Broken spoke etc - advice please? Off to bike shop tomorrow.

OSOH
OSOH Posts: 153
edited June 2010 in The workshop
Hi, I've just found that the rear wheel on my 15-year-old Raleigh Pioneer is slightly buckled, with a broken spoke, and this must have happened on a 60-mile ride last Sunday (with fully laden panniers, maybe that contributed, or maybe I've just eaten too many chips lately :oops: ). I've ridden it today without problems as I really wanted to get out on a ride, but of course want to get it sorted ASAP, and so am planning a trip to the bike shop tomorrow.

What worries me is that the wheel was trued towards the end of last year, when I bought the bike (very used of course). I noticed on picking the bike up that one spoke was still very slack, and questioned this, but they appeared very put out that I dared question them and as I know nothing about bike repair I let it drop. I'm just wondering whether this could have contributed to the break, or whether it's likely to be unrelated, and just a matter of very old wheel and spokes.

My second question is, due to the age of the bike and how recently (considering the use it's had) that the wheel was trued, would it be better/cheaper simply to replace the wheel? The bike will be lent to a friend later in the year for a week's cycling in Ireland, so I want to make sure it won't have problems again, but I'm also limited by budget and due to some previous adverse experiences I need to make sure I'm not ripped off.

Another query (sorry!) is that the front chainrings(?) are bent, and sideways movement of the pedals will slightly move the whole lot. Any idea please what replacement of this should cost, for triple rings? Trying to work out whether having the bike serviced, back wheel and chainrings sorted will be financially viable, or better off cutting my losses and replacing, but I am very attached to this bike as I find it very comfortable and enjoyable to ride. Also as mentioned I want to make sure any price quoted by the bike shop is fair, as I'm in the country (West Sussex) and limited for comparisons.

Thanks for reading, if you've had the patience to make it this far! Apologies for my ignorance on the subject :oops:
It may seem there's light at the end of the tunnel, but it's actually an oncoming train.

Comments

• OSOH
    Just to add, the bent chainrings have been like that for a while, and were pointed out to me last time the bike had work done at a bike shop, but didn't seem to be an imminent problem - not so bad that chain is rubbing except when at an angle, but nothing further he could do to improve it. Also wondering what the worst-case scenario would be of continuing to ride it like this, if replacement proves too costly, obviously I don't want to end up with a useless lump of metal miles from anywhere but wondered whether further problems would be likely to be gradual and detectable, or sudden and catastrophic! Why does everything expensive have to go wrong at once? :(
    It may seem there's light at the end of the tunnel, but it's actually an oncoming train.
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    All spokes should have roughly the same tension, so a slack spoke certainly won't have helped. As for the bike shop's attitude, I don't think I'd be impressed; you're allowed to question anything you like really. Where was it? I know a couple that have been very good in Sussex.

How old are the wheels? I've found I tend to destroy wheels, and I'm paranoid about rims crackings, so I'd be strongly inclined to replace them if they're an unknown. You can get perfectly serviceable wheelsets for ~120 GBP.

As for the chainrings, well, it sounds like your bottom bracket might be on the way out. Grab the crank and wiggle it. It shouldn't move much, if at all. Make sure you're not wiggling the pedals, though. If your chainrings are actually bent, then I'd reckon you've got nothing to lose by trying to bend them back... make sure they're actually bent before you try it, though.

Bicycletutor is really very good for the bottom bracket thing and the wheels, IIRC
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • OSOH
    Hi, thanks for your reply. The bike shop (Overbury's) was actually in Bristol, when I lived there; not yet sure which I'll be going to tomorrow, either one in Chichester which has been recommended, not sure of name but near hospital, or Cyclelife in Petersfield who were pretty helpful a couple of weeks back.

The whole crank has some sideways play in it, and the last time it was taken to a bike shop the mechanic actually did some bending apparently, but couldn't do any more, maybe that was why if the bottom bracket was on its way out. Looks like the lot may need to be replaced then... :(

I think the wheels are the originals, so about 15+ years old (Raleigh Pioneer Quest). :shock: at the price of wheelsets haha, the bike was only £10!! I saw this rear wheel on ebay which seemed OK on a low budget, any idea please on whether it is likely to be suitable?
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110512033345&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

I know it sounds cheapskate, and I know I'll get what I pay for, I'm just very limited for budget and reluctant to spend a huge amount on a bike of this age, then find something else goes and I have a wreck with decent parts. The main thing is having it serviceable for a week's holiday, not excessive distances, as it will be used by a friend; after that it'd be quite nice to have a go at fixing things myself, learn a bit more, but don't really want to do that when someone else is going to be using it!

Thanks for your advice, wish now that I'd made more of a fuss over the slack spoke, but too late now; I'll never know I suppose how much of a part it may have played in this spoke breaking. The annoying thing is that, though I can't afford a huge amount, I don't want to cut my losses and run as a) the bike is so nice to ride, and b) my reasoning is that any secondhand bike within my budget is bound to have faults, at least with this one I know mostly what those faults are. I also have a Carrera Vanquish bought used for a lot more than the Pioneer, and that also needs money spending on it to bring it up to scratch, admittedly still a lot less than a new bike but makes me wary about getting rid and buying something else.

Thanks again for your suggestions, will see what the bike shop have to say tomorrow then, and what kind of cost I'll be looking at. Also thinking of a bike shop in North Wales I know, the owner often has new parts floating around for older bikes, will be up there next weekend so may be able to see if replacement parts any cheaper there.
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    Ok, if the BB has been looked at by an LBS I'd think they'd tell you if was dying, so hopefully it's ok.

Fair enough with the cost thing, I don't really know the best way of getting parts that cheap, I'm afraid. The only thing I would say is: check the rims (the braking surface) of your wheels -- if they're really dished or thin they're probably worn, and that could be really very bad indeed.

I might not be the best guy to help here, so good luck with your search. I'm nipping into Chi tomorrow so I see if I can find that LBS
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • OSOH
    Hi, thanks for your reply. Would be fantastic thanks if you spot the shop on your travels, I basically asked someone on a bike in Chichester today whether he could recommend anywhere, and he mentioned a place near the A&E bit of the hospital, no idea on name unfortunately and trying to be clever with Google Maps and Yell.com hasn't yielded any results.

The bike was looked at several months back, hadn't noticed the play in the cranks but then I hadn't looked, so not sure what the situation will be. I can but ask! The wheels themselves seem fairly solid, it's just the fact that the spoke has gone, and the wheel buckled a second time, I'm thinking maybe better safe than sorry.

As for the bike being looked at previously, I'm not sure how much of a check was made on the bike as it only went in for new gear shifters and a pannier rack, he just happened to notice the chainrings were bent and did the best he could to straighten. It was several months ago now, so not sure whether it could have got worse in the meantime, or caused further problems with the bottom bracket; I'm a bit hopeless at interpreting what I'm told! Just trying to get an idea of what's involved assuming worst-case scenario, as is normally the case with me.

Thanks again for help and advice, it's much appreciated, really want to get these bikes sorted so I actually have a choice of 2 working bikes instead of choosing which is likely to cause least problems!!
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The wheels need to fit your frame if you get new ones.

I am guessing it uses a screw on freewheel.

Measure the distance between the dropouts of your frame.
  • OSOH
    Ah right, thanks. Not sure on the freewheel, but the bike shop I dumped it with today sounded encouraging about the ebay-wheel idea, so may be able to get details and ask them about fit. Bike mechanic not there today so left both bikes, they're going to give me a ring tomorrow with quotes/suggestions. No bikes now for 2 weeks :cry: as I won't have chance to collect them, mind you may pick up my ancient mountain bike from Wales next weekend, would be better than nothing!

Apparently looks like the bottom bracket may need replacing :( though they're going to try just tightening it, will let me know tomorrow via phone before doing anything.

Bottom bracket apparently £20 to replace on its own :shock: does this sound right? They seemed pretty helpful and knowledgeable, so just hope a relatively inexpensive solution can be found.

Thanks again for advice :)
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    £20 for the BB is about right, they can be had a little cheaper, but then you would need to fit it....

As for the wheel, diameter and axle width and type (alomst certainly 10mm at that age) and start looking.....

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • OSOH
    Thanks for your comments, good to know that sounds about normal. I was supposed to get a call from them today with a quote before doing any work, not heard anything, whoops - hoping that just means they've been busy and low-priorotised me as they know I won't be able to collect for 2 weeks :/

Will see what they say, sounded as though I could just keep on using it without severe problems even if bottom bracket does need replacing...may be the best option for now, will have to see how it goes costwise. I wouldn't mind attempting some fitting myself as a learning experience, but I'm under the impression the bottom bracket really isn't the best thing to attempt, and I'm also reluctant as someone else will be using the bike.

That's a help on the wheels as well, will get bike shop to confirm size as they currently have both bikes. Can always ask the ebay seller about axle width, if correct seems that may be the cheapest option, then maybe save up for something better!
  • OSOH
    Thanks for all suggestions, just to update, the lot has now been done for what seems a reasonable price, so looking forward to getting back on the bikes!! Even got a full service on the Pioneer at the same time, at least now I know it's safe for other people to ride. Been so annoying not having a bike with the wonderful weather lately!

With it fixed, I may look at saving up for replacement wheels for the Pioneer in future, definitely worth a thought if I'm likely to have repeat buckling. Although I think the best upgrade for that bike would be filling the frame with helium to reduce some of the weight ;) but it's sooo comfy :)

Thanks again for all suggestions.