Peter Kennaugh

Pross
Pross Posts: 43,229
edited June 2010 in Pro race
What's people's views on Kennaugh after the past few days at the Dauphine? I saw him finish 2nd in the nationals last season and was very impressed by his riding and his attitude (not scared to have a dig at some far more experienced pros who wouldn't chase Kristian House). I've been suprised to see him up there in the mountains (other than today) and he looks to have some promise. Probably too young for this years Tour but it will be good to see him there in a year or two.

Comments

• squired
    squired Posts: 1,153
    He is the one they are talking about for the future. Over the course of the last week he has been pretty consistent. The key question is how he will develop. He appears to be in a good set-up, so I'd imagine that Team Sky will do their best to help him live up to whatever potential he has. As great as it was to seem him doing well, it has also been nice this week to see Geraint Thomas showing more than we've seen from him as a pro so far. I've been quite disappointed with the Brits in Team Sky in 2010, but a few of them have finally started showing something recently (Swift's recent win being a good example).
  • top_bhoy
    top_bhoy Posts: 1,424
    squired wrote:
    He is the one they are talking about for the future. Over the course of the last week he has been pretty consistent. The key question is how he will develop. He appears to be in a good set-up, so I'd imagine that Team Sky will do their best to help him live up to whatever potential he has. As great as it was to seem him doing well, it has also been nice this week to see Geraint Thomas showing more than we've seen from him as a pro so far. I've been quite disappointed with the Brits in Team Sky in 2010, but a few of them have finally started showing something recently (Swift's recent win being a good example).
    Maybe they've had their season targeted on supporting wiggins in july. No need to peak too early.
  • ju5t1n
    ju5t1n Posts: 2,028
    edited June 2010
    I reckon he was (one of/the) the rider(s) Dave Brailsford had in mind when he stated that Sky’s goal was a tour win within 5 years. Still too early to say whether he was right IMHO.

I think all this nonsense with Wiggins is just a dead herring
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,822
    got his brother tim on the way and all... quite an island.
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • Pross
    ju5t1n wrote:
    I reckon he was (one of/the) the rider(s) Dave Brailsford had in mind when he stated that Sky’s goal was a tour win within 5 years. Still too early to say whether he was right IMHO.

I think all this nonsense with Wiggins is just a dead herring

Was thinking the same thing, him and Geraint who is still a youngster which I tend to forget at times. Still a way to go as he struggled a bit today but not surprising when you think how well he did on the Alpe yesterday.
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    He seems on track but look at the others in the race. Romain Sicard's a neo pro, Samoilau and Koren look handy and above all, Van Garderen. Generally if you are going to be the next big thing, you start to show it from day 1, Kennaugh isn't quite there.
  • Pross
    There's some really talented young riders coming through and hopefully it's a new generation who are riding on talent. There's Sagan too and who knows what EBH is capable of and obviously baby Schleck isn't exactly old. Not sure I agree that the next big thing shows it from day 1 though, at that age some people have developed a bit quicker than others.
  • dulldave
    dulldave Posts: 949
    Scottish and British...and a bit French
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Kléber wrote:
    He seems on track but look at the others in the race. Romain Sicard's a neo pro, Samoilau and Koren look handy and above all, Van Garderen. Generally if you are going to be the next big thing, you start to show it from day 1, Kennaugh isn't quite there.

Kennaugh's only 20 though (21 on Tuesday). None of those you mentioned were even pros at that age. He's got a few years on them.

Sicard - 22, Koren -- 23, Samoilau - 24, TVG - 21.
    Twitter: @RichN95