Shopping List

mnid1977
mnid1977 Posts: 13
edited June 2010 in Commuting chat
I've finally got through my letter of collection for my Bike...(I'd have gone to Halfords today but been bad with lower back pain all week :cry: )

Anyway due to my size I've decided to opt for the Boardman Mountain Bike Comp which is £700 and put some nice big slicks on it (I think its a confidence thing..) which should cost me an extra £50 ish therefore what do I spend the last £200 on??

I know I'll need a good lock and helmet which together will probably be £100+ and with the remainder will try and get most of the list below but is there anything I'm missing ??

Lights, Care Plan, Mudguards, Tool Kit, Track Pump, Bar ends, Extra Inner tubes & Gloves.

Regards

DH
Commuting on a Boardman MTB Comp with slicks.....

23st 1lb and shrinking.....

Pic 1

Pic 2

Comments

• tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,358
    mnid1977 wrote:
    Lights, Care Plan, Mudguards, Tool Kit, Track Pump, Bar ends, Extra Inner tubes & Gloves

In order

Yes, do a forum search on 'what lights' for recommendations. Don't buy the Bike Hut range. Mine stopped working after about 50 miles.

Hell no

Yes, Mr Crud for mountain bikes are a good bet (cant remember the brand name maybe CrudCatcher)

No, gather stuff up as you go (exceptions are allen keys, tyre levers and a pump, you'll need them from day 1), if your halfords have Park tools invest in them.

Useful, but not essential, it'll wait

Again useful, but not essential, certainly makes the ride more comfortable

You'll need two spare inner tubes from day one, though hopefully you'll not need them...do a search on 'ITB' and 'Puncture Fairy'

Gloves are IMHO essential. Don't buy the basic range (£12 i think) from Halfords as the p1ss dye over your hands

How far you going to be riding - proper cycling shorts are a god send and you may want to invest in a Hi Viz gilet/ jacket (do a search on Hi Viz -tis a suprisingly controversial topic)
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Definately lights, pump and mudguards - you'll be grateful for them when winter comes :wink: