What wildlife do you see on your commute

ghandissandal
ghandissandal Posts: 2
edited June 2010 in Commuting chat
Newbie here. Just started commuting and wondered what wildlife you see on your way. Mine is normally loads of rabbits but nearly knocked a fox down today!

Comments

• notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    Parakeets, bloody loads of them in Hyde Park/Richmond Park!
  • Matt the Tester
    Matt the Tester Posts: 1,261
    usually the next door neighbour! she keeps shittin all over the bloody place!
    Coveryourcar.co.uk RT Tester
    north west of england.
  • nstevo
    nstevo Posts: 42
    I had to cycle round a gruffalo eating a jackelope this morning! Nothing unusual. :twisted:
  • Splottboy
    Splottboy Posts: 3,695
    From my front/back garden...

Fox, herons, buzzards, eels, newts, pigeons, doves, plovers, cats, sheep, slugs, snails, cows and calf in our field, and Whispering Bats in our attic.

Oh, and light aircraft from C'fon airport and Hawk trainers, big bloody Yank F 16's or something like em from RAF Valley. Sikorsky Jolly Green Giant yesterday and smaller choppers most days.

Prob Prince "whats-his-name" in Sea King too.

See most of this riding too.
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    White Van Man
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    This week i have seen 1 badger (dead) 1 fox (dead) several unidentifyable birds (too dead to identify) several squirrels (dead) 1 cat (dead) and tonight on the way home a ford fiesta (very dead)
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Best I've seen have been Red Kites - often barely 50 feet overhead. Deer as well though those are really just very large rats.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Frodo1095
    Frodo1095 Posts: 252
    Wallabies, wild pigs, hawks and possums mainly.
  • prj45
    prj45 Posts: 2,208
    Frodo1095 wrote:
    Wallabies, wild pigs, hawks and possums mainly.

And from what remember of Rotorua lots of steam!
  • nstevo
    nstevo Posts: 42
    I saw a wild welshman today. Very nasty.
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    Deer, squirrels (too many of the little buggers), foxes, birds.. including the odd demented pheasant. llama, cows, horses (too many). The odd dead badger and a dead rat or two. Oh yeah, bloody rabbits too.

Once in winter I was riding down the middle of a snow-covered lane with a barn owl (well, definitely an owl) about 10 feet in front of me just above head height. Utterly noiseless, and stunning. That image'll stay with you.
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    I have dodged:

Rabbits
    Hares
    Sheep
    Cows
    Horses
    Mental teenage girls. (bugger off the lot of you)
    Ghosts (go look it up...)
    Foxes
    Snails / Slugs - thousands and thousands and thousands of the fecking squishy little feckers all on one morning
    Eaten more midges than I care to think about

I miss that Bridleway....
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Frodo1095
    Frodo1095 Posts: 252
    And from what remember of Rotorua lots of steam!

Also bubbling mud as I can ride past some of the thermal areas to get to work, fun on a cold morning as the steam can obscure the track for brief periods when the wind blows it your way and the last thing you want to do is ride off into hot bubbling sulphurous mud/water.
  • prj45
    prj45 Posts: 2,208
    Frodo1095 wrote:
    Also bubbling mud as I can ride past some of the thermal areas to get to work, fun on a cold morning as the steam can obscure the track for brief periods when the wind blows it your way and the last thing you want to do is ride off into hot bubbling sulphurous mud/water.

Now that's a commute I'd like to join you on. Surely the coolest commute on the board!
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    This morning a dead squirrel, but sometimes the local fox who is just about fearless and walks down the main shopping road near my house in the late evening without a care int he worlds.

Ohh and scabby pidgeons as I go past trafalgar sq.
  • Zephr
    Zephr Posts: 60
    I see a fair amount of muppets on a daily basis. does that count?
    FCN 11. When you hear the buzz of the nobblies, you know youve been scalped.
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    Does anyone see any pond life? Often seen near Wetherspoons.
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    Zephr wrote:
    I see a fair amount of muppets on a daily basis. does that count?

Coming from the same way as you, yes it does...
  • Oddjob62
    Oddjob62 Posts: 1,056
    The odd giraffe depending on the time of day, but can often hear the monkeys screaming.

Oh and a couple of Zebras the other day.
    As yet unnamed (Dolan Seta)
    Joelle (Focus Expert SRAM)
  • Splottboy
    Splottboy Posts: 3,695
    Giraffes? You got some neck, sonny!
  • Norky
    Norky Posts: 276
    davis wrote:
    Once in winter I was riding down the middle of a snow-covered lane with a barn owl (well, definitely an owl) about 10 feet in front of me just above head height. Utterly noiseless, and stunning. That image'll stay with you.

Wasn't I once riding with you when some bird of prey took off out of a hedge (it seems) and flew along keeping pace the other side of the hedge (I suppose hoping we might flush out something small, furry and scared)? Aye, moments like that are kind of special.
    The above is a post in a forum on the Intertubes, and should be taken with the appropriate amount of seriousness.
  • Oddjob62
    Oddjob62 Posts: 1,056
    Splottboy wrote:
    Giraffes? You got some neck, sonny!
    :lol:

My commute takes me past London Zoo... part of the Africa enclosure is right next to the road.
    As yet unnamed (Dolan Seta)
    Joelle (Focus Expert SRAM)
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Deer, foxes, rabbits, hares, pheasants, various big birds of prey (red kites mostly), various farm animals (cows, highland coos, sheep, bulls, horses, dogs, cats - though they don't count as wildlife), dolphins, seals
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • AndyManc
    AndyManc Posts: 1,393
    Mostly these .

hichavs.png

And.

chavtivity.jpg

Specialized Hardrock Pro/Trek FX 7.3 Hybrid/Specialized Enduro/Specialized Tri-Cross Sport
    URBAN_MANC.png
  • cyclingmev
    cyclingmev Posts: 105
    sheeps (multi-breed), horses (gypsy cobs), cows (bigs uns and little uns), donkeys (Ben and John, combined age of 65), hedgepigs (usually of the ex variety), barn owl (he's very good at hovering above you when bikeling - that's me bikeling, not him) and not forgetting 'the beast' (uber fast Ribble bikelist dude)... :lol:
    i like bike