Is selling it on a silly idea?

jonny_trousers
jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
edited June 2010 in Commuting chat
Hi all,

So, at the beginning of this week I decided to sell on a lovely Reynolds 853 Ribble I bought on a whim simply because, at 56cm, it is too big a frame for me and I feel over-stretched when riding it. I stuck it on Ebay in the hope of selling it at not too great a loss, but the bids have remained pretty low and having just red a glowing review of Campagnolo parts, I am wondering if I should pull the add, buy a frame that fits me better and then build it up with the groupset from the Ribble. Another part of me thinks I should just get rid, keep enjoying my Fuji Track for the commute and keep my eyes peeled for a decent road bike when prices drop come the autumn (they do drop don't they?).

I would really value the opinion of those of you in the know.

Comments

• tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,358
    Firstly EBAY bidding all happens in the last couple of mibutes/ seconds don't panic

Secondly did you list the bike properly...if it has horizontal drop outs did you include the words REYNOLDS, 853, FIXED, FIXIE and SINGLE SPEED in your title. That gets the crazy bids

Thirdly is there a brand name on the frame? Might be worth including

What to do now?

Pull the ad
    Strip the frame of all reusable components
    Relist the frame under the guidelines above, the frame will sell for more than a Ribble Winter Trainer frame will cost you.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • jonny_trousers
    Thanks Tailwind.

I think I listed it properly (I did get the Reynolds 853 in and it is road/audax bike and not a fixie/ss) and I suspect you are right with regard to serious bidding happening in the last few minutes. I set it to end on a Sunday (tomorrow) as a friend advised me to.

I'm simply wondering if the parts alone are worth more than I will get for it.

Some useful advice for me to think on

Apart from anything, can you pull an Ebay auction once bids have been made?
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,358
    it's at £185 with a day to go!

how much are you expecting to achieve?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • jonny_trousers
    it's at £185 with a day to go!

how much are you expecting to achieve?

Okay, fair play, I'll let the auction run.

Ideally I would like to break even on what I paid for the bike, but I guess I can stomach a bit of a loss if necessary and will put it down to a lesson learnt: 54cm frames only for me.

Thanks for your thoughts.