Halfords - AAAAGGGHHHH!

rowlers
rowlers Posts: 1,614
edited August 2010 in MTB general
Reserved a Carbon Tean road bike this morning.
Tried to phone to make sure they had it ready to collect, but couldn't get through.
Drives the 40 mile to the store only to be told they couldn't sell me it because it had no back wheel!
I'm now out of pocket becase halfords are a complete bunch of incompetant t0$$ers!
FFS!
if your reading this Mr Boardman, please find another outlet for your bikes, halfords are a joke!!!

Comments

• Oxygen Thief
    Oxygen Thief Posts: 649
    I'm not being funny but driving 40miles without confirmation is a bit dumb in my eyes.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Did you get some confirmation of any sort before you set off? I think the online reserve when you have all these stores is a pretty poor system really.
  • rowlers
    Did try to phone, but couldn't get through, new it would be a risk, but even so....

Thats my lot with Halfords, Ribble here I come!
  • Splottboy
    Splottboy Posts: 3,695
    Waited for about 15 mins in Halfords in the upstairs bike section, to ask some tech questions about a new GT Zaskar. No one appeared.

Guy came in after me waited about 5mins, took his purchase to the ground floor, car section, wasn't pleased.

About 12 staff on ground floor, not one in the bike section, which is the same size.
    Are they total tools, as they lost a possible GT sale to me, worth about a grand.
  • Oxygen Thief
    Oxygen Thief Posts: 649
    Oh they're fucking retarded allright. I was waiting for a good 20minutes while he was showing some couple and their little annoying kid aroudn some little bikes, prob retailing for about £70. But the kid had to drive from one bike to the next to try it out in his little shitty toy car that he'd brought in with him (parents piss me off aye, they're taking him to buy a bike, leave the fucking toy in the car!) and on route jump in the tents. There's a fair few ni the queue by now and this guy is persistent on getting this sale worth not what he'd be getting out of the people in the queue! I know their customer's and equal, but at the end of the day they're not really. Plus, they left without buying anything. Ratarded!
  • hyperman
    hyperman Posts: 232
    i don't get it...everyone complains about halfords cycle departments but yet people still shop there? is everyone stupid? why don't you try and support a local independant bike shop instead of giving your money to a multinational that quite clearly doesn't care about customer service....
  • Louis84
    Louis84 Posts: 135
    haha I love the way common sense and patience flies out the window when you know your about to get a new bike. That little brat! I bet you wished he was DEAD
  • snotty badger
    snotty badger Posts: 1,593
    Louis84 wrote:
    haha I love the way common sense and patience flies out the window when you know your about to get a new bike. That little brat! I bet you wished he was DEAD

Fuck me- thats a bit harsh! :shock:
    08 Pitch Pro
    14 Kona Unit
    Kona Kula SS
    Trailstar SS
    94 Univega Alpina 5.3
  • supersonic
    new it would be a risk

I think that sums it up lol. The computer may know the total stock level. Unfortunately only the shop knows the condition which is why I would have never set off until I knew.
  • rowlers
    edited June 2010
    supersonic wrote:
    new it would be a risk

I think that sums it up lol. The computer may know the total stock level. Unfortunately only the shop knows the condition which is why I would have never set off until I knew.
    Hindsight is a wonderfull thing tho eh, me puts too much faith in computers!

Anyways order this:

seribblegranfondocam1zo.jpg

Full carbon, Campy Centaur Carbon group set. Wheels are its weekspot, but thye can soon be upgrade (ooooohhh hear we go, havn't even got it yet and I'm talking upgades already :lol::lol::lol: )
  • Matt the Tester
    Matt the Tester Posts: 1,261
    how much is that lovely bike mate?
    Coveryourcar.co.uk RT Tester
    north west of england.
  • rowlers
    the build I specced comes in at £1200ish.

Looks far more expensive eh!!!
  • projectsome
    projectsome Posts: 4,478
    hyperman wrote:
    i don't get it...everyone complains about halfords cycle departments but yet people still shop there? is everyone stupid? why don't you try and support a local independant bike shop instead of giving your money to a multinational that quite clearly doesn't care about customer service....

I don't use my LBS because it is actually Halfords!!!! :roll:
    FARKBOOK TWATTER Happiness is my fucking mood!
  • Gwaredd
    Gwaredd Posts: 251
    Ratarded!

Oh brilliant irony! :lol:
  • captainfly
    captainfly Posts: 1,001
    Splottboy wrote:
    Waited for about 15 mins in Halfords in the upstairs bike section, to ask some tech questions about a new GT Zaskar. No one appeared.

Guy came in after me waited about 5mins, took his purchase to the ground floor, car section, wasn't pleased.

About 12 staff on ground floor, not one in the bike section, which is the same size.
    Are they total tools, as they lost a possible GT sale to me, worth about a grand.

