A bit lost as to what to do

Boy Lard
Boy Lard Posts: 445
edited June 2010 in MTB beginners
I've recently strated cycling again after quite a few years of no exercise what so ever. I have dusted off my old Trek 850 MTB which I have always liked, (no suspension, centre pull brakes, low end shimano front and back) but it has never really seen any MTB action. I ride through the woods to the canal, but it is all pathways, however uneven they may be, and then along the canal, and then maybe some roads to get back home a different way.

My question really is how do I start "mounting biking" rather than riding on roads and paths. I have no idea where to go to be quite honest.

This issue is only pressing at the moment because I am currently cycling to work on said MTB and I am considering buying a new bike. If I'm never going to manage to do anything other than cycle frustedly up and down the canal, I may as well get a good hybrid to make the commute easier, but what I really want is a nice medium priced hardtail MTB and actually get on some trail somewhere.

I live in Bradford, there are lots of hills and moors, I would expect there are some really great rides around this neck of the woods, but I think my Googling skills have deserted me, or I am just looking in the wrong places.

The shiny new bikes in the magazines are taunting me as we speak.

Regards,
Boylard

Comments

• matt748
    matt748 Posts: 194
    For the rides, post a msg in the 'routes' section. There's always someone that'll be from your area with local knowledge of routes.

Trek Fuel EX8 '09
    My Pics
  • Boy Lard
    Simple answer. Thank you.
  • matt748
    matt748 Posts: 194
    Oh, and the shiny bike syndrone never goes away 8)

Trek Fuel EX8 '09
    My Pics
  • fredy
    fredy Posts: 308
    Just go out riding, head towards hills and woodland and take any beaten path you see. Just explore. Google earth is good to find woodland etc. and helps you find a rough path to take.
  • carbonfiend
    carbonfiend Posts: 475
    get lost :D , no insult intended but when I first started riding in the forest I was told by the experienced bods the best way to learn the forest it is to get myself lost in it.
    '..all the bad cats in the bad hats..'
  • Boy Lard
    Guess I'll just go out and see what I find. Hopefully that will include other MTBers in the local area.
  • Frodo1095
    Frodo1095 Posts: 252
    You could try asking in the shop you got your bike from.

Chances are if they sell em they will be riding em, so will know of some routes / areas you could go.
  • smithieg
    smithieg Posts: 7
    I live in Bradford too and had the same problem. Took me a while but eventually found a few places to find routes. I'm sure there are more but these are a selction of some of what I found. As soon as you head north a little around skipton etc you are spoilt for choice, but there are places to ride locally too.

http://www.yorkshire.com/nationaltrails ... ey_MTB.pdf
    http://www.mtbdales.com/index.php
    http://www.cycle-route.com/routes/West_ ... s-109.html
    http://www.mtbthedales.org.uk/mtb-home/ ... aroute.htm
    http://www.mtbsharp.co.uk/routes/n_yorks/index.html

Hope this helps!
  • Boy Lard
    Cool, thanks for that. I'm just going to go explore this afternoon. I think what I really need is someone to cycle with. I feel I need a bit more personal fitness before I slow anyone else down too much though.
  • Boy Lard
    Note to self: Do not wear 3/4 pants and fingerless gloves if you don't know where you are going.

Nettles, brambles and thorns have all left there mark on fingers and lower legs today. Will be better prepaired next time.
  • Oxygen Thief
    Oxygen Thief Posts: 649
    Haha, I do that all the time. Fuck it though it's all fun. But I ahve read about people getting infections and stuff from brambles scratching them etc so I've been tempted to invest in some protection for down there.
  • Oxygen Thief
    Haha, I do that all the time. Fuck it though it's all fun. But I ahve read about people getting infections and stuff from brambles scratching them etc so I've been tempted to invest in some protection for down there.
  • Oxygen Thief
  • fletch8928
    fletch8928 Posts: 794
    Do not just trust google, go and get a couple of OS maps of your area and look for the bigger green dashes (bridleways) and look at linking them up. i hi-light all my local routes.

Buy full finger gloves. Do not worry about nettles,brambles or small trees. you will soon learn to ride past them without getting to stung or scratched.

A riding buddy is good. Take it from me, most riders are happy to just be out riding. Some may moan about about having to wait but most will happily go out and help with your technique, guide you through any mechanical issues and just by following them, make you fitter.

Have a go at riding on your bike as it is. I started off many many moons ago and it was all rigid bike riding. I do the same trails nowadays so its fine to start off with. If you do take to it then look at getting a new bike. If you dont get on with mtbing then you know what bike to buy.
    fly like a mouse, run like a cushion be the small bookcase!
  • Boy Lard
    Well, I just sort of got lost today and kept going till I saw something I recognised. It felt great to be off the beaten track and although my distance covered wasn't great, it really made me feel like that is what I wanted to be doing. I think a few more rides like that and I will be more confident that spending a significant amount of money on an off road bike is what I should be doing.

I'm still open to offers of someone giving me a guided tour of local, or not so local rides, but I think I porobably can manage to go on my own from here if I have to.
  • fletch8928
    fletch8928 Posts: 794
    Good lad.
    Don't go rushing into a new bike. Enjoy the looking, dreaming and wanting that shinier and better machine
    fly like a mouse, run like a cushion be the small bookcase!
  • sophsoph
    sophsoph Posts: 24
    matt748 wrote:
    Oh, and the shiny bike syndrone never goes away 8)

truuuueeeee .sadly they don't remain shiny or new for long :cry:
  • Two years ago I was 18 stone and humungously unfit. A chance visit to a mountain bike centre, bike hire and ride and my seven year old's obsession later, I am four stone lighter, hundreds if not thousands of £s lighter and completely obsessed with the sport. Best thing that ever happened to me beyond marriage and fatherhood. If you have been bitten by the bug you are a goner, save frantically and buy the best bike you can for your riding. Trouble is, the choice is vast, so best to hire and demo what you can, then get advice from a good LBS/club on what you need for what you are doing. Got myself a new bike a month ago and couldn't stop looking at it's shininess. You have one foot in the bike shop and the other on a bar of soap but you are going to love it! :D
  • rubins4
    rubins4 Posts: 563
    fletch8928 wrote:
    Good lad.
    Don't go rushing into a new bike. Enjoy the looking, dreaming and wanting that shinier and better machine

I like the sentiment.

I find that the 'want' gets too much and I spend too quickely and all of a sudden that feeling is gone.

Be patient, padawan.
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... t=12613038
    Anyway, fk dis, I iz off 4 a ride innit. l8rz peepz
  • Boy Lard
    Too late.

Test rides on Friday afternoon.

I think my old bike might be slightly too small, because despite much shifting of saddle and handle bar positions I still feel like I am carrying too much weight on my arms, and I get pins and needles in my fingers and thumbs when riding for any length of time. I'm hoping that a different geometry, or slightly larger frame may help with this.

Damn the coincidence of 0% finance and payday.