On One 456 (Upgraded Hardrock Sport 09) FINISHED

mbro12
mbro12 Posts: 42
edited July 2010 in Your mountain bikes
Im in the progress of upgrading my Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 2009 which I got second hand, barely used from a friend for £200 (Bargain!).

After a hammering the other week and my first time doing biking, I realised this is something I really want to get into. Did alot of research and decided the abysmal forks on the Hardrock needed to go, however, the frame was holding this back. After trawling forums and sites I decided to pluck for a On One 456 Chocolate Brown 18" Frame.
Another thing which cropped up from the ride was how often my feet kept slipping off the thin pedals, and so I decided new pedals were a must. So, along with the frame, I picked up some Wellgo V12 copy pedals for a snip at £22.

New frame arrived and so I realised I needed a new seatpost, picked a real nice looking Promax Carbon Fibre seatpost for just £23 posted. Lightweight and bling to boot, even nicer in real life than the photos do justice. Aswell as that, a real nice little Hope seat clamp which wasnt cheap at £15.
Finally, I've got some outer cables and inner cables on order so I can get the bike working.
Next on the list is some new Forks, most likely some Rockshox Revelation 426 U-Turns.

All in all so far, Ive layed out just under £300 so far, hard to believe, but Im really enjoying the building and learning how the bike goes together for now. Will get some pictures up once the cables are all sorted.

Frame: On-One 456 Chocolate Brown
Forks: 2010 RockShox Revelation Race Dual Air
Bars: Easton EA70 Monkey Riser
Stem: eXotic Carbon Matrix II
Headset: FSA OEM
Grips: Specialized Enduro

Front Caliper: Avid Juicy 7
Front Disc: Avid 160mm
Rear Caliper: Avid Juicy 7
Rear Disc: Avid 160mm

Shifters: SRAM X-7
Front Mech: Shimano XT
Rear Mech: SRAM X-9
Seat: Specialized XC
Seat Post: Promax Carbon Fibre
Seat Post Clamp: Hope

Chainset: Shimano SLX
Chain: SRAM PC-971
Cassette: SRAM PG-970, 9 Speed
Pedals: Wellgo V12 Copy
Bottom Bracket: Shimano SLX

Rims: Mavic XC-717 Disc
Hub: Shimano XT
Tube: Airwaves MTB
Tire: Maxxis High Roller XC 26x2.1 Wire

Comments

• this_thread_is_useless_without_pics.gif
  • mbro12
    Will get some pictures up soon mate.
    Just ordered myself forks eventually. Been mulling them over for ages and finally plucked for some Rock Shox Revelation Race Dual Air 2010 Forks for £294.
  • alexj2233
    alexj2233 Posts: 381
    Good choice on the forks. I bought some a few weeks ago. They are such a huge step up from crappy suntour, the bike just feels so much better.
  • mbro12
    All fitted. spent close to £600 upgrading the bike, plus the cost of tools. So not cheap at all, about £800 including the old frame/forks which I upgraded it from. But its all part of the fun.
    Will get some pictures taken tommorow on its first ride at Laggan Wolftrax!
  • cat_with_no_tail
    cat_with_no_tail Posts: 12,981
    Need those pics fella!

Be good to see another Poo Brown 456 :lol:
  • mbro12
    Back from Laggan and Im pooped. The bike took the jumps and rough stuff SOOO much better with the longer travel forks, no chicken runs necessary. Much more confidence in the bike. Will get photos ASAP
  • mbro12
    Just purchased a second hand set of Easton EA70 Monkey Riser Bars O/S for just a tenner. There about 45mm wider than the current bars which were a bit too narrow. With that Ive picked up a lovely looking eXotic Carbon Matrix II 90mm Stem for £23.95.

That looks like the lot for now. Wont be doing much more for the time being, spent over £650 so far on upgrading the bike + tools!
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    and yet still no pictures.

FAIL!

+ potato
  • mbro12
    Better late than never. The handlebars and stem arrived last week and I just got round to taking my bike out of my mates car boot from the weekend before lasts riding.
    Bars/Levers may seem at odd angles but was just testing they fitted okay.