If you want sales attention just set off an alam, find something expensive with a secuity wire and give it a yank, or pull bikes off the stands and start popping wheeies and trials moves, the staff are still clueless but at least they are there, actually that is unfair there is aone pretty reasonable halfords I can use the other four locally are pretty rubbish.
    -_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
    Mongoose Teocali
    Giant STP0

Why are MTB economics; spend twice as much as you intended, but only half as much as you wish you could afford? :roll:
  • Matt the Tester
    Matt the Tester Posts: 1,261
    rowlers wrote:
    the build I specced comes in at £1200ish.

Looks far more expensive eh!!!
    yea! i might get one :) i would get alot of people jealous in my cycling club :D
    Coveryourcar.co.uk RT Tester
    north west of england.
  • some of the halfords are incompetent i wont disagree with that, but some of them are just understaffed, the one i work in ( im prepared for a barrage of hate for saying that) about 4 of the staff on bikes are proper bikers, but for the whole place there are about 9 people who work on bikes and know about them, and we obv cant be in the shop all the time. and as for the phones, if there is 1 member of staff on bikes and he is serving, what do you expect us to do? deal with a customer and answer the phone, its not physically possible. i know its a shitty situation but thats just the way it is. and we do have to serve everyone for as long as they need, because that is also just the way it is (and we arent psycic, you could want a £1700 kona dawg, u could want a 2.99 brake cable). anyways, if you dont like it, dont come in, if noone shops at halfords eventually we will change everywhere, which would be good for everyone :) and if u fancy coming into a halfords where if u manage to get to speak to a member of staff, youve got about 50/50 chance of getting some1 in the know, come into norwich :D
  • hounslow
    hounslow Posts: 153
    supersonic wrote:
    new it would be a risk

the computer knows the supposed stock level. whether the bike is instore or not can vary. it SHOULD be, otherwise it SHOULDNT let you reserve it, but i have seen instances where people reserve 2 of one bike when the system states we only have one and there is the occasional time when the bike just doesn't come on delivery, the delivery booked in and the bike added to the stockfile.
    obviously if the store in question only had one bike and it was missing parts, it should have been removed from stockfile before you reserved or they should have rung to let you know.
  • it should be, but stock file alterations are rare (normally happen once a year) if its the last one, it wont let you reserve it either, because the system assumes this is the display model. its an odd system, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesnt. this is why whenever i get an order i always go and find the bike, just saves this kinda problem, but not all the staff do this, or not all customers want it doing, cause it can take a while to find the bikes. yeah halfords shoulda rung you to tell you it wasnt in, but theres nothing to say they didnt try and no answer (this has happen to me a few times) and no answer machine, and its rare that i get enough free time that i can keep ringing over and over till i get an answer.
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    Gwaredd wrote:
    Ratarded!

Oh brilliant irony! :lol:

Im guessing and hoping that he ment to spell it that way as he may say it in that particular way.
  • tptvmbircn
    tptvmbircn Posts: 782
    I just never shop there, end of.
  • Serves you right for buying a road bike!

Halfords did fail with my Dad's reserve and collect though... tried to fob him off with a demo model that was knakkered!
  • supersonic
    Again shows the failing of this system when only the shop knows what the stock condition is.
  • Yup...ended up paying a tenner more to get it delivered in a box. Had the bike set up and rolling in about 20-30 mins.... and guess what, took my Dad out for his 1st ride today and nothing failed :lol:
  • biff55
    biff55 Posts: 1,404
    bigbenj_08 wrote:
    Yup...ended up paying a tenner more to get it delivered in a box. Had the bike set up and rolling in about 20-30 mins.... and guess what, took my Dad out for his 1st ride today and nothing failed :lol:

why do you have to pay more for assembling it yourself ?
    feck , thats a great deal :lol:
    not.
  • Delivery.... :roll:
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,761
    hyperman wrote:
    Bottom line is that they stock some brands you can't buy new anywhere else. You want a Boardman? You have to buy it from Halfords, they have an exclusive distribution deal :(
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • captainfly
    captainfly Posts: 1,001
    biff55 wrote:
    bigbenj_08 wrote:
    Yup...ended up paying a tenner more to get it delivered in a box. Had the bike set up and rolling in about 20-30 mins.... and guess what, took my Dad out for his 1st ride today and nothing failed :lol:

why do you have to pay more for assembling it yourself ?
    feck , thats a great deal :lol:
    not.

Stopping the the muppets at most halfords touching you new bike has to be worth a tenner :wink: Unless you like your forks fitted the wrong way and youe chain WD40d
    -_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
    Mongoose Teocali
    Giant STP0

Why are MTB economics; spend twice as much as you intended, but only half as much as you wish you could afford? :roll:
  • Does anyone know what happens if I don't pick up a bike I have reserved at Halfords.
    I have reserved to pick up tomorrow (built by them), they say they keep it until Tuesday night. Payment is on collection. After reading comments on here and elsewhere I have changed my mind about this bike. What happens if I just don't turn up? They don't have my card details or anything so they can't bill me....but, will they pester me or will they just send it back to warehouse and leave it at that?
  • supersonic
    The world will end and the bats will come and get ya.

Nowt, they will put it back on sale, and you willl lose any deposit.

What bike was it?