially better then the DHX :shock:
  • podgeorge
    podgeorge Posts: 188
    Oh dear, im doing 4/5 foot jumps and 3/4 foot drops all the time on my Crush! I also seem to have this problem where i ride aggresively and as fast as i can, or not at all! :roll:
    I have broken the plastic in BB already, and the wheels are still true, should i be taking it easier on my crush????!!!!!!!!???? :?
    Cheers
  • thebikechain
    thebikechain Posts: 136
    First off i'm no expert but, imo manafactureres are simply making some frames to light and rely on people buying them as more of a reaction to fashion and not riding them to there full potential,

This is not the case at all.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    As we know travel doesn't always dictate toughness - these tags we give bikes are only general guidelines. Certainly some stronger shorter travel bikes than longer travel xc bikes.
  • JamesBrckmn
    JamesBrckmn Posts: 1,360
    supersonic is very right, as usual. dirt jump bikes only have 80 or 100mm of suspension, yet are strong enough to cope with with bigger jumps than most xc/trail bikes with 120 or 140mm of suspension
  • dan shard
    dan shard Posts: 722
    Ive done cannoch monkey on my cube AMS with only 100mm travel and rode it quite hard, also done llandegla black loads of times inc and the pump tracks and never had a problem. Then again I only weigh 11.5st so probably something to do with that
  • thel33ter
    thel33ter Posts: 2,684
    Another benefit of being 8-9 stone, its hard to break stuff :wink:

I do whatever comes up infront of me on the trails around Surrey Hills where I ride and my Kona eats it up, drops, jumps, whatever, only untrued my wheels a bit (touch wood)

Even so, I will probably get a lightish 140mm or so bike next, something like a Zesty/Orange 5 cause I do worry about the eggshell thin tubes cracking.
    And now you know, and knowing is half the battle
    05 Spesh Enduro Expert
    05 Trek 1000 Custom build
    Speedily Singular Thingy
  • FIow
    FIow Posts: 7
    Didn't most Trek EX's of that year break like this one?

DSC00102.jpg

If so, your lucky it lasted as long as it did.
  • peter413
    thel33ter wrote:
    Kona...I do worry about the eggshell thin tubes cracking.

On a Kona, not likely to have eggshell thin tubes since they weigh a tonne :wink: