brake pipe weight????

richg1979
richg1979 Posts: 1,087
edited June 2010 in MTB general
has anyone weighed braided hose and std nylon hose?

i fitted some new braided brake pipes to a bike the other day and i couldnt belive the diffrence in weight, the 3m roll of braided hose must of weighed 2lb where as the std hose that came off that still had fluid in weighed almost nothing.

Comments

• peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
  • richg1979
    well erm yes :?
  • lol so what you getting at?!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    edited June 2010
    And the standard ones are kevlar. Steel braided hoses are just a massive bag of fail, for the excessively fashionable, really.

[Edited, thank you Nick]
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    and most OE hoses are already kevlar braided. :wink:
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Anonymous
    sprry that's what I meant. the NON braided ones are kevlar. I've got a hangover, excuse my nonsense!
  • richg1979
    Im getting at weight diffrence, im not botherd about a few gram hear and there but there felt a lot of weight in the braided lines for just a bit of bling.

anyone got a spare 2m of each and some scales? :D
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    sprry that's what I meant. the NON braided ones are kevlar. I've got a hangover, excuse my nonsense!

no kevlar can be braided as well.

Most OE have a kevlar braid under the black outer.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Anonymous
    Ah, Nick. You know what I mean. I was hungover, give me a brake (see what I did there? :lol: )

The standard black cabled are kevlar braided, the "goodridge" and the type are steel braided.

Well, at least I knew what I meant. :oops: