Cycle Insurance when im at Uni

submityournentries
submityournentries Posts: 912
edited June 2010 in MTB general
hey guys, i am just looking into getting theft cover for my bike for when i am at university. i am at uni in london, but my family home (and therefore house insurance policy) is norwich based. does anyone know if my bike will be covered under this policy? (its M & S and is definately covered whilst its in norwich) or whether i need to take out an individual policy, and accordingly, are there any reccomendations of companies who i should look at?
i got a cyclegaurd quote for £160 per year for my london address
and i got an ETA quote for £120 for same address

cheers guys :)

Comments

• bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    I found out that as long as I went home once every 90 days my possesions were covered under my home 'home insurance' so I didn't need any more when I was away at uni.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • did you have to take the bike home? or literally you just had to go home that often?
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    I wasn't into biking then :wink:
    But in terms of laptop/mp3 player/phone etc, I was covered. I think I had to stay at home, but once every 90 days (don't know how they'd prove it :wink:) is near enough once a term, so not exactly a big ask!

Read the small print, or ring up your current insurers though.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Mine is covered under the same terms that bails87 describes.
  • GHill
    GHill Posts: 2,402
    Best to speak to the provider and find out.
  • Depending on how much the bike is worth my brothers got £1000 insurance cover for whathever gets kincked. i.e. if your bike is £1000 and thats only thing that gets knicked your covered but if your 1k bike and £500 laptop get knicked you are only covreed for the £1000. I think thats about £120 a year or something.

I think there are couple packages similar to this but to be honest i think you'd be better off getting bike insurance as if it gets knicked in the city i dont know whther thered be complications with the insurance on whether you were at uni if you get me.
    Giant XTC SE 2006
    Cube LTD Race 2009
    Trek Fuel EX 9