DSCF0343.jpg

DSCF0344.jpg

DSCF0345.jpg
  • mbro12
    Just added more stuff, couldnt help myself. :lol:
    An almost brand new Shimano XT Front Mech for £16.75. A set of used Sram X7 9sp Shifters for £30 and an X9 Rear Mech for £20.
    Gonna look at getting a PG970 cassette and possibly a Deore chainset
  • mbro12
    Front Mech, Shifters and Rear Mech arrived in the last 3 days. Will try and get round to fitting the front mech and shifters. All thats left now to do the 9sp upgrade is a crankset (been lookling for a good 2nd hand XT set for a while and cant find any under £60 that dont use crappy BB that arent available anymore) and a cassette which will probably be the SRAM PG970.
    After that, probably sort out my buckled back wheel and look for a set of new wheels, probably some Superstar ones
  • beanfield
    beanfield Posts: 26
    slx chainsets are very good i have one and it works gr8 and they are cheaper than xt
  • Nice frame, but the front brake cable looks a bit short. Can you turn your handlebars ok?
  • joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    nest on the list would be brakes and tyres for me... and cranks. Looks lovely though... bet it rides loverly, those forks are the dogs.
    I like bikes and stuff
  • mbro12
    hardcorerider

The front brake cable is definately long enough, the picture is decieving, if anything I was going to take like an inch off it as it was too long.

joshtp/mbukman

yes mate. just purchased a set of avid juicy sevens off eBay earlier today for £77. Crankwise, looking at the SLX as second hand seems to be a non starter, everyone seems to say, dont risk second hand chainrings. Im basically looking at replacing everything on the bike so I end up with the original Hardrock, im still about £300 off doing the whole lot and Id only get £200 for the Hardrock bike but I may aswell do it and then have a great bike.
  • mbro12
    Well, it is now a whole new bike ready to be put together.
    Ordered the remaining parts to make it a totally new bike and not a modified Specialized Hardrock as I purchased the remaining parts.
    First of all, I was looking at the SLX Crankset at £90 on CRC with a BB included when I stumbled upon the same SLX Chainset and BB on eBay for £75, brand new, bought installed and then removed, never used and £15 saved, result.
    To go with that I purchased a SRAM PG970 Cassette and a PC971 Chain combo from Merlin (buying together saved a couple of quid ;) and finally the last big money spend, a set of Mavic XC717 Rims on XT Hubs with black spokes for £150 on sale.
    I then visited CRC and realised I needed some spare skewers and despite wanting Shimano ones, the cheapest available were some nice looking steel Kore ones for just over a tenner. I then got a pair of Airwave Inner Tubes to go with some new tyres. Had previously been using the Specialized stock tyres which were surprisingly good, but I decided to get a set of 2.2 Continental Mountain Kings as they were well priced at £25 a pair. Finally, a bit of Brake Fluid, a £20 saddle and a cheap £7 OEM headset to stick on the hardrock as the one off the Spesh is currently on the On-One and I cant be arsed getting a fancy Chris King or something expensive like that as I dont see the point, plus, I dont want to be hammering another Headset out of a frame.

So thats it, Im currently soaking up the sun in Florida and will arrive back next wednesday hopefully to a few boxes of goodies. The only thing I need is a Front Derailleur shim for a 31.8 Derailleur to my 28.2 On One Frame.
  • mbro12
    Back off holiday. SLX Crankset arrived and look really nice. Brakes also arrived, in okay nicker but the price was great. And finally, the wheels and cassette arrived this morning, got some pictures.

DSCF0386.jpg
    DSCF0388.jpg
    DSCF0389.jpg
    DSCF0391.jpg
    DSCF0392.jpg
  • mbro12
    Well with everything here except the Tyres and Saddle (changed tyres from Mountain kings to High Roller XCs which delayed the order more than Id like). I decided on Saturday to crack on fitting stuff.
    Got the wheels fitted, Front Brake fitted and working, when trying to get the rear brake smooth, an o-ring popped/split on the calipers bleed nipple so i think I need to get some o-rings and rebuild the rear caliper. Got the rear mech + shifter fitted, front mech and chainset fitted and now just waiting on tyres/saddle/disc rotor mounting bolts. Here's some garage build pictures.

DSCF0396.jpg
    DSCF0397.jpg
    DSCF0398.jpg
    DSCF0399.jpg
    DSCF0401.jpg
    DSCF0404.jpg
  • mbro12
    Got everything else fitted. However, when deiscovering my front mech was a bottom pull, I tried getting it so I could still use it by routing the cable under then over it. Managed to bend the top band on the floor when it was of the bike, tried to bend it back to a curve and managed to snap the band in half!!!!!!!!!!!!! AHHHHH, £17 brand new XT Front mech fucking broken!
  • mbro12
    Well, it's done, the back brake isnt working properly but I think we know the reason. 3 of the 4 reservoir cap screws seized in over the space of 2 days so we had to cut a slot in which looks.... unprofessional but oh well.

Here's the finished product

ononefinished.jpg