Picking up a new bike - what to do first

s-j-cooper
s-j-cooper Posts: 43
edited June 2010 in MTB beginners
Hello!

My cyclescheme voucher arrived this morning (the longest four weeks of my life), so I'm going to pick up my Rockhopper first thing in the morning.

It's the first proper mountain bike I've had and I was wondering if there were any checks I should do when I collect it - it is a good bike shop supplying it, so I'm sure they've done a decent job of putting it together.

Also, is there anything I should be prepared for/ expect to happen during my first few rides? Such as time for brakes to bed in etc?

I can't wait to get it!

Thanks in advance,

Steve

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Parts do take time to bed in - you will notice even after a ride that the gears may have become a little sloppy, but this is normal as the cables 'stretch'. Alsways a good idea to do preride chaecks to make sure the importants bits are tight.

To bed in brakes a few hard stops is general required.

Most shops offer e free tune up service after a few weeks anyway.
  • underdog
    underdog Posts: 292
    s-j-cooper wrote:

Also, is there anything I should be prepared for/ expect to happen during my first few rides?

Arse pain, quite severe arse pain :lol: but don't worry it will go in the end, so enjoy.
  • Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    s-j-cooper wrote:
    is there anything I should be prepared for/ expect to happen during my first few rides?
    You may notice a huge grin creeping across your face as you blast down the trails :D

Also as mentioned earlier check your bike over yourself to familiarise yourself with it & to make double sure things are as tight as they should be.

If you're unsure of anything just ask the shop to show you how it works or how tight it should be etc...

Brakes take a little while to bed in, a few good hard stops from speed will help the process. Avoid getting any grease or oil on the rotors!

If you have to take the wheels out remember do not pull the brake lever, you may pop a piston out!

Take advantage of the free tune up service the shop should offer
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • Slamdunkin
    Slamdunkin Posts: 355
    Don't know if you are already aware of this, but you shouldn't use all the gears.

only use....

front little ring and the four largest cogs on back
    front middle and all back cogs
    front large and four smallest on back.

Have a look here for a better explanation

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... t=12647117
  • s-j-cooper
    s-j-cooper Posts: 43
    Great advice - thanks.

I've just picked it up and it's looking great in my kitchen. Unfortunately I'm looking after my son all day today, so I'm not going to be able to go out for a ride any time soon - maybe after the England game.

I've had a play about with the seat height etc, but I've noticed that when I press the rear brakes, the wheel can still spin through it if I push hard enough. This doesn't seem to happen at the front. Is this part of the bedding in process, or does the brake need adjusting?

I've got theTektro Auriga Pro manual, but it doesn't seem to explain how to adjust the brakes - only how to install them, change the pads and bleed them.

Has anyone got any advice - I don't want to mess anything up!
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Yes, they will have to bed in with the hard stops method as above.

You can adust lever reach via a small screw on the lever.

http://www.tektro.com/02products/01auigapro.php
  • rusty656
    rusty656 Posts: 44
    Ive had my Rockhopper for 12 months now also through the cyclescheme, agree with everything said so far

I did get gear slippage after a couple of months and made full use of the free checkup which instantly fixed this, the gear cable had just stretched a bit.

Keep it clean especially the drive train and it should be hassle free riding

Enjoy !!
  • Red Route
    Red Route Posts: 59
    Slamdunkin wrote:
    Don't know if you are already aware of this, but you shouldn't use all the gears.

only use....

front little ring and the four largest cogs on back
    front middle and all back cogs
    front large and four smallest on back.

What if happens if you do use all the gears?
    Also can you explain that in terms of Gears 123 & 12345678
  • Slamdunkin
    Slamdunkin Posts: 355
    You will grind down the teeth on your cogs quite quickly and the chain is being constantly pulled sideways which will cause chain slip and excessive wear.

On the front small ring you can use 1st - 4th gear
    all the range on the front middle
    and 5th - 8th gear on the front large ring.
  • Red Route
    Red Route Posts: 59
    Thankyou, that makes more sense.
    Could'nt be bothered to work it out myself, only just getting used to 3 Cogs, just went for a little burn up & down my own little offroad track I live on & it makes sense.